Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Round 5: NT Thunder v Sydney Swans Reserves @ TIO Stadium

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Sometimes the stats don't tell the story very well.

Gowers got a lot of the ball, but used it poorly.
    Dawson really worked hard. I was impressed by the number of contests he got to. Took marks and tackled hard. He has a funny way of walking, but once he moves, he moves quickly. Newman is similar in this trait.
    Murray continues his improvement.
    I noticed that Towers got 1st best, but I didn't feel he had much influence. He was the team captain though.
    Pink did some impressive stuff, but has to chase harder when the other team has the ball. But is off to a promising start.
    Cameron had a big presence all game.
    COL didn't get any of the votes, but I thought he was close to BOG. Has the AFL look about him.
    Ollie is a very classy player.
    I don't know why MacDonald got in the Bests. I didn't think he did anything special. Harrison Carr was best of the toppies for mine. I don't remember seeing him before. Looks quick and agile. Does anyone know something about him?

There was one play in the 3rd qtr when Aliir scooped the ball up off the ground with one hand and hit up Dawson spot on in the centre of the ground. Dawson waited a couple of seconds then spotted Cameron leading to the left side in the forward and hit him up with a perfect pass. Was the best play of the day, except Cameron missed the shot on goal. Dawson's kicking wasn't perfect every time, but some were very impressive.
    Good one Ludwig, I agree with all of this.

I agree Carr was the best toppie. First NEAFL game, I recall from ugg's preview.

O'Riordan with his uncompromising approach, speed, and directness is exactly the kind of player needed in the seniors. If he was on the senior list, he'd be a strong candidate to play now. I prefer him to Fox for the upgrade to AJ's LTIL spot.

Cameron did have a big presence, well put. He was all over the ground and plays with determination. I thought he led and typified our effort. Won't shirk a contest, will make a second effort if he makes a mistake. Good mark.

Really encouraged by Florent's game; the sort of game I hoped to see from him in the NEAFL. Should be great for his confidence. One day he'll dominate like that against senior opposition. Bloody exciting. Only two tackles, and I discerned a harder chase from him in the third quarter, perhaps after some feedback.

Senior Player
    Edit: re Carr, the first NEAFL game of the year, not ever.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    O'Riordan with his uncompromising approach, speed, and directness is exactly the kind of player needed in the seniors. If he was on the senior list, he'd be a strong candidate to play now. I prefer him to Fox for the upgrade to AJ's LTIL spot.
    Fox is back on the rookie list. Melican is currently keeping AJ's spot on the senior list warm. With Papley and Rohan having returned to the playing ranks, that's the only LTIL spot currently available.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Fox is back on the rookie list. Melican is currently keeping AJ's spot on the senior list warm. With Papley and Rohan having returned to the playing ranks, that's the only LTIL spot currently available.
    Ah, thanks. I'd lost track. Well, Melican has that spot secured.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Really like this guy. Long way to go, but can mark, kick a decent set shot and is fast; undoubtedly has the right attitude.
    I find Pink a bit of an enigma. He clearly has good pace for someone of his height, and that first goal he kicked on Friday showed a fair bit of nous and skill - not just that he got to the ball first, but had sufficient time and presence to slow and balance himself before executing the kick. He works hard too, and his endurance looks reasonable for a first year player.

I get the impression he's not entirely sure he belongs at this level. In the game where he landed up with six goals, his first half was fairly ordinary - he poked at kicks and seemed surprised when the ball landed in his hands. I reckon the coaches are working on making him believe, and are making some progress. The determination with which he went back and converted the kick for his second goal on Friday was encouraging. I don't think he'd even have thought about attempting that a month ago.

My question mark over him is whether he's got enough of a competitive edge - mongrel, if you like - to graduate to the next level. Maybe it is just a case of confidence, and as this continues to improve, so will his intensity at each and every contest. For well over a decade, I've been watching young forwards come in and try to make their mark at whatever reserve grade the Swans are playing in at the time. Compared to a Grundy, say, or a White, he seems to enter contests hoping he might come away with the ball, rather than expecting he will. Not that those two won every contest, but they generally approached them as if they would.

It would be interesting to see him spend a bit of time in defence, to see how he spoils, and how he positions himself.
    Last edited by liz; 1st May 2017 at 11:52 PM.

Senior Player
    I find Pink a bit of an enigma. He clearly has good pace for someone of his height, and that first goal he kicked on Friday showed a fair bit of nous and skill - not just that he got to the ball first, but had sufficient time and presence to slow and balance himself before executing the kick. He works hard too, and his endurance looks reasonable for a first year player.

I get the impression he's not entirely sure he belongs at this level. In the game where he landed up with six goals, his first half was fairly ordinary - he poked at kicks and seemed surprised when the ball landed in his hands. I reckon the coaches are working on making him believe, and are making some progress. The determination with which he went back and converted the kick for his second goal on Friday was encouraging. I don't think he'd even have thought about attempting that a month ago.

My question mark over him is whether he's got enough of a competitive edge - mongrel, if you like - to graduate to the next level. Maybe it is just a case of confidence, and as this continues to improve, so will his intensity at each and every contest. I've been watching young forwards come in and try to make their mark at whatever reserve grade the Swans are playing in at the time. Compared to a Grundy, say, or a White, he seems to enter contests hoping he might come away with the ball, rather than expecting he will. Not that those two won every contest, but they generally approached them as if they would.

It would be interesting to see him spend a bit of time in defence, to see how he spoils, and how he positions himself.
    I'm kind of surprised you say that. I've seen fewer NEAFL games than you - most of the last two and flashes of his six goal haul (I recall some from the goal square and over the back). But the moments the stick in my mind involve notable determination and self belief: a chase and tackle in the forward pocket v the Giants and that contested mark and 58m goal v Thunder, which you noted. He moved walked back from the mark like a man who knew he wasn't going to miss.

To the extent he's surprised by doing well, perhaps that's not surprising for someone who was a club's last pick in the rookie draft. He seems a good guy. I'm optimistic!

Senior Player

My question mark over him is whether he's got enough of a competitive edge - mongrel, if you like - to graduate to the next level. Maybe it is just a case of confidence, and as this continues to improve, so will his intensity at each and every contest. For well over a decade, I've been watching young forwards come in and try to make their mark at whatever reserve grade the Swans are playing in at the time. Compared to a Grundy, say, or a White, he seems to enter contests hoping he might come away with the ball, rather than expecting he will. Not that those two won every contest, but they generally approached them as if they would.

Hi Liz, that's an interesting perspective. I see him as a player with very well rounded skills and abilities for a KPP. His reading of the play seems good, he seems to know where and when to run, his kicking and handballing is good and I am particularly impressed by his ball handling and agility ( the pirouetting handball through the middle to sustain a chain of handballs that led to a goal in the third quarter was particularly impressive).

He looks to me to be the sort of build that will end up at about 95kg rather than his present 85kg. That in itself will bring a lot of self belief in my opinion. I am also in the Toby optimists club and am ever hopeful he will do well.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    [QUOTE=Brettb;723743]
    Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    What's the go here? Injured?[/
    Broke his ribs in the last intraclub I believe, had some serious complications from that injury, is about 2 weeks away from a neafl return
    Gee whiz, ok. I've had rib issues nothing that bad. It's a bloody painful, debilitating thing. Thank you!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    NEAFL MVP votes

NT Thunder v Sydney

8: Dean Towers (Sydney)
    5: Darcy Cameron (Sydney)
    5: Oliver Florent (Sydney)
    4: Jordan Dawson (Sydney)
    3: Toby Pink (Sydney)
    3: Cameron Ilett (NT Thunder)
    2: Adam Sambono (NT Thunder)

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    NEAFL MVP votes

NT Thunder v Sydney

8: Dean Towers (Sydney)
    5: Darcy Cameron (Sydney)
    5: Oliver Florent (Sydney)
    4: Jordan Dawson (Sydney)
    3: Toby Pink (Sydney)
    3: Cameron Ilett (NT Thunder)
    2: Adam Sambono (NT Thunder)
    Is this Dean Towers v2.0?
    Or if we play him in the AFL will he be unable to reproduce his NEAFL form?

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    Is this Dean Towers v2.0?
    Or if we play him in the AFL will he be unable to reproduce his NEAFL form?
    He's the perfect candidate for the midfielder-ruckman position. He could reignite his career with this role as no opposition ruckman could go with him. He can rotate with Aliir. Cameron can take a third of the contests playing as a forward-ruck. We should train up Toby Pink to play as a ruckman-tall utility (same as Aliir). We should get rid all the other so-called ruckmen asap.

With the new rule changes and with the AFL moving to a last touch OOB rule, only the centre bounces really matter for stoppages. Any given team can just play to its strengths at centre bounce set plays and try to get an advantage. Having a tall ruckman is only one way to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    He's the perfect candidate for the midfielder-ruckman position. He could reignite his career with this role as no opposition ruckman could go with him. He can rotate with Aliir. Cameron can take a third of the contests playing as a forward-ruck. We should train up Toby Pink to play as a ruckman-tall utility (same as Aliir). We should get rid all the other so-called ruckmen asap.

With the new rule changes and with the AFL moving to a last touch OOB rule, only the centre bounces really matter for stoppages. Any given team can just play to its strengths at centre bounce set plays and try to get an advantage. Having a tall ruckman is only one way to go about it.
    I can see the logic in all of this. I wonder if anyone in Horse's inner sanctum can? How does Aliir / Towers compare to Goodesy height wise?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast