Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 4 - West Coast

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Pretty hard to prove when he hasnt played a senior game for well over a year. Thought he has been fairly competitive in the seniors in the past and if given the opportunity I'm sure he'd give it his all unlike Cunningham who seems neither here nor there. His consistency in the NEAFL warrants it. He seems to be getting more possessions than before
    If Jack can't kick the ball at NEAFL level, there's no reason to suddenly think he's going to start doing it at senior level. I agree Cunningham is frustrating. He hasn't delivered at senior level on a consistent basis. But unlike Jack, I think he has the basic skills to do so. It doesn't matter how hard Jack were to try if selected. If you can't kick the ball, you become a liability.

Not happy about Cunningham either but not much to choose from for the role they will want him to play, it was probably him or Towers but I do not understand Dawson out Foote retained. With Papley and Cunningham in I thought Dawson would add better balance being able to cover in Def or Fwd, oh well.

Cheers

I think we should pull Sinclair as a precaution and not risk him being injured for the Giants' game next week. We need him to be sacrificed to the Mummy. Our other ruckmen are too fragile for that kind of assignment. We don't have to put anyone in the ruck contests. Their ruckmen don't know what they're doing anyway, so we are more likely to win the ball by just laying back.

I agree with Liz that Cunningham has much better skills than Brandon Jack. You don't want Jack getting the ball because he just turns it over. Cunningham hardly gets the ball, so little risk of turning it over. We shouldn't underestimate the Cunningham 'intimidation' factor. We can't give up on Harry. He will be around for 3 more years.

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoJim View Post
    Cunningham to come in for a tagging role on Mitchell?
    What a joke. Harry will get killed. He has the intensity of a used condom at the moment and Mitchell will murder him. You just can't take the peddle off against Sam Mitchell as he is the best inside mid in the comp, not to mention the best disposer in the comp. I'd play Foote on him. Not because Foote displays any great skill but exactly becaue he doesn't. He is tight and is a good tagger and I think could take Mitchell and bury him every time he gets the ball.

Sheesh forgot about Ladler
    He'd be feeling pretty poor, he'd be an easy pick in this side

Senior Player
    It is strange as I reckon he could ruck - Towers like - in a pinch. Luckily the Weagles don't have a great ruck presence at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I thought Cunningham's skills were a level above most of the other Swans last week (at NEAFL level). They were certainly a whole lot better than Jack's.
    I watched the game again today Liz and his lack of intensity at the contest is not only puzzling it is worrying. His short kicks were good but his long kicks were ordinary, not put to the advantage of the forwards. In fact Toby Pink and Murray made him look good several times by providing hard contests. It isn't just his skills, which were better than BJs but the intensity is missing.

No, Fisher's skills were far better than Harry's, having seen the replay so were Edward's skills.

Still in the naughty corner for the kick OOB on the full?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think we should pull Sinclair as a precaution and not risk him being injured for the Giants' game next week. We need him to be sacrificed to the Mummy. Our other ruckmen are too fragile for that kind of assignment. We don't have to put anyone in the ruck contests. Their ruckmen don't know what they're doing anyway, so we are more likely to win the ball by just laying back .
    Yes, it seems to be fashionable not to contest the ruck on occasion. Apparently Sandilands got so confused when no one went up against him one time he punched the ball OOB and gave away a free kick.

Couldn't do it every time though or even the dumbest ruck opponent would get the hang of punching the ball halfway to the goal square.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    What a joke. Harry will get killed. He has the intensity of a used condom at the moment and Mitchell will murder him. You just can't take the peddle off against Sam Mitchell as he is the best inside mid in the comp, not to mention the best disposer in the comp. I'd play Foote on him. Not because Foote displays any great skill but exactly becaue he doesn't. He is tight and is a good tagger and I think could take Mitchell and bury him every time he gets the ball.
    My first thought was that Cunningham had come in to tag Mitchell (he's had some tagging roles before from memory), but you could be right about Foote. Averages 5 tackles a game in his 3 games.

I'm happy for Papley to come back. He's in our best 22 and obviously judged to be fit enough. We need forwards who lead and mark. He'll also chase and tackle. His first game of AFL was pretty handy from memory, so can pick up the intensity quickly.

Cunningham better have a blinder, but again I don't mind the selection. It's not as though Dawson was prolific defensively last week. We also seemed a bit too weighed to youth last weekend.

Having said that, slightly surprised we didn't select Melican. Suggests Aliir won't pinch hut in the ruck too much (leaving our forward line super small when Reid does).

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Couldn't do it every time though or even the dumbest ruck opponent would get the hang of punching the ball halfway to the goal square.
    Not so sure about that. Want to reconsider?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post

No, Fisher's skills were far better than Harry's, having seen the replay so were Edward's skills.
    I had Edwards up there with Jack as the worst skilled player on the board (at least of the listed senior players). Neither can kick. Edwards had one set shot at goal from well within the 50m arc and barely any angle and he managed to kick it OOBOTF.