Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday Peter Wheels Bedford

Warming the Bench

Happy Birthday Peter Wheels Bedford

Wheels turns 70 today a great footballer & cricketer one of the best slips or gully fielders in cricket I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
    Wheels turns 70 today a great footballer & cricketer one of the best slips or gully fielders in cricket I have seen.
    My favorite Swan ever. Happy birthday Wheels.
    You Just Do Not Get a Better Grand Final Win Than That

i still remember him ringing me up from home when I was about 10 in response to a letter I wrote to him. he will always be a champion to me in a period when we didn't have many

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    i still remember him ringing me up from home when I was about 10 in response to a letter I wrote to him. he will always be a champion to me in a period when we didn't have many
    Yep, in those days all we had to look forward to were Brownlow Medals. Fortunately, Wheels and Bobby produced for us! Both champion footballers and great blokes with huge red and white hearts.

Veterans List
    He is also one of those people who have a fantastic memory of people and their names.

Warming the Bench
    I was surprised around grand final time last year when Bedford was announced as the club's nominee for the cup presentation.

My recollection is that he did not embrace the move to Sydney & it was only in recent years that he got on board.

Happy Birthday to Peter. We've spoken on numerous occasions and I've always found him to be an utter gentleman. He still lives locally and does a lot of voluntary work in the area as well. I reckon he would have been a good bloke to have a beer with in his younger days.

Veterans List
    Growing up my three favourite players were Skilts (of course!) then Peter Bedford and then John Rantall (but then he went to Norf!). Loved the way Bedford went about his footy! Happy birthday to you Peter!

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Growing up my three favourite players were Skilts (of course!) then Peter Bedford and then John Rantall (but then he went to Norf!). Loved the way Bedford went about his footy! Happy birthday to you Peter!
    When John Rantall went to North, I was pleased for him. (He deserved some extra reward for being the player & person he was.)

Quote Originally Posted by 56-14 View Post
    I was surprised around grand final time last year when Bedford was announced as the club's nominee for the cup presentation.

My recollection is that he did not embrace the move to Sydney & it was only in recent years that he got on board.
    Your recollection is pretty good. It is true that he, in his words "cracked the @@@@s" with the move, despite always maintaining an interest. It wasn't until people like Tony Morwood and others encouraged him to get on board that he re embraced the club.

Good on him. The word champion is bandied around often these days, but in relation to Peter Bedford is more of an understatement of the qualities of the man.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Wheels was a great player and much underrated especially considering the terrible team we were in the late 1970s. No one could do a blind turn better than him, for the younger ones , he was a bit like Sam Mitchell only a bit faster.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Never saw him play - before my Swans time - but many happy returns, and kudos, to one of the very great. I was delighted to see him back in the tent.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast