Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 7 V Brisbane.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Marsh is listed as an emergency, so if he's fit to play perhaps he will play in the reserves and Newman will get the week off. Otherwise, both Marsh and Foote won't play for 2 straight weeks.

It doesn't make sense to me to drop Newman or even leave Marsh out of the side to bring in McVeigh without any match practice for over 7 months. I thought Newman has been one of our better players during this dismal start to the season, and consistent throughout the 4 games he's played.

Good to see that we've finally gone with a 3 tall defender setup. We were hurt last week by having to drop Reid back into defence because we couldn't cover all of Carlton's tall forwards.

I really don't see the need to carry 2 ruckman, especially when one of them is Sinclair, who will be playing mostly up forward where he will have more opportunities to drop marks. Newman or Marsh would seem to offer a lot more overall to the makeup of the team.
    Just as dumbfounded about Newman, what does he have to do? He seems to be playing forward when we need a better kick coming out of our defence - he kicks better, tackles better and is better in 1on1s than (my favourite whipping boy) Lloyd. Lloyd really needs to get away from our D50, such a liability.
    On a positive note, we finally have three talls in our backline. Hooray!
    "In some ways we?re less predictable to ourselves and sometimes that can be detrimental because we don?t really know where we?re going" - P.Roos

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy94 View Post
    So quick with the stones regardless of ones success.
    Jonesy, Jonesy, Jonesy.......a forum is a place of discussion and opinions that may not always align. Most of us love Horse, me included, and some like his coaching less now than we have in the past, at the moment me included. While I agree calls to sack him may be over the top, some of the criticisms of his current coaching on this forum are sound....our position on the ladder backs this up. It's not all Horse's fault of course, the players are not up to the contest atm it seems and the solution to it all is unclear. One thing that is clear however, is that in thirty odd posts you have proved yourself to be an agitator and even a troll and not a 'we're all on the same side' contributor to this site......we won't always agree, but it's nice to feel like we are all actually on the same side, which we are. Just chill a bit........

I was going to write a post a few hours ago expressing my happy surprise that the naming of Tippett and McVeigh in the NEAFL indicated a welcome change from Horse; giving players time in the NEAFL to find form and fitness.

Positives
    At least AA is in rather than Marsh. And 2 rucks means Reid won't have to ruck. Maybe Towers is a changed player.

?
    I'm torn over McVeigh. Not convinced he'll be an improvement on Newman, but similar skill set and will offer better leadership even if he hasn't played for 7 months.

I was hoping that the leaders who played last week might be able to lead without him

Disappointed in seeing Newman miss out again - but the side does look a bit more balanced than it has been.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I'd like to comment on one specific thing, and that is the reported lack of talking on the ground by the Swans players.
    This equates to lack of leadership as demonstrated when Mills felt he had to take control.
    Parker looks like he has been concentrating on his own form, and probably feels that he can't demand more from players when his form is down.
    Kennedy may well turn out to be a poor choice as captain.
    Great players aren't necessarily great leaders.
    It seems that he is a fairly quite "go about your business type"
    I try not to comment too much on selections for leadership etc as the club has to know what they are doing in selecting players.
    And I could be well wrong in implying this about about Kennedy - I hope I am.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I think McVeigh should come in.
    If he does, it is the club admitting that on field leadership is lacking, and bringing this in could mean the difference between continuing the form slump and breaking out of it.

But if he does play, then it's an indication that the coaching staff may be looking for quick answers to the issues, rather than looking at game plans etc and being more self critical.
    I agree. Junior does come across as fairly reserved, however, I don't see it as the captains sole responsibility to do all of the talking on the ground. Realistically, the captain is somewhat of a figurehead. On field leadership should come from most of the senior players. Buddy should be providing leadership in the forward line, Grundy and Smith in the backline, Jack, Junior, Parker and Hanners in the midfield. I don't think it's fair to blame Junior. He's been doing his job on the field, the others haven't.

Senior Player
    I was at the corresponding game in Brisbane last year which was notable for the debut of AA. He polled last in super coach points and had only 6 disposals I think but I could sense some huge upside. We need to take this onboard when posting demands for his return to the seniors . He is a novice in AFL terms and while he is an exciting potential ten year 200 game prospect he has a lot to learn at a senior level.
    They played in front of us all night and we couldn't get our hands on the ball from what I remember. It was a concern that we couldn't put them away and in hindsight possibly an insight into what has become our Achilles heel this year.

Regular in the Side
    I have no idea what the selectors have against Newman. Marsh also named in the 18 then dumped to emergency. BS article about not being able to name Tippett because he did not train then having named in the NEAFL as a replacement for Naismith if his miracle cure did not work. How was that going to work unless we pay the fine which a few years ago was I think $10k for playing someone not named on Thursday. Harley saying there was no need to panic but then this team selection shows all the hallmarks of panic. How is a 32 year old with no pre season at all going to match it in round 7. I don't mind the outs but McVeigh ahead of Newman and Marsh especially a fit Newman I do not understand unless he is carrying an injury but Newman and Marsh have both been named as emergencies. I am starting to think there may be some truth in the rumours post the GF and that we may have some prima donnas in the team. My prediction, at least one of McVeigh and Naismith finishes the match on the pine injured. The odds being put up by the bookies make betting on the Lions are far better proposition than the Swans.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    I have no idea what the selectors have against Newman. Marsh also named in the 18 then dumped to emergency. BS article about not being able to name Tippett because he did not train then having named in the NEAFL as a replacement for Naismith if his miracle cure did not work. How was that going to work unless we pay the fine which a few years ago was I think $10k for playing someone not named on Thursday. Harley saying there was no need to panic but then this team selection shows all the hallmarks of panic. How is a 32 year old with no pre season at all going to match it in round 7. I don't mind the outs but McVeigh ahead of Newman and Marsh especially a fit Newman I do not understand unless he is carrying an injury but Newman and Marsh have both been named as emergencies. I am starting to think there may be some truth in the rumours post the GF and that we may have some prima donnas in the team. My prediction, at least one of McVeigh and Naismith finishes the match on the pine injured. The odds being put up by the bookies make betting on the Lions are far better proposition than the Swans.
    McVeigh for all of his perceived faults provides direction which has been sorely missed this year.
    Good luck betting against the team you allegedly support but I think at least this week you will come up short.

Senior Player
    I reckon we've missed McVeigh - his talk, organisation and field kicking. He averaged 20 possessions and 3.5 tackles a game last year. At this point there is no point delaying; let's see what he still has.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I really have tried my best to find of list of experts in comedy.

I've searched the internet and even scrutinized a Norwegian website that listed experts in a wide variety of categories: Experts and expert lists - NTNU

To my dismay, my name didn't appear on any of their lists of experts in any category, although in fairness, there was no category for comedy. All was not lost, as I have discovered that Professor Alan Boobis is considered an expert in toxicology by the World Health Organization, so if the subject ever arises on this forum I will send him a draft of comments for his approval before posting it on RWO.

Thanks so much for you advice and putting me in my place. Much appreciated.
    For someone who apparently isn't funny you did a good job of amusing me.

Veterans List
    Suck on that Giants........Great win to the Saints!