Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vultures circling Sam Reid

Vultures circling Sam Reid

On AFL tonight Jake Naill said Vic clubs are circling Sam Reid (out of contract and according to Jake has not commenced talks with the Swans as yet).

Wouldn't be surprise if the Pies were right up there as their forward line is non existent at the moment and Ben Reid plays for them.
    Would be a coup for them to have Sam forward and Ben back.

That would be a major blow, would rather give up Tippet (even though I like him) also worried about Zac Jones..

The swans have a pretty good history of managing players to be less injury prone. Neither Reid nor Tippet are particularly sound physically, and have not provided full value to the swans over the years. If the swans can't fix them I don't know who can, however in my view let another club try. I think a team of robust, reliable, well drilled team players is better than flakey superstars. Look at Western Bulldogs. We should be targeting players with a strong track record for reliability, then coaching them to be a great team.

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    On AFL tonight Jake Naill said Vic clubs are circling Sam Reid (out of contract and according to Jake has not commenced talks with the Swans as yet).

Wouldn't be surprise if the Pies were right up there as their forward line is non existent at the moment and Ben Reid plays for them.
    Would be a coup for them to have Sam forward and Ben back.
    The Pies wouldn't have the salary cap to blow us out of the water - Reid is on maybe $500,000 a year??

They have got Wells and Mayne which has really cost them big.

But with the new player payments coming through, who know.

About the best which can said is that North $9 million 9 year offer for Kelly won't be the only insane bid going around.

Someone is going to offer him huge money, which means we need to force retirements on McVeigh and Jack, and delist quite a few others.
    doof-doof

I have no doubt that another club could come in for Reid and blow us out of the water financially given his start to the season, St Kilda have plenty of cash and he would add to their list (along with their first rounder and their Pick 1 this year LOL) and I could see North throwing some serious money at him too.

He has started well and overcome his injuries so ultimately I guess it depends on how close we can get financially and how happy he is in Sydney (very happy from all reports).

I'll call him as 50-50 but if he is still unsigned by the end of June he is gone for mine.

Jones I'd be more confident with as he can't go as a restricted free agent and his form in the season proper whist good has not been enough to extract silly money. Plus he has really only just broken into the side and I reckon this is the place for him to develop. I'll only start to worry about him if he is unsigned at the end of June.

Overall our list retention and list management is pretty good.

Sam is a restricted FA, so we can match any offer he receives from other clubs. It will take a big offer to get him, but I have little doubt he will receive some. If we let him go, it should translate into a 1st round pick, which is based on salary and length of contract, although this would be another opportunity for the AFL to screw us. Given our current ladder position, we could well finish out of the 8 and get a young KPP who is better value than Reid and free up a lot of salary space. Although I am a fan of Reid, I wouldn't see it as that bad an outcome. A KPF from this year's draft and Blakey next year could form the foundation of our next generation forward line.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Sam is a restricted FA, so we can match any offer he receives from other clubs. It will take a big offer to get him, but I have little doubt he will receive some. If we let him go, it should translate into a 1st round pick, which is based on salary and length of contract, although this would be another opportunity for the AFL to screw us. Given our current ladder position, we could well finish out of the 8 and get a young KPP who is better value than Reid and free up a lot of salary space. Although I am a fan of Reid, I wouldn't see it as that bad an outcome. A KPF from this year's draft and Blakey next year could form the foundation of our next generation forward line.
    I'd agree with that assessment. If Sam comes outright and says that he wants to leave then I doubt that we'd stand in his way but I don't think that will happen as it will all be about the $ on offer, and I get that the players have short careers and that this is his last contract probably.

Having said that I don't think we'll be held to ransom here. Getting $500,000 into our cap space and a first round draft pick wouldn't be a bad outcome if we (privately) concede that we are in a mini-rebuild phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I'd agree with that assessment. If Sam comes outright and says that he wants to leave then I doubt that we'd stand in his way but I don't think that will happen as it will all be about the $ on offer, and I get that the players have short careers and that this is his last contract probably.

Having said that I don't think we'll be held to ransom here. Getting $500,000 into our cap space and a first round draft pick wouldn't be a bad outcome if we (privately) concede that we are in a mini-rebuild phase.
    I'd prefer to see us get rid of Tippo and match the $$$ to keep reid, but I completely agree Mug that it wouldn't be the worse outcome in that circumstance, if we got the 1st round draft pick it should probably give us (knowing the AFL, they'll find a way to screw us over).
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

It's not just the point of losing Reid cause when you look at our key position forward stocks the cupboard is basically bare apart from Franklin & Reid. Who's next in line? Toby Pink has a while to go, I know some will say Rohan but he's a medium tall. Some will say Dawson but he may not even make it. Some will say Blakey but he's not even at the club n may take 4 more years to develop. You could draft someone this year but he will take atleast 3 years to come on. Our KPF stocks are very low.

Tall KPF take time to develop. Sam is coming to the prime football age and it is imperative that the club retain him on the list. It's a no brainer to let him go.

Vultures circling Sam Reid

The lack of certainty on the salary cap situation is making it hard for the Swans (and probably everyone else). Unless he breaks down again he will be offered big coin elsewhere so it comes down to what loyalty discount he would accept to stay a Swan? It's 50/50 in my view whether he stays or goes. Either way the better he goes this year the better it will be for him and us in terms of what we might get in return. A definite hole would be left in our forward line without him. We are already too reliant on buddy.

Perhaps we can get Jessie White back in return from Collingwood? 555 only joking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    The lack of certainty on the salary cap situation is making it hard for the Swans (and probably everyone else). Unless he breaks down again he will be offered big coin elsewhere so it comes down to what loyalty discount he would accept to stay a Swan? It's 50/50 in my view whether he stays or goes. Either way the better he goes this year the better it will be for him and us in terms of what we might get in return. A definite hole would be left in our forward line without him. We are already too reliant on buddy.

Perhaps we can get Jessie White back in return from Collingwood? 555 only joking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We don't have any bargaining power apart from matching whatever he gets offered. So the better he plays the more he gets offered which means we can't match it. He's a RFA so we would be at the mercy of AFL compensation. Same as hawthorn when it came to Franklin.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast