Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd. 5. Sydney V GWS. SCG. 19.25 pm.

Gee , the Giants don't have many supporters ... why don't they turn up ?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Mills addressing the players during a break? For so many senior players to be out of form there are signs that it might be discord within the group rather than injuries.
    The good thing out of that is the Mills talked the talk, then walked the walk in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I have a bit of a theory on why our mids are down. It appears that they are all getting tagged. They are all in the slow category so the opposition don't need a quick run with player, so can use one or rotate players on them. Last night when one of the 3 mids got the footy there was someone on them immediately. The stats show that; Parker 17, Kennedy 22, Hanners 23. Last year they were all getting 30+ possessions.

People have been all over Jordan Foote, but he appeared to be following Scully all game and Scully had 23 possessions, so for mine blunted much of his effectiveness. Scully is the best gut runner in the comp, and Foote got caught in a lot of GWS forward defensive traffic because that's where Scully took him. What was he to do when he got the footy in that situation? His only option was to handball and a couple were chopped off.

No one appears to question Hewett but he is yet to convince me he is able to go to the next level. He had 19 stats last night but most of them were rubbish. Somehow he gets caught with the footy when he is clear. His style gives the opposition the chance to grab his jumper. He bends and ducks and weaves and is not instinctive with his disposal. He doesn't lead up for a pass and doesn't run much to space and I have no idea of his role in the team. Looks good, looks like a smooth mover, but.... Not questioning his effort, just his all round ability.
    GWS had 9 players with 20+ possessions. We had 4. They don't have to rely on individual stars. Like the Bulldogs they work together as a collective unit. As a team they work their butts off. Something we are not able or willing to do.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Hanners had about 5-6 possessions in one futile run around our goal line.

I don't know if it's a confidence thing now but we're just not playing as a team. The effort is there on an individual level. Both teams had a free man at the back but only we were unable to get out of the D50. Everytime they switched, drew us out wide then came back through the corridor.

While we were trying to do the same the players weren't working hard enough to create space on the far side. Cunningham did late on in the game but the kick was too high, too slow - instead of using smith as a short option and drawing the giants we turned it over.

There were a few really poor individual efforts too - the Tippett chase was horrible, and Parker was fairly ordinary in a few that I noticed too - one on the interchange wing, another inside F50. He stayed on the ground after the non chase on the interchange side as well.

Melican did well on debut. Can't think of too many winners in their position though.

We are undermanned at the moment but that will fade as an excuse within the next 2-3 rounds as Papley, Heeney, Rohan etc get their match fitness up.

Without a doubt the worst part of the game was that I was 10 minutes late because of my kids - I got there just as Patton marked in the goal square and we didn't score a goal for nearly an hour...

Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    I think GWS are a disgusting team with Shaw being a disgrace. To call Papley what Shaw did shows what sort of person he is. Mummy sledged Buddy last year for his mental health issues and last night it was Shaw with his remarks. If that is how GWS have to get noticed in Sydney it is a low act. This is a bad look for the AFL up here.
    What did Shaw say? I haven't watched the replay yet (may not). Was it mentioned on the commentary?

Good on Mills for taking the reigns and addressing the players.
    True leadership to take this initiative so early in his career.
    Shows self belief and ability to command.
    He will be our captain one day.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    I still think the boys are spooked by the GF loss - they need a good shrink and they need them now!!!
    You can't blame them for being spooked. Because of the corrupt umpiring they don't know was is legal and what is illegal. We've been screwed by the umpires and AFL for a number of years now and it has to be playing on their minds.

Season 2017: Everything is working out just fine!

good so far.jpg

What Shaw said is nothing i didnt say about our coaches Box about 10 times last night

There has been a lot of valid criticism of our star midfielders, especially Hanners and Parker. I don't know what the problem is with them. It's hard to see why 2 of the best midfielders in the league at the peak of their careers should fall away so much. For those who say our midfield is too slow, just imagine if we still had Mitchell.

We don't have to think about a premiership this year, so we can cut the emotion and just focus on building the kind of team that can win in the future, a team with speed and skill. It's easy to see what it looks like. We saw it last night, but it wasn't wearing red and white.

The number 1 problem we have, and it's not a new one, is moving the ball out of defence.
    • Drop Reg. He's been great, but is too slow and fumbley.
    • Move Lloyd out of defence. He's one of our better players now, but he's not a defender and can be exploited 1 on 1.
    • Move Mills to the midfield. He's okay in defence, but he's needed more in the middle.
    • Play 3 tall defenders: Talia (could be Maibaum in future), Aliir and Melican.
    • Bring Newman back. He may be the best kick on the team. Should be taking the kick ins.
    • Use Jones for run and carry out of defence.
    • O'Riordan could become part of the defence if we have a rookie elevation spot open.
    • When Rampe comes back, put him in the midfield. He's a big body with good pace.
    • Smith stays for now, but I would be grooming Sam Fisher to play the small defender role in the future.
    • Laidler has played well in the NEAFL. He's a good player. Just a bit slow. Good depth to have at the club.
    • Our defence (8 players): Talia, Aliir, Melican, Newman, Marsh, Smith, Jones, O'Riordan.

Number 2 problem is the ruck. Most of the time they seem to be injured, so it's hard to plan who is playing.
    • I don't know what to do with Tippett. He's only 30 and is still has another year on his big contract. So what do we do with him. For now, he may have to play in the reserves to see if he can regain form. He has to play as a ruckman if he plays as anything.
    • Naismith is a good tap ruckman, but he's a liability around the ground. Needs to fix that part of his game. Injured too often anyway.
    • Sinclair? Do we have to say more?
    • Cameron looks the best option. If he can hold his own in the ruck he adds a lot around the ground with his marking and goal kicking. But needs to be tested at AFL level.
    • Left field option 1: Play Aliir in the ruck. I think this could be his best position. I like the fact that he could pop up anywhere on the ground. He can be very damaging.
    • Left field option 2: Play Towers in the ruck. He can make a contest because of his leap. Makes up 15 or more cms on true sized ruckmen. Wish he were a better player, but for a ruckman, would be good around the ground.
    • Left field option 3: Don't play any ruckman. Just have a midfielder make a bit of a contest without making physical contact then try to win the ball back with having that extra midfielder at ground level.

Put McVeigh on the LTIL. Even if he recovers from his calf and now hamstring injury he can't add anything to this team. He's going to retire at the end of the year anyway. Elevate O'Riordan.

Put Kieran Jack on the LTIL. I don't know what his problem is, but he clearly is not well. Give him an 8 week rest and try to get him fixed up. Elevate Edwards. Not the perfect player, but brings a lot of energy to the game, something we are lacking.

We are in a good position to experiment now and try a few different things. We should be able to find a solution by the end of the season. It will help with our end of season decisions on player movements and drafting.

The worst thing we could do is to do the same old thing and just say (as our coach often does): "We have to get better." Saying it week after week won't make it happen. Let's not waste the year completely.

Regular in the Side
    I think Horse had written the game off before the start and was playing Papley, Tippet, Rohan and Heeney to give them game time before next week. All of them should have been in the NEAFL if there were adequate replacements. Was not helped by the reserves having a bye last weekend so none there were showing form or even getting match fit. For Carlton I would be bringing back Newman and Aliir and giving Rose good consideration. I am even thinking that the Jack of the B variety might be a better choice than the K variety. At least he can run even though he butchers the ball. For outs there are plenty of options. We should and must see a more interested team next week. McVeigh should only be considered for the NEAFL if fit.

Letting Mumford go to get Tippett was a grave mistake.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast