Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Media Onslaught

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    It was on the MMM Melbourne show on Sunday before the Blues Bombers game. I don't know if they record it for later streaming or not.
    Link https://player.fm/series/the-rub-cat...nday-9th-april
    "it doesn't have to be a legal handball when you've had no prior"
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 10th April 2017 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added link
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I thought a good tackler pins the arms so the only way the ball-holder can be seen to make a genuine attempt to dispose legally is to drop the ball and attempt to kick it (and a genuine attempt to kick it would be a play on, even if the player missed the kick).

But if a throw is deemed a genuine attempt to correctly dispose, does that mean get one hand free and throw is ok? Or is it only a two-handed throw that is ok? And if so, presumably the player is deemed to have been attempting to correctly handball even though it ends up as a throw.

[B]Oh what a confusing game this can be ........!
    What's confusing is the continuous tinkering of interpretations. If a player has no prior opportunity to correctly dispose of the ball when tackled, then a ball up should occur. Simple logic.
    If a player has had prior opportunity or takes a tackler on and does not legally dispose of the ball which includes throwing or dropping the ball, then the tackler should be rewarded with a free kick. Again simple logic.
    What the powers to be should decide is to provide interpretations of prior and no prior opportunity. This would eliminate a lot of confusion.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    Dogs didn't win the free kick count in this game.
    Yep. Didn't get an armchair ride and didn't win the game. Lovely! (They still got away with numerous throws, though. And they didn't actually lose the free kick count, either. Breaking even with free kicks is a "getting a bad go" for them!)

Media Onslaught

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    It was on the MMM Melbourne show on Sunday before the Blues Bombers game. I don't know if they record it for later streaming or not.
    Link https://player.fm/series/the-rub-cat...nday-9th-april
    "it doesn't have to be a legal handball when you've had no prior"
    Thanks for posting that link, really interesting and worth a listen.

What Schwab is saying is consistent with Law 15.2.3 which I posted earlier - that without prior opportunity it is sufficient for the ball-holder to have made a genuine attempt to Correctly Dispose of the football after being given a reasonable opportunity to do so - that the attempt in itself doesn't necessarily have to be successful. *

I'm still not sure what that means in the circumstance where the ball-holder simply throws the ball without any attempt to make a correct handball action.

(* Note: this is why I think Jones got caught in the Bulldogs match, he was deemed not to have made an attempt to dispose as he kept clinging on to the ball.)

Also interesting that Schwab is asked about the below-the-knees free kick against Hannebery which Schwab agrees with (as do I) but in answering the question he alludes to the fact that Hannebery himself should have got a free in the GF for the same reason but it went the other way - an irony that was not lost on any of us.

Schwab also mentions that he had a long talk with Longmire about HTB/prior opportunity. I wish we knew what was said, it would help all of us to understand the Law and the interpretation the umpires are making. But I don't suppose we will be told what transpired between them.

It is also worth watching the 'Whistleblowers' video posted on AFL site today which includes footage and discussion of potential HTB incidents.

Warming the Bench
    I hope Longmire ensures that what he gained from his discussion with Schwab is quickly passed on to the players.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Interesting comment by Schwab. What law 15.2.3 says is:

-----

a) Where the field Umpire is satisfied that a Player in possession of the football:

(ii) has not had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football, the field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against that Player if, upon being Correctly Tackled, the Player does not Correctly Dispose or genuinely attempt to Correctly Dispose of the football after being given a reasonable opportunity to do so;

----

I would have thought throwing the ball would not be regarded as "genuinely attempt to Correctly Dispose of the football".

But if that is what Schwab is saying is how the umpires' now interpret the law, then start throwing as soon as you feel a tackle (without prior) Swanny boys!
    A Freo player was tackled to the ground by his right arm. He attempted to dispose of the ball but did so by throwing it with his left hand along the ground. The camera was zoomed right on it....play on. Goes way against the rule you quoted. Looks like it is rules on the run.

The difference between the rule interpretations from round 2 to round 3 was astounding. It was not only the leniency on the HTB calls, but on lots of the rules as well. There was plenty of pushing in the back, holding and arm chopping that went uncalled as well. I'm happy with the new lighter version of rule interpretations, but it would be nice to get some consistency from the AFL. With the Swans having so many Thursday and Friday games we will be the guinea pigs for the whimsical side of footy umpiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    A Freo player was tackled to the ground by his right arm. He attempted to dispose of the ball but did so by throwing it with his left hand along the ground. The camera was zoomed right on it....play on. Goes way against the rule you quoted. Looks like it is rules on the run.
    Assuming the player did not have prior opportunity the situation you describe is probably covered by (e) under Law 15.2.4 (which I didn't post earlier).

----

15.2.4 Application � Specific Instances where Play shall Continue

For the avoidance of doubt, the field Umpire shall allow play to continue when:

(a) a Player is bumped and the football falls from the Player�s hands;

(b) a Player�s arm is knocked which causes the Player to lose possession of the football;

(c) a Player�s arms are pinned to their side by an opponent which causes the Player to drop the football, unless the Player has had a prior opportunity to Correctly Dispose of the football, in which case Law 15.2.3 (a) shall apply;

(d) a Player, whilst in the act of Correctly Disposing of the football, is swung off-balance and does not make contact with the football by either foot or hand, unless the Player has had a prior opportunity to Correctly Dispose of the football, in which case Law 15.2.3 (a) shall apply; or

(e) a Player is pulled or swung by one arm which causes the football to fall from the Player�s hands, unless the Player has had a prior opportunity to Correctly Dispose of the football, in which case Law 15.2.3 (a) shall apply.

----

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Yep. Didn't get an armchair ride and didn't win the game. Lovely! (They still got away with numerous throws, though. And they didn't actually lose the free kick count, either. Breaking even with free kicks is a "getting a bad go" for them!)
    Indeed. They definitely struggle when they aren't favoured.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123