Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 4 - West Coast

Good media conference by Longmire this afternoon. He said Tippett's selection depended on how Kurt went in this afternoon's training session and that he would only be on the plane later in the day if they were confident he could play.

So any spotters at the airport this afternoon?

Could see Cameron getting a game, WA boy
    Would be good to see that Edwards run around with Yeo

Out: 1st Quarter (omitted)

So no breaking news from the airport. Are there any Perth fans who can go to the open training session at Leederville Oval beginning at 8.30am, and tell us who is there?

We could just wait for the team announcement but the tension is building .......

Warming the Bench
    Off topic, but since Meg has mentioned "spotters" - please, has anyone "spotted" Isaac (at or near the clubrooms, games, training sessions, etc.) since the announcement of him having glandular fever?

Quote Originally Posted by 56-14 View Post
    Off topic, but since Meg has mentioned "spotters" - please, has anyone "spotted" Isaac (at or near the clubrooms, games, training sessions, etc.) since the announcement of him having glandular fever?
    Does instagram count? There was a photo of him training today.

Pushing for Selection
    We are struggling in the back line, without ramps we are slow and lack confidence. We need to find a back man who can attack when required and defend like his life depends on it.... hard to do I know. Laidler is a solid contributor and the wrangles are a big and slick fwd line. Could be ugly if we are inexperienced down back. Reid may need to be back all game as a loose this week. We need talia in the team asap. He's the next most experienced back. We are getting scored against easier than ever.

Edwards does have X factor.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by monopoly19 View Post
    Does instagram count? There was a photo of him training today.
    Don't know about instagram - but many thanks - the first indication I've seen that he's up & about.

Quote Originally Posted by 56-14 View Post
    Don't know about instagram - but many thanks - the first indication I've seen that he's up & about.
    Longmire said in today's media conference that Heeney was training today but he wouldn't be going to Perth. From what's been said it sounds as if all health signs are good for Heeney but the Swans are being very careful easing him back, given the propensity for glandular fever symptoms to return.

Veterans List
    Tippett seen at Perth airport, must be playing.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I hope they give Dawson another chance - Subiaco may suit him, being a longer ground, and thus (at least in theory) may encourage us to play with some more structure, especially going forward. His best work in reserves that I have seen is when he can play off a half forward flank, and make use of the booming kick he has.

Yes I agree. But I will say that time and again last week he presented very good leads and was ignored. Those pushing for him to be dropped should remember Lloyd's first game where he was out on his own, the opposition must have thought he had leprosy, so often but got ignored and as a consequence only got around 16 disposals. The times that the players did kick to Dawson he was manned up or on the boundary and they had no choice. If he gets a chance at goal from 50-65 metres he'll most likely kick it. Agree about the flank. Put him & Bud as flankers, move him up the ground. But still maintain the fast guy on the HBF bolter or bolters.

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Sinclair, Foote Out
    Tippo, Edwards, wasn't he supposed to be a good pickup and yet he cant get a game in a team so young ???

Also what about Talia ?

Given the current age/exp of our team I don't think it is too big a deal playing guys thru the 1s instead of the NEAFL
    If Papley was picked all he would need to do is get in 12 times and lay 3 tackles and he would be ahead of most of our kids.
    Same goes with Rohan, Heeney etc. NEAFL is top grade amateurs at best, far from the VFL, if they are fit, id play them
    I don't agree that NEAFL is that far from VFL now. The independent tames in the VFL get flogged every week just like the independent NEAFL teams do. Playing Lions, GWS & Suns 4 times makes up for weak teams but there are some good sides like Sydney Uni and NT Thunder. Aspley were strong last year witn many players from the VFL, WAFL & SANFL. Southport recruited very well this year but it didn't help them last week. Uni recruited very well again and players from the major states and ex AFL players are prevalent in their ranks. The VFL would benefit from a cull in clubs to make the competition stronger as the competition has been weakened in the last few years by interstate clubs, like the NEAFL clubs, competing with them for players. Add to that the talent that went to the Suns and GWS who after not making it there are actually playing for NEAFL clubs instead of returning home to the stronger footy states. This has strengthened the NEAFL no end. But talent will always win out and inevitably, like the VFL, it will be the clubs who have reserves teams or the like (Box Hill Hawks) that dominate. The only reason others will compete now is if they have an advantage and they do in all matches of the NEAFL. In the VFL over the last few years the stand alone clubs have struggled.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast