Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gary Rohan

I am as happy as anyone he's ok, but where is Gary Rohan at.?
    He seems injury cursed and is a finals non performer. I'd say he's spent more time not playing than playing while on our list.

They seem to struggle with how to get the best out of Gaz.

Any thoughts on his best position?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    They seem to struggle with how to get the best out of Gaz.

Any thoughts on his best position?
    Not the first time that question's been asked!

My impression is that most people see him as a forward, and that's where I'd play him, anywhere around wing to pocket. He's also a very good mark when he's not in kamikaze mode, and not a bad kick for goal. Can also be a good defensive forward with his speed.

Others have seen him as a line-breaking back, and he can do a bit of that. He needs to see more of the ball but I think he doesn't naturally attract the ball in the way of, say, Lloyd or (in his own way) Papley.

And his injuries haven't helped decide where he'd fit best.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

On the Rookie List
    Pleased Gaz is ok. Probably should have this week off though.

As for his best position, I think he could be a very good full forward. He is a decent mark a good kick and would be impossible to stop on the lead. If only we could kick to leading forwards...
    On the other hand I quite like him on the wing being an outlet for defenders, some sort of outrider where he can get into one-on-ones and burn his opponent for pace.

Senior Player
    Long term I think he is a forward, but in the short term he needs to be tried at half back for his own sake, he just isn't going to get enough of the ball in his and the teams current form. Probably through the NEAFL for a start

Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    Pleased Gaz is ok. Probably should have this week off though.

As for his best position, I think he could be a very good full forward. He is a decent mark a good kick and would be impossible to stop on the lead. If only we could kick to leading forwards...
    On the other hand I quite like him on the wing being an outlet for defenders, some sort of outrider where he can get into one-on-ones and burn his opponent for pace.
    He doesnt have the strength to be a forward. Ever since Warren Ralph in the 1980's, Ive been convinced that fast lead out forwards are fine for VFL and lesser comps, but cant hack it in the AFL.

He's a classic wingman, but do wingmen even exist now days. I'm trying to think of a successful player of his type at other clubs and I cant at the moment.

Why can't Gaz play like Jayden Hunt of Melbourne, who is having a tremendous impact a a line breaking runner off half back?

That broken leg hampered his development by 2 years imo. If you look at him like that he's a 23 year medium forward who's played 81 games. That actually looks good. At the same point, 23 years old, everyone complained about Reid but he's now showing the signs of development for a forward you expect so a lot of people are starting to realise how important he is. I think you just have to be patient with Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    That broken leg hampered his development by 2 years imo. If you look at him like that he's a 23 year medium forward who's played 81 games. That actually looks good. At the same point, 23 years old, everyone complained about Reid but he's now showing the signs of development for a forward you expect so a lot of people are starting to realise how important he is. I think you just have to be patient with Gary.
    Its a fair point, and I agree about how much the leg injury has hampered his development.

But on the other side, since the 2014 Prelim thrashing of Norf, it is not easy to identify a game where Rohan has really had a standout performance and one says 'he was great' and clearly in our top few players. 2016 saw some improvement - with a couple of really good games in there, but there are far too many games where he is just too quiet imo.

He has lots of flashes of brilliance, but it doesn't translate too often into really good performances , let alone anything longer stretched then that.

Over his career, Rohan averages 10 disposals, 3 marks, 2.4 tackles, and just under 0.8 goals a match. His 2016 season was a little more productive, but only marginally - mainly through a better return goals wise (1.4 goals a match).

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/p...ns--gary-rohan

We need to be patient, but likewise I don't think we can wait forever either. He was after all taken as a #6 draft pick in 2009 - in front of (in what has proven to be only a 'meh' draft overall) players like Fyfe, Carlisle, Daniel Talia, Gawn. The comparison to Reid is an interesting one though, and a worthy comparison.

I am desperate to see Rohan become the player that he should be, but I do wonder if it will ever happen. I hope I am very wrong in that space.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Its a fair point, and I agree about how much the leg injury has hampered his development.

But on the other side, since the 2014 Prelim thrashing of Norf, it is not easy to identify a game where Rohan has really had a standout performance and one says 'he was great' and clearly in our top few players. 2016 saw some improvement - with a couple of really good games in there, but there are far too many games where he is just too quiet imo.

He has lots of flashes of brilliance, but it doesn't translate too often into really good performances , let alone anything longer stretched then that.

Over his career, Rohan averages 10 disposals, 3 marks, 2.4 tackles, and just under 0.8 goals a match. His 2016 season was a little more productive, but only marginally - mainly through a better return goals wise (1.4 goals a match).

We need to be patient, but likewise I don't think we can wait forever either. He was after all taken as a #6 draft pick in 2009 - in front of (in what has proven to be only a 'meh' draft overall) players like Fyfe, Carlisle, Daniel Talia, Gawn. The comparison to Reid is an interesting one though, and a worthy comparison.

I am desperate to see Rohan become the player that he should be, but I do wonder if it will ever happen. I hope I am very wrong in that space.

+1

Thank you for writing down my exact thoughts on Gary Rohan. That's twice today I've agreed with everything you've said in a post.

Veterans List
    I had to roll my eyes on the weekend at the reporting of Mitch Wallis comeback as if it was some miracle and that no one else had come back from a bad break before. Some people have short memories.

Really glad Rohan is going to be ok. It happened in front of where I was sitting and the frantic waving of the hands by the doctor made it look really scary. He was really pissed that the stretcher took so long to come out and that the game wasn't stopped. Surely even the emergency umpire could see what happened and signalled to the other umpires to stop play. I know what the rules state but surely some common sense can be used!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post

I agree that we can't wait forever. I always thought it would probably be next year as a break out season. I honestly don't believe he was ever going to be a high possession player. More a C.Rioli type explosive player with telling possessions. But I don't believe he'll ever reach the heights of Rioli. I think he is your perfect high half forward that could explode from a flank n deliver to a forward or move to deep forward n lead up. I just think the broken leg has really hampered his development. Fully agree those players were taken after Gary & are better players but you could say that about a fair few players from other clubs. Other supporters could say the same thing about Parker, Hannebery or Aliir with their club not taking one of them. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. You could look through every draft and say the same thing about every club. But I do agree that a club can only wait so long for player to reach their potential.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast