Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Round 2: Sydney Swans Reserves v Southport Sharks @ Blacktown

We know that Towers and Cunningham can perform well enough in the reserves, but they have also shown their weaknesses at senior level. I would put them on ball 100% game time with no breaks. It's the only hope of getting any improvement out of them, even though it's a long shot.

BJ gets plenty of ball, but still makes poor decisions and doesn't use it well. He always seems to get in the Bests, but I can't see him moving up to senior level on current form.

Fisher, on the other hand, uses the ball smartly. He's one of those players that just has the look of an AFL player. He does things that would stand up in the AFL, like Lloyd, Hewett and Newman before him. I think he could be a very hand player. He's played mostly forward and through the midfield, but I can see him as a small defender as well due to his pinpoint kicking and good decision making.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    The curse of the NEAFL. So hard to guage form.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    Yes and no. Last week they were comfortably beaten by a strong Lions outfit, and we can hope that the other two AFL reserves sides will also be highly competitive. The Thunder normally have a strong team too.

The lack of pressure yesterday highlighted the ordinary skill level of several of our players. If you can't even line up to try and hit a target when you're playing against black and white witches' hats, what hope do you have of doing so against an AFL side. A couple of our players don't seem to even try to kick the ball properly. They just drop it vaguely in the direction of their feet and take a swing.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Don't underestimate how ordinary Southport was yesterday. As I wrote earlier in the thread, their team is packed with tall, strongly built players and they had a swagger about them that suggested they might be a decent opponent. But after the first few minutes they barely put up any resistance. The contrast with the Lions team that comfortably outplayed the same Swans outfit last week was stark. And the Swans team of, say, a couple of seasons back would have beaten them by 200, not 100.

I did enjoy the performances of a handful of the top-ups. They were all pretty reasonable and got involved far more than last week. But I mentally jotted down 57, 50 and 53 who did a few things that caught my eye. When I later checked the numbers I found that 57 was Robertson and 53 Barkley. But, unless I am going blind, I can't see a number 50 listed on the team sheet. He was a tall, lanky chap with a mop of blond curls on the top of his head.
    They changed some of the topups late. 50 is D.Smith and 51 A.Kinasch

Veterans List
    ....... A couple of our players don't seem to even try to kick the ball properly. They just drop it vaguely in the direction of their feet and take a swing.
    Names Liz? :-)

Senior Player
    Yes and no. Last week they were comfortably beaten by a strong Lions outfit, and we can hope that the other two AFL reserves sides will also be highly competitive. The Thunder normally have a strong team too.

The lack of pressure yesterday highlighted the ordinary skill level of several of our players. If you can't even line up to try and hit a target when you're playing against black and white witches' hats, what hope do you have of doing so against an AFL side. A couple of our players don't seem to even try to kick the ball properly. They just drop it vaguely in the direction of their feet and take a swing.
    It's the inability to accurately determine how players are tracking under pressure each week that is a big problem. This is made worse by the regular byes.

The only thing you can do half the time is compare how our players are going compared to their team mates, but if it's not under pressure how do you really know? Sometimes the better players only really show out under pressure.

You can at least tell when players are out of form by their kicking if they are normally pretty good. Harry C is for instance usually a pretty good kick but delivered poorly on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123