Carlton vs swans - 29th April at 210pm

Well well well

16th plays 18th in round 6 of 2017

Who would have thought

No kizza see below

Jack to miss Blues clash - sydneyswans.com.au
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Changes for Round 6 - CARLTON

Considering the emotion around last week�s game and the calls from some to make wholesale changes, I can�t believe it has taken this long to get a thread going. For me the changes should be

Out
    Jack � injury and form
    Foote � hasn�t really taken his chance and others deserve a chance
    Sinclair � average player at best
    Tippett � not a fan of 3 tall forward line and didn�t like his work rate last week

In
    Newman � shouldn�t have been dropped in the 1st place and will allow Jones and Mills to play further up the field
    Aliir � Carlton don�t have a great ruckman, so as good a game as any to see if he has a future as a tap ruckman
    Dawson � with Tippett out gives us a medium sized marking option
    Rose � allows Heeney to play more in the middle and deserves another chance.

Structural changes
    Jones to play an inside midfield role along with Kennedy and Hewett. Allowing Hannebery and Parker to play their more natural run and carry roles. Mills and Heeney to have their training wheels removed and have a permanent role in the midfield. With Dawson and Rohan as marking medium forwards it will allow Reid to float back in defence if required. Carlton are not particularly tall in their forward line so Marsh should get a better D3 match up and hopefully provide a bit more intercept marking that is so important this days. Newman and Lloyd to provide the drive from half-back. They are not particularly fast but have good penetrating kicks. Above all, I would to see players stick to their roles. As opposed to Longmires current strategy of having players play all over the place.

B: Smith Grundy Marsh
    HB: Newman Melican Lloyd
    Fol: Aliir Kennedy Jones (Hewett)
    C: Hannebery Parker Heeney (Mills, Cunningham)
    HF: Rose Franklin Hayward
    F: Rohan Reid Papley (Dawson)

Interchange players in ().

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    Considering the emotion around last week�s game and the calls from some to make wholesale changes, I can�t believe it has taken this long to get a thread going. For me the changes should be

Out
    Jack � injury and form
    Foote � hasn�t really taken his chance and others deserve a chance
    Sinclair � average player at best
    Tippett � not a fan of 3 tall forward line and didn�t like his work rate last week

In
    Newman � shouldn�t have been dropped in the 1st place and will allow Jones and Mills to play further up the field
    Aliir � Carlton don�t have a great ruckman, so as good a game as any to see if he has a future as a tap ruckman
    Dawson � with Tippett out gives us a medium sized marking option
    Rose � allows Heeney to play more in the middle and deserves another chance.

Structural changes
    Jones to play an inside midfield role along with Kennedy and Hewett. Allowing Hannebery and Parker to play their more natural run and carry roles. Mills and Heeney to have their training wheels removed and have a permanent role in the midfield. With Dawson and Rohan as marking medium forwards it will allow Reid to float back in defence if required. Carlton are not particularly tall in their forward line so Marsh should get a better D3 match up and hopefully provide a bit more intercept marking that is so important this days. Newman and Lloyd to provide the drive from half-back. They are not particularly fast but have good penetrating kicks. Above all, I would to see players stick to their roles. As opposed to Longmires current strategy of having players play all over the place.

B: Smith Grundy Marsh
    HB: Newman Melican Lloyd
    Fol: Aliir Kennedy Jones (Hewett)
    C: Hannebery Parker Heeney (Mills, Cunningham)
    HF: Rose Franklin Hayward
    F: Rohan Reid Papley (Dawson)

Interchange players in ().
    I like all those changes except Kreuzer will be back this week, so we need to play one recognised ruckman, probably Tippett

Given how well BJ is going in the reserves (albeit disposal issues) do you think we might see a Jack for Jack swap this week?

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Well well well

16th plays 18th in round 6 of 2017

Who would have thought

No kizza see below

Jack to miss Blues clash - sydneyswans.com.au
    We are going down to Melbourne for this one, so I hope we turn in something approaching a decent performance as we are getting up very early for our flight down to Melbourne on Saturday morning.

No surprise KJ is not playing - he clearly hasn't been anywhere near 100% all season - it has been showing in his performances. I think there may be a couple more changes to go with it, but we will have to wait and see.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I think they need to focus on increasing the number of pressure acts. On the weekend there just did not seem to be the level of intensity around the ball enabling GWS to run riot through the midfield and to deliver to the forwards. Looking at the swans list players are simply not delivering on pressure. Notables include Tippett, Reid, Jack, etc and the list goes on. It is almost like the current view that sides need to be super quick (crows, bulldogs etc) has caused a drop off in defensive pressure.

On the Rookie List
    Allir will get another week or two in the NEAFL. He was making the same mistakes in the two's last Saturday with some poor decision making and inconsistent form. Likely changes for mine are:
    Out: Kizza, Sinclair, Foote
    In: Newman, Cameron, Dawson (or Rose)

Our biggest problem has been finding a replacement for Tom Mitchell. While he had his limitations in pace and kicking disposal he got in and under and got the ball out to Hannebury, Parker et al. Without him Joey is battling on his own and his effectiveness has lessened as a result.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I think they need to focus on increasing the number of pressure acts. On the weekend there just did not seem to be the level of intensity around the ball enabling GWS to run riot through the midfield and to deliver to the forwards. Looking at the swans list players are simply not delivering on pressure. Notables include Tippett, Reid, Jack, etc and the list goes on. It is almost like the current view that sides need to be super quick (crows, bulldogs etc) has caused a drop off in defensive pressure.
    It does almost seem like they've forgotten, over the off-season, how to play with intensity and ferocity. If you look at how they attacked the ball and the man in the finals, especially the SF and the PF, it looks like a different team. Personnel and injury issues can only go so far to explain this.

Back in 2014 the Swans had a pretty ordinary start to the season, losing three out of the first four games, with just a great performance against the Crows at NAO earning points. In round five they hosted Fremantle, a week after a particularly soft and soggy effort in the torrential rain against North (at the SCG). I remember Ben McGlynn starting the game like a man possessed. He made some horrendous skill errors early on, but his relentless attack on the ball and the opponents started to rub off on the rest of the team and they finally clicked into gear. It was the start of a 12 game winning streak.

Who can be our Ben McGlynn on Saturday at the MCG? Who will take it upon themselves to remind the rest of the team the level of energy and intensity required?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Allir will get another week or two in the NEAFL. He was making the same mistakes in the two's last Saturday with some poor decision making and inconsistent form. Likely changes for mine are:
    Out: Kizza, Sinclair, Foote
    In: Newman, Cameron, Dawson (or Rose)

Our biggest problem has been finding a replacement for Tom Mitchell. While he had his limitations in pace and kicking disposal he got in and under and got the ball out to Hannebury, Parker et al. Without him Joey is battling on his own and his effectiveness has lessened as a result.
    I suspect your thoughts on AA will be reflected in the team selected on Thursday, but I'd bring him in. His NEAFL game on Saturday was somewhat error prone, but he also did some excellent stuff, defensively and offensively. His errors were no worse than some of the howlers served up by the seniors later that evening. What he does offer is a different way of getting the ball out of defence. There were times against the Giants where the back six looked to have lost all confidence and were allowing themselves to get pinned back further and further into the defensive 50 when they had the ball that they had no choice other than the long kick down the line to a contest, invariably marked by a Giant. Even if he makes some mistakes in the process, I think AA is the best chance to inspire the rest of the side to be a bit more daring. I liked that he was kicking a bit longer in Saturday's NEAFL game too. His short passes are fine when there's someone really on - he rarely misses a target. But he does sometimes kick short to someone who already has an opponent on their tail, meaning that however accurate the kick, a turnover is on the cards.

In terms of other changes, I'd love to see Dawson get another go. He was good again against UWS, and of all our reserves players, he's the one that has a skill set that suggests he should be at least reasonable at senior level. With Papley and Rohan now back, and assuming Hayward holds his spot for now, I think he'd be fine to replace Jack, even though he's not a similar kind of player.

Newman must also be a good chance for a recall. He, Dawson and Aliir are the three best kicks currently out of the senior team and we desperately need players who can at least aim for a target.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It does almost seem like they've forgotten, over the off-season, how to play with intensity and ferocity. If you look at how they attacked the ball and the man in the finals, especially the SF and the PF, it looks like a different team. Personnel and injury issues can only go so far to explain this.
    I really noticed the difference in our intensity after watching several games over the weekend, especially the Melbourne-Richmond game and the Collingwood-Essendon game. There were plenty of skill errors, but the players gave it their all and both games were highly entertaining. It's a good question Liz. Where is our intensity and ferocity?

I would like to see Cameron get a game. Although he's not on the injury list, he didn't play out the game and suspect he won't be deemed ready to play seniors this week. Although I suggested that Aliir could be an option in the ruck, I don't think this is the time to do it, i.e. when he is still trying to find his feet as a defender this season. So I think we will have to stick with Tippett and hope that he finds the form that made him one of our best players before his hamstring injury last season. But Sinclair has to go.

Besides Sinclair and Jack, I would drop Foote and Hayward. Both need to get into top form in the NEAFL before a recall. Hayward has been great, but he's struggling with his consistency over the 4 quarters at senior level.

Coming In: Aliir, Newman, Rose and Dawson.

Laidler has been good in the reserves, but it would mean dropping Marsh to do it and I don't feel that's warranted. When in doubt, go with the younger (and quicker) player with more upside.

I also wouldn't mind swapping Talia for Reg, but doubt this will happen. Talia played well on the weekend, but it's only one game and usually Longmire likes to see a few weeks of good play to be convinced. But I see this change coming sometime down the line.

Brandon Jack keeps racking up the possessions, but still cannot hit enough targets or make the right decisions with ball in hand. It's a real pity, because he has a lot to offer if he could get this right.

These changes would see a lot more of Lloyd and Mills running through the midfield and quite a different mix up forward as well. Dawson has spent some time at stoppages in the NEAFL. I wouldn't be surprised to see him there a few times at senior level. He doesn't look out of place at the centre bounces. It's one of the trends in the AFL these days to present a lot of different looks at stoppages and having elite midfielders spending more time up forward. I think we have the personnel to do it too. I like Parker as a forward. He's a great mark and usually an accurate goal kicker. It might help getting him back on track.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Who can be our Ben McGlynn on Saturday at the MCG? Who will take it upon themselves to remind the rest of the team the level of energy and intensity required?
    Sounds like a job for Papley and/or Jones. Although they're both young they can be ferocious at times

Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    Sounds like a job for Papley and/or Jones. Although they're both young they can be ferocious at times
    I wondered whether BJ could be used as a tackling machine like his brother (used to be)

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast