Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd. 5. Sydney V GWS. SCG. 19.25 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    I still think the boys are spooked by the GF loss - they need a good shrink and they need them now!!!
    2014 or 2016?

Both!! Throw in 2006 & 1996 as well????????

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    At least we've had a long period of success. I feel sorry for those long struggling clubs, spending years rebuilding, only to have to face the GWS juggernaut.
    Agreed. Now we know what it's like to be a Carlton supporter without the pain of it being only short term.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    I still think the boys are spooked by the GF loss - they need a good shrink and they need them now!!!
    2014 we got done. 2016 we got dudded.

Veterans List
    Just got home and heard the result, read the last couple of pages so obviously not pretty. How did our 6th debutant for this year perform?

Might be a lot of boys in the middle of the Gatorade circle when we do win one which will be next week as I saw Carton last night and they are a long way off it.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    How did our 6th debutant for this year perform?
    I thought Melican did pretty well in trying circumstances - our backline really struggled unsurprisingly with the height and physicality of the Giants forwards. Was fairly composed and did ok.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Just got home and heard the result, read the last couple of pages so obviously not pretty. How did our 6th debutant for this year perform?
    Forgot all about Melican with the big loss. He was really good. In fact, I thought he was one of our best.

I think we have 3 options regarding a ruckman:

1. Cameron: Worth a try if fit. He's pretty good around the ground. Takes marks. Kicks goals.
    2. Aliir: Hate to take him out of defence, but I think he would be tremendous in the ruck and we wouldn't have to worry about those silly free kicks costing us goals. Has a big hurt factor.
    3. Don't play a ruckman. Just play another midfielder at the ruck contests. If we are the only team that does it, then other teams won't be prepared for it. It will be a POD for us, and a much needed one. We just setup to play a style of game that doesn't depend on winning the tap outs.

No doubt tonight was depressing. But what to do? Abandon the Swans? Not bloody likely. Bring out the long knives for Horse? I don't think this is the answer. I am firmly of the view he is a very good coach. Alastair Clarkson and Ross Lyon didn't become bad coaches merely because their teams took a tumble down the ladder. Roos isn't bad because he coached the Demons. And nor is Horse bad because we've lost our last 6.

I actually think the issue lies with our leading and senior players. This despite some great stuff from the more junior players including:

� Jones, Hewett and Lloyd stepping up to a new level
    � the successful and invaluable return of Sam Reid
    � the very encouraging performances of at least 5 of our 6 debutants, especially Hayward

The reasons for the poor form of our leaders are unclear in some cases and injury in others. Consider. Of our leadership group:

� Macca has given nothing and Kizza next to nothing
    � Parker, Hanners, Reg and Smooch have all been well below the levels they were achieving last year
    � Rampe has been injured
    � Joey has been ok but not as good as he has been for the past few years, very likely because he is being let down by those around him.

In addition, Tippett has not been much chop and tonight Buddy was beginning to look disheartened by the general malaise and dismal results. Also Heeney has been unwell and Mills not up to the standard he set last year. Finally we've also been missing Papley and Rohan and now they're underdone.

This is a lot of stuff for the coaches to deal with. Sure, they haven't pulled any rabbits out of hats but they are playing with the cards they've been dealt. And they haven't been overly conservative in selection. They are blooding new talent. They could have stuck with the players already on our list but instead they have rolled the dice and shown faith in our new blood and been vindicated. Although many of the strategies and game styles have been less than revolutionary, "vanilla" and tried before, perhaps this is a reflection of the circumstances we find ourselves in and not an indictment on the coaches.

In my opinion the biggest problem has been the loss of form, for reasons unknown, of our best players. I'm not sure what the solution is but I'm hoping that with the run of easier matches coming up and with the return of missing players we will gradually play ourselves back into some kind of form. But even if that doesn't happen, which will be alarming and distressing, we don't have a lot of options except to keep working, keep persevering, keep drilling the basics. We have not been reticent about introducing new players (we have 13 debutants since the beginning of last year) and further wholesale changes for the sake of change is not the answer and may destabilize the team.

Veterans List
    Did Tippett play in the last quarter? Serious question because I don't remember seeing him even in the ruck contests. From what was shown on the tv couldn't see him after the game either. Surely he didn't get injured again??

It was mentioned that Hanners got a corky just before three quarter time so he hardly played the last quarter which sucked seeing as he finally did something in that third quarter.

I wonder if Grundy is ok seeing as though he was played in the forward line after he came back on.

Well, other than the first six minutes, that was pretty crap.
    The Carlton reserves could beat us next week.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    No doubt tonight was depressing. But what to do? Abandon the Swans? Not bloody likely. Bring out the long knives for Horse? I don't think this is the answer. I am firmly of the view he is a very good coach. Alastair Clarkson and Ross Lyon didn't become bad coaches merely because their teams took a tumble down the ladder. Roos isn't bad because he coached the Demons. And nor is Horse bad because we've lost our last 6.

I actually think the issue lies with our leading and senior players. This despite some great stuff from the more junior players including:

� Jones, Hewett and Lloyd stepping up to a new level
    � the successful and invaluable return of Sam Reid
    � the very encouraging performances of at least 5 of our 6 debutants, especially Hayward

The reasons for the poor form of our leaders are unclear in some cases and injury in others. Consider. Of our leadership group:

� Macca has given nothing and Kizza next to nothing
    � Parker, Hanners, Reg and Smooch have all been well below the levels they were achieving last year
    � Rampe has been injured
    � Joey has been ok but not as good as he has been for the past few years, very likely because he is being let down by those around him.

In addition, Tippett has not been much chop and tonight Buddy was beginning to look disheartened by the general malaise and dismal results. Also Heeney has been unwell and Mills not up to the standard he set last year. Finally we've also been missing Papley and Rohan and now they're underdone.

This is a lot of stuff for the coaches to deal with. Sure, they haven't pulled any rabbits out of hats but they are playing with the cards they've been dealt. And they haven't been overly conservative in selection. They are blooding new talent. They could have stuck with the players already on our list but instead they have rolled the dice and shown faith in our new blood and been vindicated. Although many of the strategies and game styles have been less than revolutionary, "vanilla" and tried before, perhaps this is a reflection of the circumstances we find ourselves in and not an indictment on the coaches.

In my opinion the biggest problem has been the loss of form, for reasons unknown, of our best players. I'm not sure what the solution is but I'm hoping that with the run of easier matches coming up and with the return of missing players we will gradually play ourselves back into some kind of form. But even if that doesn't happen, which will be alarming and distressing, we don't have a lot of options except to keep working, keep persevering, keep drilling the basics. We have not been reticent about introducing new players (we have 13 debutants since the beginning of last year) and further wholesale changes for the sake of change is not the answer and may destabilize the team.
    Well, everyone else has an opinion tonight, so why not?
    I agree with a lot of Bloodspirit's post.
    It puzzles me that Parker, Hanners, Jack and Joey have in four or five months become ordinary players. This is actually almost impossible, so what can it be?
    I reckon undisclosed injuries have a lot to do here. Hanners belting in the last quarter of the GF..Parker went in hurt to the GF..Jack had an injury all last year and with increasing age, and possible loss of pace and strength, is struggling to get back to his best. He had a shot from 40m tonight and didn't make the distance for God's sake! Joey is a shadow, and now has that facial injury to contend with as well.
    Heeney clearly was not ready physically for tonight..Papley is still some weeks away from the required fitness...Tippett clearly not fit enough yet.
    But we bring these guys in and "hope for the best"?
    I know we're suffering enormously from missing injured senior guys, and have to play 'not ready yet' kids, but I hate seeing obviously unfit players running around.
    Look how that went in the GF..Mills Mcveigh Parker..Rohan..
    Thank God Rohan looks to be ready to play at this level (as long as he can forget his non appearance at the GF).
    A bit despondent tonight....tomorrow will be brighter...always is.

Hanners should get back on the grog.
    He's lost his "ruthless".
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    First 5 minutes was great, wasn't it. After that, well-beaten by a far better side. Some of the GWS movement from centre to goal looked like training drill. Little else to add except that a tall defender would have been handy and not sure why we sidelined a pretty good one.

Should get points on the board next week at least.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast