Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nick Blakey, son of a gun

Nick Blakey, son of a gun

Since we are hopeful that Nick Blakey, son of our assistant coach John, will make it to the Swans in next year's draft, I figured this article may be of interest and also that he is a topic worthy of his own thread:

In-demand prospect Nick Blakey OK after concussion - AFL.com.au.

Senior Player
    Is this the Blakey thread?

Anyway, really enjoyed this piece which includes some thoughtful quotes from Blakey on the players he learns from.

I like having threads devoted to players, where we can collect news and opinions about them. So, thanks for reviving this one, MattW.

I'll take the opportunity to add some links to stories that tell us a bit more about the man they call Lizard so we can find and review them in times to come:

Nick Blakey - sydneyswans.com.au

Pocket Profile: Nick Blakey - sydneyswans.com.au (I love his acknowledgment of Marty Mattner's chase down tackle in the 2012 granny)

video of his first goal: Blakey goals on debut - sydneyswans.com.au

Ask a Swan: Volkswagen Ask A Swan: Nick Blakey - sydneyswans.com.au

Veterans List
    There's no doubt this kid is going to give Swans fans many years of joy and awe. Some of the things he did on Saturday night against Norf were sublime and exciting and a sign of truly great things to come.

I loved the way that, after our win against the Bombers last week, Horse talked up McCartin and Blakey at the front and Aliir and Melican at the back as our KPPs going in to the future. If they all come good, it will be wonderful. Here's hoping!

Senior Player
    I've got to say I thought he needed a bit more time back in the NEAFL, but he's been excellent the last couple of weeks

I can see why David King pushed really hard for Norths to get him. His is going to be a gun player.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    I can see why David King pushed really hard for Norths to get him. His is going to be a gun player.
    North.

Blakey is the best player out of last year's draft, hands down.
    He reminds me of a young Adam Goodes. We need to manage him until he fills out a bit, don't want him washed up at 27 like hanners.

His nickname before he came to the swans was "Lizard"... because his teammates reckon he runs like a frill-neck.
    Hilarious.
    He's my sponsor child this year - he's just delightful.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Blakey is the best player out of last year's draft, hands down.
    He reminds me of a young Adam Goodes. We need to manage him until he fills out a bit, don't want him washed up at 27 like hanners.
    Huge call! Look at the 9 players taken in front of him. I like it!

Veterans List
    As hard as this is to say, I think we may have a replacement for the 'Tippett!!' thread.

Can this thread be retitled 'Blakey!!'?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast