Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Father/Son Vs Academy Choices

I'll also add like I did in the other thread. I'm not against the NGA's I'm against the hypocritical lies that come out of Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    I'll also add like I did in the other thread. I'm not against the NGA's I'm against the hypocritical lies that come out of Melbourne.
    Why doesn't the AFL pay for all the academies?

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    They have provided seed funding for the NGA's just like they did with the NA's. It's just that northern clubs have gone out n found more money from sponsors to improve the quality of the product provided to families and young players. I actually don't have any issue with how they have seed funded it all. Well run clubs like WCE, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Freo, PA & Adelaide will increase spending which will allow for an even better program for these young kids. It's the poor clubs like norf n the bravedogs who will later complain that's it's all unfair because other clubs spend more and provide better opportunities to there zoned area n then they will try n drag the competition back to their low level pass mark. Just like what happens now with a lot of things. A lot of credit also needs to be given to Port because they have provided an indigenous program for a number of years already.

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    They do in a sense. 50% of club revenue comes from the AFL TV deals. It would be easy to simply describe a part of this as for development.

I was very disappointed by Kings position. I thought he was more of a visionary, but he is not.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    They do in a sense. 50% of club revenue comes from the AFL TV deals. It would be easy to simply describe a part of this as for development.

I was very disappointed by Kings position. I thought he was more of a visionary, but he is not.
    I honestly never once thought he was a visionary. He is a presenter now, never lasted in the coaching ranks. A true visionary would not survive in his type of environment as they would get identified early and weeded out. I honestly think it's a boys club with a few that sit on the edge but never go over. Brown did very well In this situation. He was very controlled and balanced it out but if he wanted to he could have totally embarrassed King.

The substance of the argument doesn't matter in the media. David King has managed to make himself the story. So he's succeeded in doing his job. Now other media outlets are writing stories about what King said, and other pundits are giving their opinions. It's not that much different to the Trump effect. Everyone is tuned in and waiting for his next idiotic remark. Ratings are shooting through the roof.

There are a lot of footy shows all pretty much talking about the same thing. They are all looking for a way to attract the most eyeballs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The substance of the argument doesn't matter in the media. David King has managed to make himself the story. So he's succeeded in doing his job. Now other media outlets are writing stories about what King said, and other pundits are giving their opinions. It's not that much different to the Trump effect. Everyone is tuned in and waiting for his next idiotic remark. Ratings are shooting through the roof.

There are a lot of footy shows all pretty much talking about the same thing. They are all looking for a way to attract the most eyeballs.
    Disagree. It's Put out there by King to get the ball rolling on Norf getting hold of Scott & Blakey. It's the start of a long long campaign that will stretch into next year and ramp up significantly at the beginning of next year. It's exactly the mo that Eddie used previously against the northern clubs. Start out with a few complaints then build it then the outrage. Everyone saw it with the Brisbane retention allowance, the northern academies, COLA n finally the changes to GWS academy earlier in the year.

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    Disagree. It's Put out there by King to get the ball rolling on Norf getting hold of Scott & Blakey. It's the start of a long long campaign that will stretch into next year and ramp up significantly at the beginning of next year. It's exactly the mo that Eddie used previously against the northern clubs. Start out with a few complaints then build it then the outrage. Everyone saw it with the Brisbane retention allowance, the northern academies, COLA n finally the changes to GWS academy earlier in the year.
    Yep. Your right. A few mummurs, a bit of a complaint, some howls, protests, demonstrations and finally revolution. We will be screwed some way as we are viewed as the "Bondi Billionaires" club.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

It's a fascinating scenario that Blakey has found himself embroiled in: eligible as a f/s and an academy player. Surely common sense would prevail and the decision would be his. Surely? Let's hope all the grubs in the media keep allow Blakey this perogative. But we know they won't.

David King can say all he wants. If I hear Papa John saying he wants his son to go to Norf, then I'd be worried.

It's always been up to the player as to where he wants to go. Nick has 4 choices, the Academy, NM, BL and the open draft. I can't see that changing.

Veterans List
    I honestly never once thought he was a visionary. He is a presenter now, never lasted in the coaching ranks. A true visionary would not survive in his type of environment as they would get identified early and weeded out. I honestly think it's a boys club with a few that sit on the edge but never go over. Brown did very well In this situation. He was very controlled and balanced it out but if he wanted to he could have totally embarrassed King.
    I heard that King didn't last in the coaching ranks because he had poor interpersonal relationship skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    David King can say all he wants. If I hear Papa John saying he wants his son to go to Norf, then I'd be worried.

It's always been up to the player as to where he wants to go. Nick has 4 choices, the Academy, NM, BL and the open draft. I can't see that changing.
    David King is setting the agenda on behalf of Norf n the others will start to chip in as the days n months go by. ATM he has four choices. It can change n change easily. Ask Brander & Spargo how nothing changes. And up until the GWS changes Spargo was this star in the making who'll go top 5. Then after the changes he's starting to slip down the draft. It's what the Melbourne clubs do well. They set the agenda in the media and then slowly build it up until you get "unless there is changes there's gona be dier consequences" "the fabric of the game will be destroyed" garbage n then the AFL take notice then the change happens. It happens and happens regularly like this. Sadly as much as we have a commission it's still run like the old VFL days of a committee of delegates n lobbying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I heard that King didn't last in the coaching ranks because he had poor interpersonal relationship skills.
    Absolutely useless assistant. Gets portrayed as this guru but it's as laughable as Terry Wallace the list manager. Interpersonal relationships lmao

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast