Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Round 3 - April 22-25

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    Why not just go further and say we shouldn't have any teams in AFL Sydney and all 250 of our players should be distributed elsewhere....but personally I'm very proud of everything that our club has achieved......
    Student - you have again missed the point of the discussion here by asserting that the comments are about the very existence of your club and responding about how great your committee is.

The issue is, as your NEAFL team gets stronger, and more accepted by all in Sydney as the pathway for the best footballers in Sydney, what should be done with the 23 players who do get a game in the NEAFL 22 (from your squad of 45 Player profiles - Sydney University Australian National Football Club : Sydney University Australian National Football Club). Your squad of 45 gets the support and resources of the Uni and the AFL to play a the NEAFL level, not the Premier Division level - as you have said before they do not even train together.

This issue may not play itself out in September, but I would be pissed off club in September to come up against a Sydney Uni Premier Division team that 10 or more NEAFL listed player playing against them.

And you seem to have missed the point about these players being eligible to play for us as they are currently students at the university or have been in the past. The change to the rules this year led to ONE player on the weekend playing PD that wouldn't have last year and in turn we have allowed two students (that I know of at least) on scholarships to play at other community clubs. Of the NEAFL squad not all 45 are eligible to play Premier Division for us - the number is closer to half of the squad. So my question to you is what do we do with players such as Krochmal and Barrett who have been at our club since they were 17 year olds in 2009 if they don't get selected in NEAFL? Do we tell them sorry boys, you can go over to Manly or Penno for the weekend. I don't know how much clearer I can be - we don't recruit interstate players to put them on the NEAFL list to strengthen our PD side. In five years time if the list consists of 40 players from Sydney AFL clubs only those that are (or were) students will be able to play for us. If players come from the VFL or wherever they aren't going to play more than a game or two in the PD team.

If we make the finals and the team contains half a dozen NEAFL players they are obviously going to have had to qualify by playing 6 games and no more than 9 NEAFL (or whatever the rules are). And if they are eligible to play because they study at the Uni or have been at the club for years what complaints could anyone have? Oh they train with a good team two nights a week, this is unfair. Meanwhile other Sydney AFL clubs will have NEAFL listed players playing that have also benefitted from the same exposure.

Also for what it is worth the non selected Uni eligible players (those who will play PD on any given weekend) are now training on Thursday nights with the PD group.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    Student - you have again missed the point of the discussion here by asserting that the comments are about the very existence of your club and responding about how great your committee is.

The issue is, as your NEAFL team gets stronger, and more accepted by all in Sydney as the pathway for the best footballers in Sydney, what should be done with the 23 players who do get a game in the NEAFL 22 (from your squad of 45 Player profiles - Sydney University Australian National Football Club : Sydney University Australian National Football Club). Your squad of 45 gets the support and resources of the Uni and the AFL to play a the NEAFL level, not the Premier Division level - as you have said before they do not even train together.

This issue may not play itself out in September, but I would be pissed off club in September to come up against a Sydney Uni Premier Division team that 10 or more NEAFL listed player playing against them.

It's simply not fair to the other 8 Sydney clubs that they supply funding and resources and players from their juniors, to SU to run a representative team in another competition, and then run the risk of losing a flag - the Premier Division Flag in the Sydney AFL - to a club made up of those very players and resources ...

Regular in the Side
    Student, I appreciate your input onto this forum. Most people (including myself) will hardly mention the club they are associated with but you are always forthcoming. Personally, I don't ever attempt to attack a club or person on this forum and apologise if it's ever taken that way.
    With this out the way let me ask you a question.
    How many of your current crop are by-products of the Carter-Collingwood academy fiasco? For those who are too young to know, Tilt Carter started up an Academy at Sydney University and promised every young player near and far that he could watch them better if they came and played for him. Dreams of playing for Collingwood beckoned but I don't think too many were realised. But it was the start of the most successful sustained period in Sydney University's AFL history.
    I honestly have no idea what the answer is. The results might be too difficult to ascertain. But let's factor this in when we discuss the current unfair situation.

When Sydney Uni fielded their NEAFL team didn't they/the sydney afl set out a list of KPI? Any one remember what they were?

Be interesting to see how many of them are being met.

I can't find the mini draft info for 2016 but of those from 2015 only four remain on the NEAFL list and one of them played at UTS this week, two of them played NEAFL and one is being held captive by a club who shall remain unnamed even though he is a student and qualifies to play for us.
    Why is it that one of them is playing at their drafted club and the other is "being held captive"? Is there 2 sets of rules? Does Sydney Uni rate one of them higher than the other?

Because one of them has put in a transfer that the club has denied despite having no grounds to do so which has resulted in the player not having played for four weeks. It's a bit pathetic really especially considering that he is a student at the university, qualifies to play for us and has absolutely no interest in playing for a club he has no connection with, half an hour from his home with people he doesn't know. The other is playing at his draft club because he wants to. That's the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Why is it that one of them is playing at their drafted club and the other is "being held captive"? Is there 2 sets of rules? Does Sydney Uni rate one of them higher than the other?

we don't recruit interstate players to put them on the NEAFL list to strengthen our PD side.
    Where in NSW is Aspley?

I'd have to cast my mind back a long way for that - probably the U18 team in 2009 would be the best indicator. Obviously Tom Young, Jarrod Witts and Mick Hartley went onto have AFL careers of varying success. From what I can recall the idea was for Collingwood to house their scholarship kids in one place and be coached by Rocket / Tim Barling so that they could keep tabs on them more easily. Once that scheme was wound up so was the Collingwood involvement. To my knowledge we didn't receive any funding or anything like that and it was only ever to do with the 18s - it was a few years after the craze of Sydney sides selling out years of tradition for a few sets of free jumpers and old footballs.

Pushing for Selection
    Where in NSW is Aspley?
    Just at the top part mate......

Quote Originally Posted by Giants View Post
    Just at the top part mate......
    I thought only the QLD state of origin team claimed new south welshmen as qlders. Now sydney uni claims Brisbane is in NSW?

It's in Brisbane to my knowledge. Who have we recruited from there with the express aim of playing Prem Div? Are you referring to the bloke who was co-captain last year? Pretty fair effort considering we recruited him to play PD in your esteemed opinion.

And if we did recruit someone that was from Qld, is a student at SU and on a scholarship why should he play for another club? Especially if that club has contributed absolutely nothing to the NEAFL program.

Where in NSW is Aspley?
    - - - Updated - - -

I don't recall saying that. That would almost be as bad as us denying a player a transfer to a club he wants to play at when we have no right to do so.

I thought only the QLD state of origin team claimed new south welshmen as qlders. Now sydney uni claims Brisbane is in NSW?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast