Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd. 5. Sydney V GWS. SCG. 19.25 pm.

Ok here is my solution for the Jack-Foote conundrum.

Foote is being used as a tagger. Played on Scully on Saturday did reasonable job. But doesn't offer much else the other way.

KJ is out of form, used to be a tagger. Give him the tagging role to get him back into form. He can hurt them the other way. And replace Foote with Newman / Florent /

Maybe this! Maybe that!

One thing I've noticed is that we haven't won a game since Tom Derickx retired.

Could it be that the players have lost confidence because there was always a player at the club that everyone could point to and say: "I'm better than that guy." And now that he's gone, uncertainty has crept into their minds.

Maybe it my fault. The players have been wondering who will become my new whipping boy this year now that Tom is gone.

I need to get this monkey off my back and make a decision. It's too much pressure for the players to bear. I take responsibility for our 0-5 record. And I am now prepared to name my new whipping boy.

"Oh No! Not me! Pleeeeease not me!

Sorry Cal. But you've earned your spot. Now get down to work and see if you can wrench that Travelling Emergency role away from Dean Towers. You've got some work to do. But you have my full confidence.

Now the rest of you can get back to work and start winning some games!
    Last edited by Ludwig; 24th April 2017 at 03:00 PM.

Warming the Bench
    Good choice, a like for like replacement

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Senior Player
    Finally listened to Longmire's post game presser. As despondent as I've heard him; hoarse too. Surely the first time he's coached 5 (6 actually) consecutive losses. He did say that the inconsistent performance over 4 quarters was the product of a number of contributing factors (rather than the reason in itself), but didn't expand on those factors unfortunately (but probably prudently). He quite bluntly admitted player confidence was dented. His comments about Aliir had a defensive edge and suggest he didn't think Aliir demonstrated the necessary improvement in the NEAFL game and implied the selection of Melican was vindicated.

Clearly confidence is a significant factor and a considerable reason why we let the four goal lead go so meekly. The players playing well - Jones, Lloyd, Buddy - are backing themselves to win the ball and then use it well. Mills, impressively, willed himself out of the yips on Saturday. Rohan and Melican played confidently. However, the likes of Jack, Hannebery, Parker and Tippett just don't seem in the right headspace, whether as a result of fading physical condition or some other reason. Best case scenario this Saturday is that those 4 guys in particular have big games and start winning back that self-belief.

Regarding the defence, the selection of Melican was vindicated, clearly, but on reflection, I am not certain it should have come at the expense of Aliir. Aliir is one of the few with the talent to bring the ball quickly out of defence; to the extent he has issues giving up marks on the lead or punching the ball from contested mark situations, I think we can afford to let him learn on the job. I thought Marsh was dominated whichever opponent he went to on the weekend, and am not convinced he can play as a third tall defender. With Talia among the bests in the reserves game (I thought he was solid), perhaps we could see him in the next few weeks; definitely if Grundy is somehow out. He has the size we need.

Finally, this will come across as sour grapes, but I would be happy to see any team win over GWS. The likes of Greene, Mumford, Johnson, Shaw, Cameron, Whitfield and Corr are particularly unlikeable. I thought it obvious they were seeking to rough the Swans up when 4 goals down, focusing on Kennedy (and reckon they were coached to). Galling that it worked.

Veterans List
    Ludwig, that looks like your office. I do understand that some people have monkeys as pets in Thailand.

Yes I cannot stand GWS and in particularly the way they head hunt opposition players. I saw Greene stomach punch a few of our players Saturday night playing the tough guy. And Mumford was trying to line up Jack all night but Jonhson beat him to it. Shaw just continues to be the full D/head continuing on after last weeks terrible spray towards that young Power backman.

GWS have a very highly talented team but they are very unlikeable the way they play.

Agree - any team that beats them is my favourite for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Regarding the defence, the selection of Melican was vindicated, clearly, but on reflection, I am not certain it should have come at the expense of Aliir. Aliir is one of the few with the talent to bring the ball quickly out of defence; to the extent he has issues giving up marks on the lead or punching the ball from contested mark situations, I think we can afford to let him learn on the job. I thought Marsh was dominated whichever opponent he went to on the weekend, and am not convinced he can play as a third tall defender. With Talia among the bests in the reserves game (I thought he was solid), perhaps we could see him in the next few weeks; definitely if Grundy is somehow out. He has the size we need.

Finally, this will come across as sour grapes, but I would be happy to see any team win over GWS. The likes of Greene, Mumford, Johnson, Shaw, Cameron, Whitfield and Corr are particularly unlikeable. I thought it obvious they were seeking to rough the Swans up when 4 goals down, focusing on Kennedy (and reckon they were coached to). Galling that it worked.
    I think going in with 2 tall defenders was a huge mistake, demonstrated by the need to bring Reid back to defence after Quarter time. Rampe can do it, but not Marsh (although Rampe got towelled up by Cameron last time they played). Putting your 3rd best "tall" defender on Jeremy Cameron is a recipe for disaster. Think they should have left AA in the side.

I'm sure they are told to target Kennedy every game. Johnson did it last time they played, and did a very effective job. They are a very "unsociable" team.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Ludwig, that looks like your office. I do understand that some people have monkeys as pets in Thailand.
    His name is McEddie.

He must be very intelligent, because he's the only one who seems to understand me when I speak Thai.

Long Term Injury List
    Sorry, haven't read the whole thread but was wondering if anyone else saw Gary Rohan hit the deck on the O'Reilly wing in the first quarter? It seems he met with Corr and then ended up on the ground in enough distress for a trainer to support him off the ground. It wasn't raised in the MRP report and I'm now wondering if it was picked up on camera. Maybe the people I was sitting with and I were just seeing things.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    Sorry, haven't read the whole thread but was wondering if anyone else saw Gary Rohan hit the deck on the O'Reilly wing in the first quarter? It seems he met with Corr and then ended up on the ground in enough distress for a trainer to support him off the ground. It wasn't raised in the MRP report and I'm now wondering if it was picked up on camera. Maybe the people I was sitting with and I were just seeing things.
    I didn't see that, but there seemed to be a bit going on between those two. Overall thought Rohan played fairly positively the few times he got the ball, apart from one time where he got tackled after a mark and was lucky not to get pinged as he was taken high.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    I know it wont get report, but that Cameron elbow to the back of Grundy's head was no accident, it was deliberate.