Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Rnd. 6. Carlton V Sydney. MCG 14.10 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    If the game has changed then its a failure of our coaching staff to adapt our game plan to encompass the changes. At times we have been arrogant and insisted our game -plan is robust and flexible to keep up with the changes and it has but this year is the exception. To me our start reflects Freo last year with injuries to key players and a game plan that didn't evolve from the year before.

Cheers waz
    The problem is the AFL decides to announce a few rules changes BUT then you have 100 bloody interpretations within that rule and thus no one knows whats going on.

What could be deemed as a throw one week could then be called play on a few weeks later. No one bloody knows because the AFL is reactionary in everything they do, these no real foresight.

Veterans List
    Good news that Buddy has been cleared for the incident just before the first bounce. I hadn't seen any footage but from what I heard on the radio they made out he could be in trouble.

And even better news that Greene has finally been suspended!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I want to try and understand what happened with the Tippett non replacement.

Both Tippett and Marsh got injured at training on Thursday. They flew Laidler back to replace Marsh (and Marsh was replaced in the named side) but they didn't bother replacing Tippett and used Rose as an emergency.

They must have known Tippett was never going to play. Why not fly Cameron back as second ruck? Does this mean they don't think he's ready yet or they'd rather ruck Sam Reid and leave us with no FWD structure?

Confused.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I want to try and understand what happened with the Tippett non replacement.

Both Tippett and Marsh got injured at training on Thursday. They flew Laidler back to replace Marsh (and Marsh was replaced in the named side) but they didn't bother replacing Tippett and used Rose as an emergency.

They must have known Tippett was never going to play. Why not fly Cameron back as second ruck? Does this mean they don't think he's ready yet or they'd rather ruck Sam Reid and leave us with no FWD structure?

Confused.
    I think they gave Tippett an extra day hoping he might come up. marsh had a hammy so no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    I think they gave Tippett an extra day hoping he might come up. marsh had a hammy so no chance.
    Why not at the very least name Cameron as an emergency.

And they are saying Tippett may well not play this week either, so highly unlikely not to play. Something weird going on.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Why not at the very least name Cameron as an emergency.

And they are saying Tippett may well not play this week either, so highly unlikely not to play. Something weird going on.
    Cameron really needed the full NEAFL game and it served him well.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Cameron really needed the full NEAFL game and it served him well.
    I hope you are right and he's done enough to earn himself a spot this week assuming Tippo doesn't get up

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Glad that some of the senior guys copped a bit in the media about the targeting of Mills, and glad to hear Luke acknowledge it and say they won't let it happen again. I hope reflecting on it is a turning point.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Glad that some of the senior guys copped a bit in the media about the targeting of Mills, and glad to hear Luke acknowledge it and say they won't let it happen again. I hope reflecting on it is a turning point.
    +1

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I should add- for those who've questioned Harry's hardness, in the clips they showed he was the only guy who I saw recognise it was going on and run to put himself between Callum and some of the Carlton guys.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I should add- for those who've questioned Harry's hardness, in the clips they showed he was the only guy who I saw recognise it was going on and run to put himself between Callum and some of the Carlton guys.
    I thought Lewis Melican did try to fly the flag as well but yes apart from him it appeared to be only the much maligned Harry who at least showed some fight.

Regular in the Side

Round 6 2018- So how�d we go?

Quote Originally Posted by Merdo5555 View Post
    Given where the game is headed it should have been done over the off season. Look at Fremantle's first game and their last 2, there have been significant changes made in weeks. No it's not ideal but going 0-6 isn't fun either.

In all of our 6 matches we are trailing our opposition player by at least 5 metres on their second kick out of defence, this generally results in us getting cut to pieces by skillful sides. How about we play tight coverage instead, inevitable we will lose some of the one-on-ones, a contest would hopefully slow the ball enough to let our currently very bad defence get organised. Plenty of similar small changes we can make.
    I reflect on exactly a year ago. Just lost to lowly Carlton in a terrible performance. Zero and six. Season 2017 is gone.

Fast forward to late October, same year. Next season�s Fixture comes out. 4 of our first six 2017 games are exactedly repeated. So how did we go?

My assessesment is an 7 out 10:
    -only non WA to win in Perth. The Round One win against the Eagles was in high sight was magnificent.
    -beat a Premiership favourite, the Giants, who a year earlier appear to have to wood on us with 3 powerful wins in a row.
    -another unbelievable and in this case against the odds win against the Cats at Kardinia Park.
    -beat the Premiers from only 18 months ago in the Bulldogs on their home ground, coming from a long way behind at half time.

OK, there were the South Australian/SCG losses. However:
    -Port always do well at the SCG very early in given seasons as shown in �99, �06, and last year.
    -Tough coming back from Perth with 51/2 day break
    -With the Crows Buddy and Hanners were injured and shouldn�t have played
    -The Crows (including their coach) were fired up after a poor game in ADELAIDE the week before.

I am sure there are plenty of other negatives. However, overall and compared with the first six Rounds of 2017, you�d have to fairly happy.