Thread: Rib/lung injuries

Rib/lung injuries

There seems to be a large number of rib and lung injuries lately. Another one for the demons this weekend (still in hospital). The other ones I can remember are Josh Jenkins and Travis Cloke. There may be more.

Is this because now the head is protected players are targeting the body with knees instead of the head with arms/fists? Interested in peoples thoughts.

Veterans List
    Could be that they have relaxed the rule where you cannot body hit an unsuspecting player in say a shepherding situation. In the past the correct shepherd was with outstretched arms to prevent a player from tackling. There seems to be a lot more full, front on hits on players. Not that these are not legitimate, but it appears a trend. Ziebell's hit on Cloke is a very good example. Cloke had kicked the ball and Ziebell, as he has done many times, chose to charge Cloke rather than tackle. Poor umpiring to not at least pay a free downfield. I am not saying there is anything wrong with a good hip and shoulder but it must be legal.

Goes up to 11
    Probably the sort of collision injuries we'll see more of given the AFLs desire to see a faster game.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Probably the sort of collision injuries we'll see more of given the AFLs desire to see a faster game.
    Somewhat ironic when the AFL started reducing the number of interchanges several years ago because, it was said, the game had become too fast which was leading to an excessive number of injuries!

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Somewhat ironic when the AFL started reducing the number of interchanges several years ago because, it was said, the game had become too fast which was leading to an excessive number of injuries!
    Yes they were my exact same thoughts as I wrote that!