Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 6 - CARLTON

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Uncharacteristically explicit from Longmire about team selection here

Veteran Site Admin
    I am slightly surprised at the praise for Rose (from Longmire). He can do (and did do, on Saturday) some clever, skilful things. But he also failed to register an effective tackle, and he picked and chose when he even made a pretence of putting pressure on the opposition.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    He also only had 7 disposals at 3 quarter time which I admit surprised me when I was checking the stats at the time because in my mind he seemed to have a greater impact but perhaps that just illustrates how eye-catching his disposals are.

He finished with 14 disposals

I hope they don't drop/rest Hayward. I think he could be good on the MCG.

From Longmire's comments it looks like Newman could be in line to replace Jack. If he mentioned Jack and Rose, then he may want another pacy small forward. It might give us more run and energy on a bigger ground. But not sure who else would drop out.

This business about Melican v Aliir that Horse referred to. We only have two tall defenders playing at the moment, one of whom is a second gamer. And we had to send Sam Reid back last week to cover a tall forward. It's not an either / or proposition surely, can't he play both?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    I hope they don't drop/rest Hayward. I think he could be good on the MCG.
    I guess that depends on whether he needs a rest or not? If he's buggered then surely it would be a mistake to play him on the bigger ground?

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I agree with liz that Aliir should return given his unique ability to bounce us out of defence, but probably won't. We are really struggling with rebounding at the moment without Rampe. However, Longmire's comments post game and On the Coach suggest they think he has more to do. Incidentally, I think he's demonstrated he has a long kick and reckon he's best suited to defence.

If he was to come back it'd be for Marsh and I agree with DynamoJim that Marsh was well beaten by each forward he marked on the weekend. No significant shame in that given who he was up against. He was one of our better players against West Coast. Reckon they'll give him another run.

I also agree with Ludwig that they likely want Cameron to play, but will probably determine he's not fit enough yet. Fair enough.

Foote has to drop down. He was ineffective tagging Scully and poor with it himself. I thought he was exposed as not being of AFL standard. I think that's a permanent state, but happy to be proven wrong.

Given Jack is out, that leaves two to come in.

Newman must be one. He's an elite kick and had poise at AFL level straight away. It was a mistake to drop him.

Rose, Florent and Dawson are the candidates for the other spot. Ultimately, Florent excites me most, but right now Dawson deserves a second shot. Rose has the advantage of being able to mark inside 50, but we don't need another 8-10 possession player.
    Good post. Concise, incisive, relevant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I am slightly surprised at the praise for Rose (from Longmire). He can do (and did do, on Saturday) some clever, skilful things. But he also failed to register an effective tackle, and he picked and chose when he even made a pretence of putting pressure on the opposition.
    Strong words, liz! And I agree. I thought Rose had numerous defensive lapses on the weekend and so I haven't been calling for his return like others on the back of his classy goals etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    This business about Melican v Aliir that Horse referred to. We only have two tall defenders playing at the moment, one of whom is a second gamer. And we had to send Sam Reid back last week to cover a tall forward. It's not an either / or proposition surely, can't he play both?
    I would like to see both play in the same team (together with Reg or another KPD) but it seems they are counting Marsh as a tall back too, when really he's only medium (as we saw on the weekend). However, I accept there reasons for not selecting AA for the time being and trust them to pick him at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    So is he lazy or just not capable? After 2-3 years on the list you'd reckon he'd got the message. I'd hate to see him selected if he just can't be bothered.

Yeah I always saw Marsh as more of a attacking half back than an established defender. I think for the balance of the team we need another bigger natural defender. Otherwise it is just Grundy and Melican. And if Grundy gets hurt during the game we are really undersized. And even our half backs like Lloyd, Newman or Mills are not amazing defensive players.

Omitting Aliir is controversial but it seems like he has had a poor preparation for the season. Longmire probably feels it is better for him to find form in the reserves and come back when he is 100%. It is high pressure position for a young inexperienced player.

It seems like Talia needs to play a few good reserve games. Laidler must be close to selection. It might have been something to do with whether he is suited to the opposition. Maiburn is inexperienced and did not have as outstanding trial games as Melican.

Grundy, Rampe and Aliir would be our first choice defence when fit and in form. But I think we definitely need to get games into Melican and Maiburn throughout the season.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Yeah I always saw Marsh as more of a attacking half back than an established defender. I think for the balance of the team we need another bigger natural defender. Otherwise it is just Grundy and Melican. And if Grundy gets hurt during the game we are really undersized...
    Or if Melican gets beaten by his opponent they'll have to move Sam Reid back again.

Regular in the Side
    We can get probably away with two tall defenders against Carlton who have really only Casboult and Weitering as tall options but we certainly proved that we couldn't against GWS with their three tall and classy forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    We can get probably away with two tall defenders against Carlton who have really only Casboult and Weitering as tall options but we certainly proved that we couldn't against GWS with their three tall and classy forwards.
    Yes. This is right. The Giants are unusual in that they have 3 really big forwards, all difficult matchups for one reason or another. It was a tough on Marsh to get the Cameron matchup and I wouldn't judge his performance this year on last week.

I think once Aliir does manage to get his senior recall, we can play with 3 tall defenders, because both Melican and Aliir can both play on medium sized forwards as well as KPFs. I think a setup with Grundy or Talia, Aliir and Melican works best for most opponents. The question will be what happens to Marsh once Rampe returns, because I think Newman will hold his spot once he's back which will make for a bit of a squeeze in the back line.

I was a bit surprised about the comments on Rose. I wonder if his ostensibly poor defensive performance was a one off or not. I have always thought of Rose a good defensive pressure player. I suppose that's why he didn't get into the Best votes last week. It will be interesting to see if either Rose or BJ get a call up this week. As an opposition coach, I'd let BJ get all the possession he could because he uses the footy so poorly.

I would be really disappointed if Sinclair got another game. His one good moment Saturday, which was his mark and goal, was made possible because Heeney got between Cal and his defender, and the ball would have gone through Cal's hands if not for Heeney stopping it by putting his own hand on the back of the ball as it was coming through Cal's hands.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast