Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 7 V Brisbane.

Another Giants loss due to grubby acts/suspensions .

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    McVeigh for all of his perceived faults provides direction which has been sorely missed this year.
    Good luck betting against the team you allegedly support but I think at least this week you will come up short.
    Look even I would have a bet against us at the moment. I picked against us in two matches this season. Should have done the same last week. Betting means you lose money if you lose and with our record, as bad as '93 so far, it's not looking particularly good. The other reason is our game plan has been exposed and I feel the players no longer believe in it. As for coaching, it is the role of the coaches to find out what is causing form slumps in players and correct it. If it is a niggle, put them out to pasture until right. If it is psychological, send them to the sports psychologist. If it is simply skill sets that are down, extra training usually fixes that. But in the end the head coach is the person responsible for the performance of the team. If he can't discover what is wrong then the probability is it is him that is the problem.

Great coaches motivate players. It doesn't take a great deal to motivate our experienced players and the young guys just want to play. So what has gone wrong? Horse 'This sort of performance is unacceptable'. 'We are simply not playing the Swans brand of footy', 'We were not hard enough at the ball'. Not once did he mention 'We got smashed at the stoppages and clearances', 'We simply couldn't bring the ball out of defence with any system at all', 'Our forward set up was devoid of any organisation at all', 'On reflection we should have played Darcy Cameron as the second ruck to allow Sam Reid to play forward', 'We made some mistakes in selection, like not playing an extra tall back'. Coaches that don't take responsibility for their actions and for bad form usually end up losing the confidence of the players and getting sacked. I'm not saying we are at that point yet but if Horse refuses to take responsibility, he needs to be told by someone at the club that nobody is indispensable and that the coaching staff need to own responsibility for the team's performance.

as for selection. newman should have stayed in, simple. he is one of the few players who can kick in our side and it would free Lloydy to the mids where his drive would be enormous. Smithy should have been dropped. One rule for the senior players and one for the younger guys John? Seems so to me!
    Last edited by wolftone57; 6th May 2017 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Look even I would have a bet against us at the moment. I picked against us in two matches this season. Should have done the same last week. Betting means you lose money if you lose and with our record, as bad as '93 so far, it's not looking particularly good. The other reason is our game plan has been exposed and I feel the players no longer believe in it. As for coaching, it is the role of the coaches to find out what is causing form slumps in players and correct it. If it is a niggle, put them out to pasture until right. If it is psychological, send them to the sports psychologist. If it is simply skill sets that are down, extra training usually fixes that. But in the end the head coach is the person responsible for the performance of the team. If he can't discover what is wrong then the probability is it is him that is the problem.

Great coaches motivate players. It doesn't take a great deal to motivate our experienced players and the young guys just want to play. So what has gone wrong? Horse 'This sort of performance is unacceptable'. 'We are simply not playing the Swans brand of footy', 'We were not hard enough at the ball'. Not once did he mention 'We got smashed at the stoppages and clearances', 'We simply couldn't bring the ball out of defence with any system at all', 'Our forward set up was devoid of any organisation at all', 'On reflection we should have played Darcy Cameron as the second ruck to allow Sam Reid to play forward', 'We made some mistakes in selection, like not playing an extra tall back'. Coaches that don't take responsibility for their actions and for bad form usually end up losing the confidence of the players and getting sacked. I'm not saying we are at that point yet but if Horse refuses to take responsibility, he needs to be told by someone at the club that nobody is indispensable and that the coaching staff need to own responsibility for the team's performance.

as for selection. newman should have stayed in, simple. he is one of the few players who can kick in our side and it would free Lloydy to the mids where his drive would be enormous. Smithy should have been dropped. One rule for the senior players and one for the younger guys John? Seems so to me!
    Yawn

100% correct Wolftone.

Can't understand how we are giving Towers another go. Similar to BJ and Rose, he might look good in the reserves but rarely translates it to the seniors. When Towers plays poorly in the seniors it really drags the rest of the team down. Not exactly what we need right now...I hope he plays well for his own sake because a poor game on Sunday will mean a long year and a half in the reserves playing out his Swans career.

For all the debate about McVeigh, I think he is mostly compared to the form and contribution of his younger days rather than a direct comparison to who he is replacing. In all likelihood he will rack up more possessions than the season average by our half backs this year. Add in his leadership, it's a straightforward decision in my mind.

I'm a little confused by the Newman out, primarily because he wasn't named as an out on Thursday. Must be a last minute change of mind at match committee.

Why arnt you coaching? From all your ramblings on here and on BF you could easily replace "John"

Maybe you could inspire the players with 5 paragraphs of ramblings?

The McVeigh selection reeks of desperation, and will be a huge mental lift for Brisbane.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Suck on that Giants........Great win to the Saints!
    Maybe not great for us though as the Saints are one of the teams that we play twice this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I really have tried my best to find of list of experts in comedy.

I've searched the internet and even scrutinized a Norwegian website that listed experts in a wide variety of categories: Experts and expert lists - NTNU

To my dismay, my name didn't appear on any of their lists of experts in any category, although in fairness, there was no category for comedy. All was not lost, as I have discovered that Professor Alan Boobis is considered an expert in toxicology by the World Health Organization, so if the subject ever arises on this forum I will send him a draft of comments for his approval before posting it on RWO.

Thanks so much for you advice and putting me in my place. Much appreciated.
    For guidelines on what is funny on the internet, have you tried the website of this group, Comedians Utilizing New Technology Systems? Apparently it's quite popular, with those who like to lecture others, on what is legitimate posting and what isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Maybe not great for us though as the Saints are one of the teams that we play twice this season.
    I think we will have huge trouble with the Saints this season (not that there isn't a team so far we aren't having huge trouble with). They have the game style that really will worry us imo.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

+1000

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I agree. Junior does come across as fairly reserved, however, I don't see it as the captains sole responsibility to do all of the talking on the ground. Realistically, the captain is somewhat of a figurehead. On field leadership should come from most of the senior players. Buddy should be providing leadership in the forward line, Grundy and Smith in the backline, Jack, Junior, Parker and Hanners in the midfield. I don't think it's fair to blame Junior. He's been doing his job on the field, the others haven't.
    Not blaming Kennedy, but a change in leadership is ONE of the variables that has resulted a GF team to be 0 and 6 and at the bottom of the ladder.
    Blaming the coaches doesn't hold up for me. The game doesn't evolve that fast that what we were doing last year is no longer valid.
    Personally I feel it is a bit of post GF complacency. I'm sure there were expectations that we'd end up in the 8 again this year, even when we started dropping games we should have won.
    After the 4th loss, panic would have started to set in, as well as lack of confidence.
    There is less to lose now. Given our draw, tomorrow's game really is make or break.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.