Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J.McVeigh vs K.Jack - Back vs Forward

J.McVeigh vs K.Jack - Back vs Forward

Just a random comparison between two ex-captains but - can someone please answer the following questions, considering:

• McVeigh has shown himself to be one of the leading small forwards in the league on occasion. Check his record.
    • Jack has shown himself to be an excellent defender, initially as a tagger and later every week as a midfielder. His tackling is exemplary.

So why:

Is McVeigh earmarked as a backman and Jack as a forward?

No doubt McVeigh would clean up as a forward, and while Jack does not have the disposal capability of McVeigh he has more stopping power. So the final question is why? Why has it settled in this way?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

I wouldn't mind seeing this but Jack does/ did have a knack for being front and centre and hitting the contest at speed when it comes to ground, haven't seen that much this year though. Although our i50's haven't been great.

McVeigh is a lot slicker and more polished then Jack so he can play forward or back..

Jack relies on his speed and is close to being finished.

I think they should make KJ a tagger again and drop Foote. I'm also much more comfortable seeing McV in the forward line. Don't think he's a good defender one on one

Bedders on BF reporting Macca did his hammy at training this week. Get ready for the retirement speech.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Bedders on BF reporting Macca did his hammy at training this week. Get ready for the retirement speech.
    Wow! It really could be the end of an era.

Horse said last week after training his hammy was a bit "tight" and they chose not to play him as a "precaution". Then he said after the GWS game there was no way he'd be ready for this week. So that could mean lots of things including he doesn't want a team full of underdone players.

I have been thinking about what the club should do with K. Jack in the next game against Carlton. Should they send him back to the NEAFL to regain form and confidence or should they persevere with him in the firsts? Also should Aliir be brought for Marsh and maybe shift Jones to midfield in place of Foote and bring in Newman?

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    I have been thinking about what the club should do with K. Jack in the next game against Carlton. Should they send him back to the NEAFL to regain form and confidence or should they persevere with him in the firsts? Also should Aliir be brought for Marsh and maybe shift Jones to midfield in place of Foote and bring in Newman?
    I say make KJ tag in a purely defensive role and if he gets it the other way, great. If that fails I'm not sure what's left other than dropping him. Drop Foote replace with Newman. Bring back Aliir as a 3rd tall at expense of one of the Ruckmen (Sinclair outplayed Tippett v GWS). And if Hayward needs a spell perhaps Rose?

Push Macca's retirement date Forward by 6 months.
    Send Jack Back to the reserves.

J.McVeigh vs K.Jack - Back vs Forward

Yes. Both are done and not our future. Jack's form has been ordinary for a couple of years now, and you all know where i think mcveigh is at.
    Last edited by Meg; 25th April 2017 at 05:30 PM.

Regular in the Side
    Jack out injured for a few weeks was what Longmire said on on the couch.

John was OK on the couch , Buckley in his presser looked done .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast