Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 2: Sydney Swans Reserves v Southport Sharks @ Blacktown

Round 2: Sydney Swans Reserves v Southport Sharks @ Blacktown

Sydney Swans v Southport - YouTube

Hope it works.....

NEAFL ROUND 2

Sydney Swans v Southport Sharks

Saturday, April 7 at BISP, 1.30pm

*This match will be streamed live on NEAFL TV (youtube.com/northeastafl)
    *Live Champion Data statistics available on the NEAFL App.

SUMMARY

Both Sydney and Southport look to secure their first wins of the season after disappointing Round 1 losses. The Swans fell to a strong Lions outfit while the Sharks had the better of Sydney University before fading in the second half. While the Sharks have lost their only two encounters to the Swans, they showed promising signs they can match it with the best when they went toe-to-toe with the Students for three quarters last week. Both teams struggled in giving away too many free kicks in their first games, so smart play and good judgement will be key factors for both teams.

RECENT ENCOUNTERS

Round 4, 2016: Sydney 12.13 (85) d Southport 6.9 (45) at Drummoyne Oval.
    Round 6, 2015: Sydney 14.13 (97) d Southport 6.9 (45) at BISP.

TEAMS

Sydney

B: 32. Michael Talia 21. Jack Maibaum 58. Hamish MacDonald
    HB: 11. Jeremy Laidler 43. Lewis Melican 38. Colin O�Riordan
    C: 57. Luke Robertson 33. Brandon Jack 56. Cooper Lee
    HF: 1. James Rose 47. Toby Pink 53. Sam Barkley
    F: 30. Tyrone Leonardis 46. Sam Murray 54. Max Lower
    Foll: 59. Joe Stapleton 45. Sam Fisher 49. Will Gowers
    Inter: 7. Harry Cunningham 19. Shaun Edwards 17. Darcy Cameron 22. Dean Towers
    Emer: N/A.
    In: 57. Luke Roberston 58. Hamish MacDonald 11. Jeremy Laidler 7. Harry Cunningham
    Out: 52. Jack Mapleson 6. Jordan Foote 34. Jordan Dawson 18. Callum Sinclair

Southport

B: 24. Dylan Mutu 12. Jon Croad 27. Tom Thynne*
    HB: 7. James Holland 15. Nick Crowley 28. Rob Clements
    C: 4. Blake Erickson 3. Haydn Kiel 8. Seb Tape
    HF: 5. Andrew Boston 45. Hamish Shepheard 26. Cody Filewood
    F: 34. Isaac Franks 14. Matt Fowler 33. Matt Doran
    Foll: 25. Fraser Thurlow 1. Jordan Keras 17. Mitch Johnson
    Inter: 30. Adam McKenzie 18. Seb Rogers 31. Brandon Chadwick 23. Jed Turner 38. Brady Egan
    Emer: 19. Josh Baxter 40. Jack O�Shea
    In: Nil
    Out: Nil

*Denotes 23rd player.

TALKING POINTS

1. It was a disappointing end to last week�s match for Southport when they had Sydney University on the ropes, only to give away several un-disciplined free kicks which quickly turned the momentum in the Students� favour. It will be crucial for the Sharks to remain composed and focused if they are a chance of upsetting the NEAFL�s traditional powerhouse on their home deck.

2. Sydney�s defence will have a big role to play in the outcome of this game when they come up against the Sharks� twin towers of former Subiaco forward Hamish Shepheard and West Perth premiership player Matt Fowler. Throw in the class of Andrew Boston at half-forward and emerging youngster Cody Filewood, and the Swans will need to remain accountable in the back half.

3. Southport midfielder Jordan Keras is fast-becoming a clearance powerhouse in the NEAFL. In his last four matches, stemming back to Round 19 last year, he�s averaged 11.2 clearances a game. A true barometer of the Sharks� engine room, Keras will need another big performance this weekend to set up play for Southport.

ROOKIE WATCH

Former Gold Coast Suns Academy member Cody Filewood is growing in stature with every NEAFL game. He played only four NEAFL games last year but has started 2017 with a bang. The 19-year-old has been Southport�s highest goalkicker in all practice matches, plus Round 1 last week, with a total 13 goals from four games so far.

STATS THAT MATTER

Southport has never won a NEAFL match at Blacktown in three attempts stemming back to 2015, with an average losing margin of 40 points.
    Last edited by aardvark; 8th April 2017 at 01:34 PM.

Ugg must be on holidays.....thanks to the NEAFL site for the promo.

Good preview aardvark - not quite at the Ugg standard level, but in his absence, a fine effort

Gee there isn't a lot going on in our midfield on paper - will be interesting to see how we go. Hoping for a big game from Darcy Cameron today!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veteran Site Admin
    The southport team has just walked past me, down the race after their warm up. They are huge!

Warming the Bench
    Glad you are there Liz! Remember your learning points from last week? ????

Warming the Bench
    Watching the stream. Cunningham has scored the first goal of a pretty scrappy quarter. Edwards, Murray, Maibaum have stood out to me.
    Towers - oh dear

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby_bolts View Post
    Glad you are there Liz! Remember your learning points from last week? ??
    Yeah, I did kinda remember them at the start of the second quarter but then dozed off a bit. Will try to do better in the second half.

Senior Player
    Just tuned into the stream to see a couple of goals from Pink. I think that's four all up. He's pretty mobile, decent pace for a big man.

Senior Player
    Pink ended up with 6 - great effort!

From what I saw B.Jack, O'Riordan and possibly Cameron are a chance. Leonardis was OK too. I know Jack has been tried a few times but he is on the list - if he is doing well in the 2's you have to give him a go - Subi would suit him too.

Liz what do you make of James Rose? He looks really lazy on tv.
    Does anyone know anything about "Chucky" Robertson? He looked ok.
    Last edited by aardvark; 8th April 2017 at 05:19 PM.

Not much for our defence to do, but Laidler was probably the best of the lot. Melican not bad either. Talia looks lackadaisical.

Sam Fisher was BOG for me. Looks a very likely AFL prospect. Good skills and good vision.

Rose was also good. Worked hard and kicked a few goals. Could be ready for a call up.

Edwards' pace and poise would be helpful in a young Swans side. I wouldn't mind seeing him come in for one of the youngsters. His AFL experience is evident.

Cameron played well, even though he didn't kick any goals. His ruck work was solid, as well as his general play around the ground. Looks to be a better choice than Sinclair and maybe even a better choice than Naismith.

Toby Pink kicked 6 goals and looks a reasonable prospect considering he was the last pick in the draft.

Murray continues to make progress and has come a long way from this time last year.

Jack, Towers and Cunningham had good numbers, but didn't have much impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    Pink ended up with 6 - great effort!

From what I saw B.Jack, O'Riordan and possibly Cameron are a chance. Leonardis was OK too. I know Jack has been tried a few times but he is on the list - if he is doing well in the 2's you have to give him a go - Subi would suit him too.
    Pink has something about him - I liked some of his work, and looks to have a decent tank.

Cameron did ok - was unselfish late to give away a couple that he could of kicked himself. Will be interesting to see what the ruck stats were from today. I'm not convinced he did enough to be picked for next week however.

Jack and Rose both did some good things but also some sloppy things. I agree that Subi could suit Brandon Jack, so must be a possibility.

All in all it was nice to see a Swans team in season 2017 win!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast