Thread: What I'd like to see

What I'd like to see

Going in to the GWS game I'd like to see the following

1. Players stop hand passing to a team mate who has an opposition player within 2 meters of him
    2. Players finding themselves some space so that the team mate with the ball has a free target
    3. The player with the ball actually looking before he passes it off, assessing the best player to pass to and doing so.
    4. Players who mark withing 40 meters of goal having a shot - no passing off.
    5. Players who find themselves with the ball within 40 meters of the goals taking a snap.
    6. Players running hard for an opposition player, even when there is no chance of catching him.

That's about it.
    Team does those things and I'll be happy, win lose or draw.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

What I'd like to see

And when a player passes to a teammate (by foot or by hand) he passes ahead of the teammate so he runs on to the ball. Not behind him so he has to do a contortion trying to catch the ball behind his back.

We were taught that playing netball. How come elite AFL players (Swans players) repeatedly get this badly wrong?

Players marking a 7-10 metre radius of vacant grass after a another turnover whilst their man gleefully accepts a non contested mark and waltzes off to oblige the next and the next .... goal ...
    61 points from turnovers v West Coast .

Oh yeah

7. Players not raising their hand and calling for the ball when they have an opposition player within pouncing distance, watching, ready to pounce.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    And when a player passes to a teammate (by foot or by hand) he passes ahead of the teammate so he runs on to the ball. Not behind him so he has to do a contortion trying to catch the ball behind his back.

We were taught that playing netball. How come elite AFL players (Swans players) repeatedly get this badly wrong?
    So spot on! Hate to use Hawthorn as a good example but in their Premiership years, they were experts at "underkicking" their foot passes so that their teammate had to run extra hard to reach it. An opponent, no matter how close he was, had no chance of punching the ball away. Our passes to players on the lead are often too high giving the defender every chance of a spoil.