Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Rnd. 6. Carlton V Sydney. MCG 14.10 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Merdo5555 View Post
    The clear rules trend has been to eliminate stoppages and focus on skills. This has been happening for years yet we haven't adjusted our game style or been stocking up on skill players. What is the coaching staff doing?

The buck stops with the coach.
    Given we have played in 3 grandfinals in the last 5 years....Won the minor premiership last year and just got pipped in the GF....These facts tell me our game style etc have been just fine.

I actually agree ,it's probably about time Horse moved on...But not because he's been left behind, he clearly hasn't....

But because he has been coaching at the Swans for 15 seasons now, he and the Swans are overdue for some change.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Give Longmire the rest of the year to change the game plan and work out what players should be kept. If we don't win a couple more by the middle of the season and continue to perform so badly then I would be looking at a new coach now. I'm giving him a chance but patience is running thin. Losing is okay, abysmal performances like Saturday are not.

If we don't see a new style and attitude by the end of the year then Longmire is gone.

Irrespective of Longmire we need new Assistants. I wouldn't mind even bringing some in now, we need to shake up the current lethargy. Our coaching group has been in cruise mode for too long they are all too comfortable. Look at the Tigers, some new blood in the box has led to dramatically better performances.

If Ross Lyon can change game plans within weeks then Longmire can too. If he can't then he is a dinosaur and we know what happened to them!

"Given we have played in 3 grandfinals in the last 5 years....Won the minor premiership last year and just got pipped in the GF....These facts tell me our game style etc have been just fine."

We won the first one by a fingers width, got smashed in the second one and lost the 3rd (blaming the umpires is all fine and good but in the end we lost). Minor premierships are meaningless the real deal is in premierships. If Alistair Clarkson was coaching us I think we would have won all of them and maybe another one. Horse has never been a great innovator and the reality is if your standing still you get overtaken.

If Ross Lyon can change game plans within weeks then Longmire can too. If he can't then he is a dinosaur and we know what happened to them!
    Ross Lyon spent all of 2016 unsuccessfully trying to introduce a different game plan. It was not an overnight change.

I think it's going to be hard to teach players to play a completely different way mid-year.

Given where the game is headed it should have been done over the off season. Look at Fremantle's first game and their last 2, there have been significant changes made in weeks. No it's not ideal but going 0-6 isn't fun either.

In all of our 6 matches we are trailing our opposition player by at least 5 metres on their second kick out of defence, this generally results in us getting cut to pieces by skillful sides. How about we play tight coverage instead, inevitable we will lose some of the one-on-ones, a contest would hopefully slow the ball enough to let our currently very bad defence get organised. Plenty of similar small changes we can make.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Given we have played in 3 grandfinals in the last 5 years....Won the minor premiership last year and just got pipped in the GF....These facts tell me our game style etc have been just fine.

I actually agree ,it's probably about time Horse moved on...But not because he's been left behind, he clearly hasn't....

But because he has been coaching at the Swans for 15 seasons now, he and the Swans are overdue for some change.
    I agree in part about the game style, but I think there is also a clear structural break occurring in terms of the style of AFL, and what works/doesn't work.

The game is moving away from one in which hard contested footy, in which tackles are rewarded and you can grind out a result against inferior teams, to one where its all about 'pace', quick movement - move the ball on at all costs. Our game style is struggling to fit into the new world, and its being compounded by the poor form of many players at the moment.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

In all of our 6 matches we are trailing our opposition player by at least 5 metres on their second kick out of defence, this generally results in us getting cut to pieces by skillful sides. How about we play tight coverage instead, inevitable we will lose some of the one-on-ones, a contest would hopefully slow the ball enough to let our currently very bad defence get organised. Plenty of similar small changes we can make.
    Trailing opposition players is due to a lack of work rate, which would always be nice to improve. But it certainly is not in the game plan that we not apply pressure to the opposition.

No team plays one on one anymore because it's too easy for the other side to dictate the terms of play by isolating players to their advantage. One missed coverage can leave an open path to goal with no coverage, since all the other players are sticking to their assigned players.

It's just silly talk about dumping Longmire. He's contracted through 2020. John Blakey's not going anywhere either. Without knowing the influence of each of the coaches, who can say which ones are not doing a good job. In any case, they are accused of be doing a good job last year, but not so good for 6 games this year.

I really would like to hear some concrete proposal of how you would change the game plan. What is the game plan now and how you would change it?

It's pretty hard to have any effective game plan if you're not winning the contested footy, not kicking well, not pressuring the other side and dropping marks. When our best players are down in form, not much is going to work until they get back into form again.

I think our game plan is to move the ball quickly through the corridor, but we are not winning enough of the ball and muck it up when we do though poor execution.

Only just watched it.

How many times on the Fox call did Roosey 'plead' with Horse to move Buddy forward 'otherwise Sydney have no chance to win this game.'

Bolton must have given clear instructions to rough up Mills, but he handled it like a 150 game player.

Carlton played very well especially Silvagni , Casboult and Krueger ..

Why does Sinclair drop chest marks at this level?

I'm not despairing, how old is Hayward ? Eighteen . He's terrific , Isaac is a gun .

Carlton could sniff a win here and it looked very cold and damp .

The team will climb out of this OK .

I know it is a tougher way to defend, but it would be nice of us to play much tighter to the man, or in some circumstances even play in front when defending. There has been no shortage of things to frustrate us as fans this year, but the sheer number of goals we are giving away by letting forwards lead us to the ball has really been on my nerve all season. Of course its easy to say these things from the vantage point of the crowd, but we surely could do better than our current approach. Who is the current defence coach?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Carlton could sniff a win here and it looked very cold and damp .

Damp yes and perhaps a little slippery, and a little chilly, but perfect conditions for footy really - conditions were absolutely no excuse for what we put out yesterday.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's just silly talk about dumping Longmire. He's contracted through 2020. John Blakey's not going anywhere either. Without knowing the influence of each of the coaches, who can say which ones are not doing a good job. In any case, they are accused of be doing a good job last year, but not so good for 6 games this year.

I really would like to hear some concrete proposal of how you would change the game plan. What is the game plan now and how you would change it?

It's pretty hard to have any effective game plan if you're not winning the contested footy, not kicking well, not pressuring the other side and dropping marks. When our best players are down in form, not much is going to work until they get back into form again.

I think our game plan is to move the ball quickly through the corridor, but we are not winning enough of the ball and muck it up when we do though poor execution.
    Some common sense
    Lets have a win against Brisbane at the SCG on Saturday and put this "Owen" nonsense behind us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Trailing opposition players is due to a lack of work rate, which would always be nice to improve. But it certainly is not in the game plan that we not apply pressure to the opposition.

No team plays one on one anymore because it's too easy for the other side to dictate the terms of play by isolating players to their advantage. One missed coverage can leave an open path to goal with no coverage, since all the other players are sticking to their assigned players.

+1!!!
    Some hard 2way running would help as well. At the game yesterday i was imploring them to run into spaces. To provide options for their teammates. But it was clearly evident that we dont have the stomach for it. It is not an easy thing to do and we just aren't fit enough.
    I haven't and never will give up on our great club. I still think we can make finals. I believe in them.

Would not need to run both ways as much if we hit targets and did not drop simple marks or made our tackles instead of just throwing an arm out - You can change a game plan when u do the basics right !! As for getting getting faster that is another story - always look slower when u have to turn around and chase - attitude reflects leadership !!