Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 6 - CARLTON

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Yes. This is right. The Giants are unusual in that they have 3 really big forwards, all difficult matchups for one reason or another. It was a tough on Marsh to get the Cameron matchup and I wouldn't judge his performance this year on last week.

I think once Aliir does manage to get his senior recall, we can play with 3 tall defenders, because both Melican and Aliir can both play on medium sized forwards as well as KPFs. I think a setup with Grundy or Talia, Aliir and Melican works best for most opponents. The question will be what happens to Marsh once Rampe returns, because I think Newman will hold his spot once he's back which will make for a bit of a squeeze in the back line.

I was a bit surprised about the comments on Rose. I wonder if his ostensibly poor defensive performance was a one off or not. I have always thought of Rose a good defensive pressure player. I suppose that's why he didn't get into the Best votes last week. It will be interesting to see if either Rose or BJ get a call up this week. As an opposition coach, I'd let BJ get all the possession he could because he uses the footy so poorly.

I would be really disappointed if Sinclair got another game. His one good moment Saturday, which was his mark and goal, was made possible because Heeney got between Cal and his defender, and the ball would have gone through Cal's hands if not for Heeney stopping it by putting his own hand on the back of the ball as it was coming through Cal's hands.
    I didn't notice that about Sinclair's memorable contested mark and goal. I thought it was a sign of progress! It's not going to spoil my weekend if Sinclair doesn't play, but I think Horse is reluctant to only play one ruckman and no one else is fit.

Last year we played two tall defenders plus Rampe, who was able to play on a taller player like Cameron. Seems they see Melican as a better option than Aliir for 2nd tall defender. But the 3rd defender (Rampe) role; if they were experimenting with Marsh in that role on Saturday v GWS it was an absolute failure. I would imagine as soon as they can sort Aliir's "issues" out he'll be a better option than Marsh. He certainly offers a lot more offensively. Or have I missed something?

Does this mean longer term there's one spot in the team for Aliir / Melican to fight over? Particularly once Rampe comes back.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Warming the Bench
    I wonder if Horse or any of the coaches read this forum....

My team to play Carlton

Defenders

Newman Talia Marsh
    Mills Melican Aliir

AA can play the Rampe role in his absence

Mids

Hannebery Jones Lloyd
    Tippett JPK Hewett

Hanners is better as an outside player and Lloyd is more effective in the mids.

Forwards

Franklin Reid Parker
    Papley Rohan Hayward

interchange
    Smith Heeney Dawson Rose

out: Grundy, Sinclair, Foote, KJ (injured), Cunningham
    Ins: Newman, AA, Dawson, Rose

Don't need 2 ruckmen - well maybe we do as Tippet is injury prone
    Don't need a tagger - every player needs to up the defensive pressure.

However, I don't think my selections will get up. Most likely it will be KJ out and Newman in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post

My team to play Carlton

Defenders

Newman Talia Marsh
    Mills Melican Aliir

Mids

Hannebery Jones Lloyd
    Tippett JPK Hewett

Forwards

Franklin Reid Parker
    Papley Rohan Hayward

interchange
    Smith Heeney Dawson Rose

However, I don't think my selections will get up. Most likely it will be KJ out and Newman in.
    I'm pretty sure the coaches and players would not go anywhere near this site. Too demoralising for the players and too trivial for the coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Number 43 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the coaches and players would not go anywhere near this site. Too demoralising for the players and too trivial for the coaches.
    It is not much better for the supporters.. Just imagine what this place will be like if we lose to Carlton.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post

My team to play Carlton

Defenders

Newman Talia Marsh
    Mills Melican Aliir

Mids

Hannebery Jones Lloyd
    Tippett JPK Hewett

Forwards

Franklin Reid Parker
    Papley Rohan Hayward

interchange
    Smith Heeney Dawson Rose

Don't understand Reg out and Talia in. Cunningham was our top tackler last week and does seem to be hardening the **** up. I'd bring AA back, but he's on a plane to the NT. I wonder if they'll persist with the Foote tagger experiment? I can see candidates at Carlton for him to play on.

I don't want to think what will happen if we lose to Carlton.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post

Personally I am going to be really annoyed if AA does not play. He has definitely got something special and could easily go Full forward with Buddy up on the wing. I think it would be worth a try. Just wonder if its some kind of discipline stuff???

Quote Originally Posted by Number 43 View Post

What a bunch of armchair coaches we are!

Goes up to 11
    Aliir certainly needs a week or two more in the NEAFL. We all know how good he could be, but he's young and with a limited preseason, I'd rather see him work on what he needs to work on and hit his straps a bit later this season.

With our fwd line we need to get it in quick
    Newman Alir Jones and Rampe are the only 4 capable of that from the back half
    Can not for the life of me think why AA isnt getting a game
    It cant be errrors based half the team would be out and i reckon foote has by far cost more score off turnovers

It would appear that there is going to be minimal changes for this week. I think that with K.Jack out they will bring in Rose though I would like to see Newman brought in with Mills moved into the centre.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast