14:00 North Shore Bombers v St George Dragons Under 19s Division Two

Olds Park
    11:00 St George Dragons v Southern Power Division Four
    13:00 St George Dragons v Balmain Tigers Division One

Picken Oval
    14:00 Western Wolves v Macquarie University Women's Premier Division

Rosedale Park
    11:00 South West Cats v Wests Goannas Under 19s Division Two
    13:00 South West Sydney Magpies v Campbelltown Blues (Clash) Women's Division One
    15:00 South West Sydney Magpies v Manly Warringah Wolves Division Four
    18:00 South West Sydney Magpies v Randwick City Saints Division Two

Sydney Uni No. 1 Oval
    8:30 Sydney University v Pennant Hills Demons Under 19s Division One
    10:30 Sydney University v Southern Power Division One
    12:30 Sydney University v UNSW Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs Division Two
    14:30 Sydney University v UNSW Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs Premier Division
    17:15 Sydney University v Camden Cats Division Five

Trumper Park
    10:00 UTS Bats v UNSW/ES Bulldogs Division Five
    12:00 UTS Shamrocks v Auburn-Penrith Giants Women's Premier Division
    14:00 UTS Bats v Holroyd Parramatta Goannas Division One

Weldon Oval
    9:00 Manly Warringah Wolves v Auburn-Penrith Giants Women's Division One
    11:00 Manly Warringah Wolves v Penrith Rams Division Two
    13:00 Manly Warringah Wolves v St George Dragons Under 19s Division One
    15:00 Manly Warringah Wolves v St George Dragons Premier Division

Tuesday 25th April

Picken Oval
    10:00 Western Suburbs Magpies v Pennant Hills Demons Division Two
    13:00 Western Suburbs Magpies v Pennant Hills Demons Premier Division

Bye
    North Shore Bombers Premier Division
    Campbelltown Blues U19 Division Two
    Western Suburbs Magpies Division Five

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

We went to No 1 to today watch the battle of the Uni's.
    But it wasn't really a battle...more of a mismatch. The Bulldogs seemed to have their main team on the paddock (correct me if that's not the case), but they were never in the hunt.
    At 3/4 time, the Sydney Uni coach told his charges to relax a bit, have some fun with it, and that did a big favour for UNSW who were able to score 3 or 4 lazy goals to make the scoreboard look more respectable.
    The mismatch came about for the same reason that we chatted about it on this forum a few weeks ago...heaps of NEAFL-enabled players. THE STUDENT agreed with this and added that it happened because of a favourable injury toll which meant that various quality players were stuck in Prems. Well, it happened again today - Mitch Thompson, Xavier Richards, Mahady, Tim Barrett, Irving, Nick Foster, Sireakowski and the sensational Kane Murphy. These are quality footballers who can't get a game in the NEAFL team (which is smashing the NEAFL comp being undefeated despite playing most of the best teams).
    Like we agreed last time, there's not much that can be done about the imbalance - good luck to them I suppose - but be prepared when your favourite Prems team gets their turn.

Woops, didn't meant to delete the post.

Few upsets, no one picked Manly over Saints and only 2 picked UTS over ECE.

Almost Football Legend
    Not even three rounds completed, and already no undefeated teams in Premier Division. Is that a record?

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

We don't have any injuries at the moment so I'm not sure what we are supposed to do. There was only one of the NEAFL listed players who wouldn't have been eligible last season - everyone else is either a student at the uni or has been at the club for years. Anyway, North Shore touched us up a fortnight ago so the sky is hardly falling.

I thought UNSW were fantastic - stuck at it all day and are miles ahead of where they were last year. Full credit to Steve and everyone involved at the Dogs for getting back on track so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    We went to No 1 to today watch the battle of the Uni's.
    But it wasn't really a battle...more of a mismatch. The Bulldogs seemed to have their main team on the paddock (correct me if that's not the case), but they were never in the hunt.
    At 3/4 time, the Sydney Uni coach told his charges to relax a bit, have some fun with it, and that did a big favour for UNSW who were able to score 3 or 4 lazy goals to make the scoreboard look more respectable.
    The mismatch came about for the same reason that we chatted about it on this forum a few weeks ago...heaps of NEAFL-enabled players. THE STUDENT agreed with this and added that it happened because of a favourable injury toll which meant that various quality players were stuck in Prems. Well, it happened again today - Mitch Thompson, Xavier Richards, Mahady, Tim Barrett, Irving, Nick Foster, Sireakowski and the sensational Kane Murphy. These are quality footballers who can't get a game in the NEAFL team (which is smashing the NEAFL comp being undefeated despite playing most of the best teams).
    Like we agreed last time, there's not much that can be done about the imbalance - good luck to them I suppose - but be prepared when your favourite Prems team gets their turn.

It is simple really, and I've said it from the outset - the NEAFL concept for the Sydney AFL is wrong.

Should never have been an option for any club to field a side, and now that one of those clubs almost went under, and there is only one team representing the Sydney ALF, it should be that - a representative team selected from each club in the competition.

No disrespect to SU, wouldn't matter who it was, but one Sydney club providing a team to the NEAFL serves no useful purpose and is of no interest to anyone else involved in the Sydney AFL (and of little more interest to the rest of their own club).

A question and a statement

Q. Is Sydney Uni the only NEAFL team with a reserves team? Obviously all the AFL NEAFL teams do not, and checking the QAFL & Canberra competition (NT is in Summer) I can not a see any reserve teams, so I assume that players who do not get a game for Southport, as an example, as shared among the other QAFL teams. I am also aware that in VFL players must nominate a local team ie Eastern Football league, amateurs, Ballarat League etc for when the not get a game.

S. You cant help but think Sydney Uni have "gamed" Sydney AFL. In 2014 when NEAFL players could play in Premier Division Syd Uni finished 4th (with NEAFL team finishing 7th). In 2015 and 2016 the draft was introduced which proved to be �t best ineffective, at worst manipulated by the Uni (ie it was better for a NEAFL listed player to be put through a hard training session than play with another Premier Division club). As we highlighted earlier not one drafted player played for another Premier Division club in 2016. We have now returned to the 2014 structure and miraculously more than 7 NEAFL listed players are playing Premier Division. As I have said you cant help but think Sydney Uni have gamed Sydney AFL, and us all.

P.S. I am a fan of Sydney Uni as a club and their commitment to having a NEAFL team - I just think it is wrong to have a structure that is designed and supported to play against full time professional footballers have 7 NEAFL players play against weekend park footballers.
    Last edited by Tom Wills; 24th April 2017 at 12:35 AM.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post

Q. Is Sydney Uni the only NEAFL team with a reserves team? Obviously all the AFL NEAFL teams do not, and checking the QAFL & Canberra competition (NT is in Summer) I can not a see any reserve teams, so I assume that players who do not get a game for Southport, as an example, as shared among the other QAFL teams. I am also aware that in VFL players must nominate a local team ie Eastern Football league, amateurs, Ballarat League etc for when the not get a game.

S. You cant help but think Sydney Uni have "gamed" Sydney AFL. In 2014 when NEAFL players could play in Premier Division Syd Uni finished 4th (with NEAFL team finishing 7th). In 2015 and 2016 the draft was introduced which proved to be �t best ineffective, at worst manipulated by the Uni (ie it was better for a NEAFL listed player to be put through a hard training session than play with another Premier Division club). As we highlighted earlier not one drafted player played for another Premier Division club in 2016. We have now returned to the 2014 structure and miraculously more than 7 NEAFL listed players are playing Premier Division. As I have said you cant help but think Sydney Uni have gamed Sydney AFL, and us all.

P.S. I am a fan of Sydney Uni as a club and their commitment to having a NEAFL team - I just think it is wrong to have a structure that is designed and supported to play against full time professional footballers have 7 NEAFL players play against weekend park footballers.
    Yes agree, it is really quite simple they should not be in Premier League. I would think they are only going to get stronger as stronger as the Swans Academy becomes a breeding ground for the bulk of their future. It is simple take them out of Premier, back to an 8 team comp. Problem solved

That is a very glib summation. I don't know of any players that were eligible for other clubs being made to train in preference to playing Premier Division. The fact of the matter is that the players who weren't eligible for Uni were in the best 22. I can't find the mini draft info for 2016 but of those from 2015 only four remain on the NEAFL list and one of them played at UTS this week, two of them played NEAFL and one is being held captive by a club who shall remain unnamed even though he is a student and qualifies to play for us. We also forwarded a number of interstate players onto other clubs over the past two seasons because they weren't allowed to play PD for us so it was in their best interests to play elsewhere. This year we have had recruits come in and the squad has gotten stronger. We are relatively injury free which has resulted in players being available. Do you honesty think we would jeopardize the on field performance of the club by selecting players in the NEAFL in 2015-16 to deny them going back to their draft clubs in order to play a long con on the Sydney AFL? Fair dinkum. We are hard pressed being organized enough to stock a canteen most weeks let alone carry out a plot to ensure that we win two of our first three PD games in 2017. Of the NEAFL squad players in the PD side on Saturday, only one wouldn't have played for us under the rules of last season. The rest are either current or ex-students. Seven or eight of them played Under 18s/19s at the club. Barrett and Krochmal have been at the club for nearly ten years. Are you suggesting that they should be drafted elsewhere - or that we should play them in Div 1? Why not just go further and say we shouldn't have any teams in AFL Sydney and all 250 of our players should be distributed elsewhere. We aren't taking players from Sydney clubs and asking them to play against their mates - in fact two weeks ago Michael Manteit kicked five against us for North Shore and got himself rubbed out for a week which was incredibly counterproductive for our football club. We allow interstate players and current students to make the decision where to play - obviously we would prefer that they choose us but if they want to go elsewhere then so be it. All of the Swans Academy kids have remained at their home clubs. Jack Dimery would play for ECE if he was ever dropped. And so on.

For what it's worth the player named our best on Saturday is a med student who was playing Div 5 two years ago. That's a fantastic story and we are all really proud of his achievements to date but you seem to think he should be playing Div 1 or farmed out to another club.

Also Canberra do have a reserves team - Eastlake. They have eligibility rules like we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post

Last edited by The Student; 24th April 2017 at 11:45 AM.

And if those Swans Academy kids are from other clubs they will stay there for Premier Division. We aren't going to recruit interstate players and put them on the NEAFL list with the aim of them playing PD.

What is your suggestion for players on our NEAFL list that have played U19s at the club or are students at the Uni? They should be forced to go elsewhere? Perhaps we could play them in Div 1 and win that every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Footy Barista View Post
    Yes agree, it is really quite simple they should not be in Premier League. I would think they are only going to get stronger as stronger as the Swans Academy becomes a breeding ground for the bulk of their future. It is simple take them out of Premier, back to an 8 team comp. Problem solved
    Last edited by The Student; 24th April 2017 at 12:15 PM.

That's fair enough. The club is a Sydney rep team more or less, it's just that they happen to wear our guernsey. We get that nobody cares. That's fine. Sure we would love for people to get along and watch a few games but we understand that 99% of the time the games are on at the same time as Sydney AFL and most people hate us anyway.

But in saying that, nobody would care if they were called the Sydney Seagulls, run out of Moore Park HQ and wore some other colours either, but the AFL are pretty happy for SUSF to fund and resource the lions share of it. I think they would probably prefer not to spend another 500k on staff, facilities, players, source volunteers etc and let a club with an existing infrastructure oversee it. That is the reality of the situation.

It's easy for people on here and across the Sydney AFL to criticize us but personally I'm very proud of everything that our club has achieved - we are no different to anyone else, we have worked harder than you can imagine to get into this position. Do we have the good fortune of being involved with SUSF? Sure. But don't let that distract you from the fact that in 2006 we had three and a half teams and were playing in the second tier. We have had two fantastic presidents in that time and countless other committee members and players that have given everything they can to help us move forward. So forgive me if I sound defensive but it sh-ts me no end to see us being bashed on here every time we win a game. Everyone here has the best interests of their club at heart, and I'm sure most of you contribute in a meaningful way to your clubs so I would imagine that if you were in our shoes you'd also be sick of the integrity of your club being questioned every other week.

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    It is simple really, and I've said it from the outset - the NEAFL concept for the Sydney AFL is wrong.

Should never have been an option for any club to field a side, and now that one of those clubs almost went under, and there is only one team representing the Sydney ALF, it should be that - a representative team selected from each club in the competition.

No disrespect to SU, wouldn't matter who it was, but one Sydney club providing a team to the NEAFL serves no useful purpose and is of no interest to anyone else involved in the Sydney AFL (and of little more interest to the rest of their own club).

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    It's easy for people on here and across the Sydney AFL to criticize us but personally I'm very proud of everything that our club has achieved - we are no different to anyone else, we have worked harder than you can imagine to get into this position. Do we have the good fortune of being involved with SUSF? Sure. But don't let that distract you from the fact that in 2006 we had three and a half teams and were playing in the second tier. We have had two fantastic presidents in that time and countless other committee members and players that have given everything they can to help us move forward. So forgive me if I sound defensive but it sh-ts me no end to see us being bashed on here every time we win a game. Everyone here has the best interests of their club at heart, and I'm sure most of you contribute in a meaningful way to your clubs so I would imagine that if you were in our shoes you'd also be sick of the integrity of your club being questioned every other week.
    Agree 100%.

Ultimately every club is going to work to take advantage of whatever comes its way. If they're not, then their hearts aren't in it.

I can attest from direct personal experience that a couple of years ago Uni were definitely sending guys that would have been fringe NEAFL, and that weren't students or past players, to other clubs. Roger Moten even went to the trouble to name specific clubs to go to based on position, playing experience, and aspirations of the player.

I have no special affinity for Uni, but I am a big admirer of the way they have built the men's side of the club in the last 10 years. When I was a student there (not that long ago) most of the male SUSU money went to rugby, and footy used to get bumped from Number One for soccer games. Clearly, the successive committees have made solid arguments to SUSU to improve funding and priority and have also made incredible changes to their programme to attract and produce the best players and coaches.

If the SUSU funding and support continues like this, I think every other Premier Division club will start thanking their lucky stars Uni manages the NEAFL side and has to spend large sums of money in doing so. There is absolutely no way any other club, not even UNSW or UTS with their uni funds, ECE/PH with their incredible community sponsorship arrangements or Wests with their licenced club could possibly compete. If you don't believe me, just check how long Uni dominated Shute Shied/Premier Rugby. Check how many Tahs players they had for years!

Is it going to be very hard for the rest of us in men's and women's to compete with the resources Uni has? For sure. But I don't see how they can be blamed for building a successful club with the resources available to them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast