Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 5 - GWS

Veterans List
    I just read that Greene received another fine for striking. Let's see who he has a go at this week.

I noticed Heath Shaw had roid rage on the weekend. Reminded me of Stevie Johnson from last year. It could be another nasty game!!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't bring Tippett in this week.
    Mumford is sure to target him again

Paply will target Mummy !

Senior Player
    A couple of observations re the West Coast game.

TOG for Papley was 55%, Florent 64% and KJ 66%. That means that we were essentially down a player�s worth of bench time not shared around the other players. No wonder we fell in a hole in the last quarter.
    It is also interesting that these were amongst our smallest players, and that Fox and Hayward got significantly more game time.

So was the problem; fitness, form or were they just not big enough to match up on other players?

Same old thing, playing underdone, out of form or unfit players instead of in-form fit players of lesser status. Horse and the other selectors need to have a hard look at their selection policies for the Giants.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Same old thing, playing underdone, out of form or unfit players instead of in-form fit players of lesser status. Horse and the other selectors need to have a hard look at their selection policies for the Giants.
    I agree with this.

Poor selections certainly contributed to our GF loss...IMO.

Fit players with at least a game or 2 under their belts...That would seem a good starting point at the selection table.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I think the Swans don't have enough players fit and playing at the required level, so are playing those they wouldn't under normal circumstances. Lots of least worst options running around - like Jack

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post

Fit players with at least a game or 2 under their belts...That would seem a good starting point at the selection table.
    That would be fine if we had all these fit players running around in the reserves capable of contributing better at senior level than those who were picked. I've watched the last two NEAFL games live (ie at the ground) and the only ones who looked ready to contribute were Dawson in the first game, who got picked and dropped after a game, and Cunningham in the second game, who was selected and performed moderately well against West Coast. You could make a case for Laidler, but we defence isn't an area where we have lots of unfit players running around. Fisher looks likely in the future but I don't think he's ready yet, and in any case, as he's on the rookie list there are restrictions.

Regular in the Side
    I think replacing Naismith with Papley was not one of Horse's finest decisions. Papley played only a cameo and we were short a tall. Melican would have been a far better option for WC. We have a major issue with defenders match ups against GWS who will have Patton, Cameron and Lobb in their forwards. We need three tall defenders. Grundy, Aliir and A. N. Other. I assume Grundy and Aliir will take Patton and Cameron. Laidler is a little short and slow for Lobb. Options are Melican, Talia and Maibaum. Two are debutants and the other seems to be in the naughty corner still. I would favour Melican but that has other consequences as Fox would go back on the rookie list if Rohan returns as expected. A tough selection decision not made easier by having had a NEAFL bye over Easter. Another issue is do Rohan and Heeney need a game in the NEAFL. In an ideal world yes but we are not in an ideal situation at present. I expect Tippet back in ruck but again a fitness call would need to be made on Naismith versus Sinclair. The Swans website remains woefully out of date and uninformative re players injury status.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    A couple of observations re the West Coast game.

TOG for Papley was 55%, Florent 64% and KJ 66%. That means that we were essentially down a player�s worth of bench time not shared around the other players. No wonder we fell in a hole in the last quarter.
    It is also interesting that these were amongst our smallest players, and that Fox and Hayward got significantly more game time.

So was the problem; fitness, form or were they just not big enough to match up on other players?

Very Good observation. I am getting the impression our injury list is worse then we are led to believe. Papley wasn't ready last week and Jack looks like he is struggling with his Hip complaint.

The team for WCE was small due to only having one ruckman and replacing Naismith with Papley. The worst performing players last week were Papley, Foote, Florent, Fox but Papley isn't going anywhere. It's actually hard to figure out who to drop to fit the new players in

If Naismith comes in he replaces Sinclair like for like.
    Tippett IN / Who goes OUT? I'd vote for Kieran Jack, but that's unlikely, more likely Foote
    Heeney IN / Fox OUT
    Rohan IN / Florent OUT
    The only way to get Melican IN to the side would be to (a) drop a smaller defender - Marsh or (b) move someone like Jones up the ground and then the same problem occurs, who to drop from the midfield so
    Melican IN / Jack OUT

That's assuming all those players get back, which they won't

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    The team for WCE was small due to only having one ruckman and replacing Naismith with Papley. The worst performing players last week were Papley, Foote, Florent, Fox but Papley isn't going anywhere. It's actually hard to figure out who to drop to fit the new players in
    Reg and Smithy didn't exactly cover themselves in glory.

Papley was there because he needed the run, and may not have played if there had been a NEAFL bye. Florent was probably overstretched but the more time we can put into him at top level the better, and give him a rest at some point (as well as the break) because we'll need him if we make it into the eight.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Reg and Smithy didn't exactly cover themselves in glory.
    Agree that they both played poorly, but I can't imagine there's any way either won't play this week

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast