Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Father/Son Vs Academy Choices

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Of course - hence why the campaign around Nick Blakey is starting so early. I fully expect we are going to get bent over yet again by the VFL mafia on this one as well.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    What this showed is when it comes to the media what a lightweight King really is. Put in his place by Brown & Healy very quickly. But like I said before i think it's rediculous how biased some are towards their former club. If you want to be a mouthpiece for your club get out of the media and join the board. I must admit I liked hearing Brown last night who was to the point and gave his point of view from both sides of the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    It is an absolute nonsense however what King is suggesting - why should who you are born to (the bollocks 'romance' factor) rule over where/who has paid for your development.
    Totally agree with this. The 'romance' is a chance happening of male fecundity and genetics which should have nothing to do with the entitlements of the club for which the father played.

The AFL did away with the veterans allowance (which was an incentive based on the 'romance' of having one-club players). Time to forget F/S as well. An unpopular view I know.

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    King like Edie does not think that Victorian clubs have academies. They do its called the TAC Cup competition. Sure the players are not tied to clubs but they do get specialized training and exposure to the right way to go about being an AFL footballer and the Vic clubs don't have to pay anything for this not like the Northern clubs who foot most of their academy bills.
    And I am a Victorian
    They actually DO have academies:
    Victorian clubs handed AFL funding for academies - AFL.com.au

The difference is that the AFL funds theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post

Yes these are the Next Generation Academies (NGAs) Boddo talks about above.

I wait with interest for the debate once NGA priority picks start entering the draft from 2018. I suspect a few vocal opponents of the northern academies will change their position when their own clubs have a high potential NGA draftee available.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post

Yeh but you will not hear the Melbourne boys club talk about this. It's all made out like the NGA are just few multicultural lads trying their hand at a foreign game when really if you scratch the surface is so far from that it's not funny.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

I wait with interest for the debate once NGA priority picks start entering the draft from 2018. I suspect a few vocal opponents of the northern academies will change their position when their own clubs have a high potential NGA draftee available.
    Has anyone bothered to research exactly what is expected of the southern clubs with their NGAs? As we all know, the northern academies each provide training to around 500 boys each year, ranging in age from 11 to 19. Sure, an aim is to develop potential AFL level talent but those who do graduate are almost a by-product. Last year, when there was furore around some of the Giants' draft prospects, the AFL brought in rules that required clubs to demonstrate how much input they'd had into a player's development (like presenting their annual development programme to the AFL).

Will the NGAs operate the same way? Will they, too, provide additional development infrastructure to hundreds of boys who otherwise may not have participated? Or will they prove to just be a cherry-picking scheme, much the way as the NSW scholarship scheme operated?

One of the saddest bits of the snippet from OTC was when Brown observed how good the academies are for the game and King interrupted him to say that they aren't a positive for the AFL. This just goes to show that even someone like King, who gives an impression of being reasonably knowledgeable about the game, really has no idea about the development of players in the non-traditional states, or just refuses to acknowledge how far behind these states were before the academies were introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Has anyone bothered to research exactly what is expected of the southern clubs with their NGAs? As we all know, the northern academies each provide training to around 500 boys each year, ranging in age from 11 to 19. Sure, an aim is to develop potential AFL level talent but those who do graduate are almost a by-product. Last year, when there was furore around some of the Giants' draft prospects, the AFL brought in rules that required clubs to demonstrate how much input they'd had into a player's development (like presenting their annual development programme to the AFL).

Will the NGAs operate the same way? Will they, too, provide additional development infrastructure to hundreds of boys who otherwise may not have participated? Or will they prove to just be a cherry-picking scheme, much the way as the NSW scholarship scheme operated?

One of the saddest bits of the snippet from OTC was when Brown observed how good the academies are for the game and King interrupted him to say that they aren't a positive for the AFL. This just goes to show that even someone like King, who gives an impression of being reasonably knowledgeable about the game, really has no idea about the development of players in the non-traditional states, or just refuses to acknowledge how far behind these states were before the academies were introduced.
    Will operate exactly like the NA except eligibility.

North's Next Generation Academy - NMFC.com.au

Tasmania's future footballers put through paces at North Melbourne's Next Generation Academy - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

My son will be eligible when old enough for Freo's NGA. I have contacted them and everything except eligibility will be exactly like the NA's.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

That's why Norfs mouthpiece King is going now because once the media train starts on this n gets going it's going to hard to slow down n impossible to turn around. But you'll hear bugger all about Thomas next year from the Melbourne boys club. In regards to 2018 I have read that nightmare who writes for espn and is on BF has rated Ethan Penrith as 1st rounder for 2017 in his phantom draft and a poster asked if he eligible for Carlton like the NA this year as he is In their NGA with nightmare confirming that he is eligible just like the NA. Not much said about that either.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Will operate exactly like the NA except eligibility.

North's Next Generation Academy - NMFC.com.au

Tasmania's future footballers put through paces at North Melbourne's Next Generation Academy - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

My son will be eligible when old enough for Freo's NGA. I have contacted them and everything except eligibility will be exactly like the NA's.
    So they will be running programmes with several hundred boys, starting at age 11?

I don't have too much of an issue with an academy in Tasmania. It's not unlike the northern states, lacking the development pathways of Vic, SA and WA. I also support similar programmes in remote areas where there is limited infrastructure in place. I just don't understand how these interact in metropolitan areas where there are already well-trodden development paths, particularly after the removal from the Giants' zone of those areas already served by the TAC Cup system.

I am also a little uneasy about the idea of eligibility for a programme being based on someone's ethnic background.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    So they will be running programmes with several hundred boys, starting at age 11?

I don't have too much of an issue with an academy in Tasmania. It's not unlike the northern states, lacking the development pathways of Vic, SA and WA. I also support similar programmes in remote areas where there is limited infrastructure in place. I just don't understand how these interact in metropolitan areas where there are already well-trodden development paths, particularly after the removal from the Giants' zone of those areas already served by the TAC Cup system.

I am also a little uneasy about the idea of eligibility for a programme being based on someone's ethnic background.
    In tassie the pathways are its just all very unorganised. I have family down there playing in the TSL development league. Thomas would make it with or without an academy. Plus I have no idea why they allow indigenous players from a city in tassie but not say Perth or Adelaide or even say Bunbury in WA. It's typical Melbourne BS. The ethnic thing is a joke. My son is eligible for the freo academy when old enough because the wife was born outside Australia but she moved here when 16. I played footy, my uncle played state footy, my whole family played footy. It's just so contradicting when you compare it to what they took away from GWS. I don't think people realise Darling, Johannisen & SPS would have been eligible for the freo academy. If you look at the other academy thread I've layed it out all there.

Team List AFL changes academy rules and shafts Giants and Swans

The NGA's will be run exactly like the NA's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast