Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sledging

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

Sledging

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    What did Shaw say? I haven't watched the replay yet (may not). Was it mentioned on the commentary?
    Shaw sledge overshadows Giants' SCG breakthrough - AFL.com.au

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Nothing in that surely. They aren't out there talking about knitting

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    I think GWS are a disgusting team with Shaw being a disgrace. To call Papley what Shaw did shows what sort of person he is. Mummy sledged Buddy last year for his mental health issues and last night it was Shaw with his remarks. If that is how GWS have to get noticed in Sydney it is a low act. This is a bad look for the AFL up here.
    Heath using "retard" was disappointing, and he seems to genuinely regret it. From what I can gather he has always been a buffoon, but has also always been the first guy to put his hand up to be involved in any community engagement activities at both of his clubs and I imagine this betrays little more than a poor choice of words.

One thing we need to be mindful of if we're going to be pointing fingers at clubs is why he was so upset with Tom- Heath and Luke Parker were wrestling, and then Tom put Heath in a head lock to drag him off. That's completely out of line, and we would be livid if someone did it to one of our players.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

I was out of Australia the past 2 weeks, so missed the game and when i got back i was keen to find out what shaw had said. Rascism?. Homophobia?.. no he called someone a retard. Australia had the worst media over reaction in the world. PC gone made. It's like the north Korea situation. Why is that even news when it's 4000km away. There are 50 countries that are more in danger than us and yet if you read the Aussie newspapers nuclear war is moments away.

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I was out of Australia the past 2 weeks, so missed the game and when i got back i was keen to find out what shaw had said. Rascism?. Homophobia?.. no he called someone a retard. Australia had the worst media over reaction in the world. PC gone made. It's like the north Korea situation. Why is that even news when it's 4000km away. There are 50 countries that are more in danger than us and yet if you read the Aussie newspapers nuclear war is moments away.
    Oh Barry, do you really think it is ok to use that word or others like it? If you knew someone with a disability who has had to put up with those sort of things being yelled at them you may have a different idea. My son has grown up with that. I suppose you think he should toughen up. Language like that hurts just as much as racist or homophobic language hurts. As far as calling it PC gone mad, people with a disability often need others to stand up for them so I'm calling Heath Shaw out & you if you think it is ok.

I was out of Australia the past 2 weeks, so missed the game and when i got back i was keen to find out what shaw had said. Rascism?. Homophobia?.. no he called someone a retard. Australia had the worst media over reaction in the world. PC gone made.
    Try telling a parent of a child with a learning difficulty disability that it is "PC gone made" to object to the term "retard". I would hope you would rethink your opinion if you were confronted with the hurt such terms can cause.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Heath Shaw's apology was pretty classy, to be fair:

"I want to apologise for the insensitive comment I made to Tom Papley during last night's game," Shaw said.

"Yes I am a fiery person who plays with a lot of passion and emotion but that is no excuse for my actions last night.

"I apologise to Tom and anyone else who took offence to my comments, I deeply regret them.
    "There is no place for comments of that nature on or off the football ground. It was an offensive remark that I should never have made and for that I apologise."
    GWS's Heath Shaw apologises for 'insensitive' comments made to Sydney Swans' Tom Papley - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Try telling a parent of a child with a learning difficulty disability that it is "PC gone made" to object to the term "retard". I would hope you would rethink your opinion if you were confronted with the hurt such terms can cause.
    Try telling that to my son. He has multiple disabilities but would soon let you know that is not OK. Has copped it all his life at school.

I was commenting on the media overreaction, not whether the word was ok or not.

These days the media is mostly left leaning, often because the university academics brainwash them to think that way. It pushes their agenda and sells mouse clicks at the same time. Win/win for them.

Would it be offensive if someone called Toby Greene a retard?

Just asking.

If such a word would be offensive, what PC word would be appropriate?

Long Term Injury List
    I was commenting on the media overreaction, not whether the word was ok or not.
    You said it was PC gone mad. Your post suggested it was less than racism or homophobia. It's not and I for one am glad the press called it out. It may make some people engage their brains (and hearts) before their mouths. That's it from me on this topic. Back to the football.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast