Thread: About the banner - (not to be confused with the flag)

pr. dim-melb; m not f

About the banner - (not to be confused with the flag)

Among the fully deserved attention to Bob Murphy's 300th - and what Swan would ever forget the time he put on a No. 37 guernsey? - there is this amusing and stimulating piece by Martin Flanagan about the Bulldogs' banner genie Danny McGinlay:

Danny McGinlay sending a message on behalf of the Western Bulldogs

My curiosity was piqued when I read this bit:

"McGinlay says St Kilda and Carlton are now following his lead and employing wits to furnish them with messages on match-day. He further claims a comedian friend who made an overture to Sydney received a reply saying funny banners were not consistent with the club's core values."

Tastes differ, but I think we have used humour occasionally, and I wouldn't mind seeing the occasional banner that poked the bear. Without this element I fear we risk becoming a bit precious, and I don't see that as one of the club's core values.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Agreed, I do like a bit of humour in a banner. Like when Port first used "Never tear us apart" then we tore them apart. (Not sure if that's what they were going for) but it was good.

But, yes I agree. A little banter banner shouldn't hurt anyone.

Goes up to 11
    Nope - we're above that sort of stuff.
    Whilst I love a good pun and clever wordplay I'm with the club on this one.

Just like the club's position of not engaging with the stupid stuff that often emanates from the Giants.

Happy and I know it
    I did laugh at the one we had years ago when playing Essendon: "Don good, Swan better".
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I can't work out how to attach an image on my phone. Last year when the Dogs came to the SCG their banner said:

"We'll win this game and party til late or at least until all your pubs shut at 8."

I thought they won comfortably on the banner front.