Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Father/Son Vs Academy Choices

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    David King is setting the agenda on behalf of Norf n the others will start to chip in as the days n months go by. ATM he has four choices. It can change n change easily. Ask Brander & Spargo how nothing changes. And up until the GWS changes Spargo was this star in the making who'll go top 5. Then after the changes he's starting to slip down the draft.
    I know we feel that a lot of things have not gone our way with AFL ruling, and I agree that especially with Mike Fitzpatrick and the influence of Eddie McGuire we got shafted on a few occasions in recent years. But to extrapolate this to a formal plot where ratings crazed commentators are setting the agenda for rule changes is getting a bit paranoid.

The GWS Riverina zone was taken from them with good cause. No one can argue that GWS were already strong enough and didn't need a zone that produced several top draft picks a year. I don't know how that effects how pundits rate Charlie Spargo. And how he is rated doesn't change where he will be picked in the draft. He hasn't slipped anywhere, only the perception of where he might go in the draft has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I know we feel that a lot of things have not gone our way with AFL ruling, and I agree that especially with Mike Fitzpatrick and the influence of Eddie McGuire we got shafted on a few occasions in recent years. But to extrapolate this to a formal plot where ratings crazed commentators are setting the agenda for rule changes is getting a bit paranoid.

The GWS Riverina zone was taken from them with good cause. No one can argue that GWS were already strong enough and didn't need a zone that produced several top draft picks a year. I don't know how that effects how pundits rate Charlie Spargo. And how he is rated doesn't change where he will be picked in the draft. He hasn't slipped anywhere, only the perception of where he might go in the draft has changed.
    I also think the current Div 2 championships may have a bearing. Spargo has been very good, but is small, and has not quite dominated to warrant such a high draft position.

Its also very possible Charlie is trying to position himself somewhere around the Bulldogs first pick.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    David King can say all he wants. If I hear Papa John saying he wants his son to go to Norf, then I'd be worried.

It's always been up to the player as to where he wants to go. Nick has 4 choices, the Academy, NM, BL and the open draft. I can't see that changing.
    Gee I am hoping Papa John said stay where you are and don't head down to Norf. Spoke to someone who is a good judge and told me that Nick is a real serious talent!!

In regards to Spargo most phantom drafts have moved him from a top pick to down the order. Before GWS had started their academy there it had produced nowhere near what it produced now. Those players weren't there until GWS started putting in a constructive pathway for the area. Now it's gone watch it go back to what it used to be apart from an indigenous or multicultural players as they have access now like the NGA academies. In regards to the AFL it's not just us in regards to agendas it's a lot of things. Dismantling of Brisbanes retention allowance, the equalisation committee which consisted of the 2 richest clubs from Melbourne n the token poor club, the setting up of NGA's in regards to who is eligible, the rediculous situation of the northern clubs not being able to take 2 players from their academy in the top 20 if finishing top four but not In regards to NGA's, just coincidentally no changes in regards to points bidding until after Collingwood got their F/S. All these things n more start through the media. Seriously you can't see that clubs set their campaigns through the media? You only have to listen to crap that spews from the Melbourne media to realise this. I lived there for a while n it's exactly what Melbourne clubs do.

I'll also add Norf have a massive amount to gain if changes happen. They could possibly gain Kelly through the trade then top end talent in next years draft in Nick Blakey, Joel Crocker, Tarryn Thomas & Baily Scott. The first 3 atm are rated possible top 10, it's hard to judge with Scott as I've not seen a lot of him. Of course they will push their agenda to the end they have a massive amount to gain. There's your rebuild in 2 years.

In regards to Spargo most phantom drafts have moved him from a top pick to down the order. Before GWS had started their academy there it had produced nowhere near what it produced now. Those players weren't there until GWS started putting in a constructive pathway for the area. Now it's gone watch it go back to what it used to be apart from an indigenous or multicultural players as they have access now like the NGA academies. In regards to the AFL it's not just us in regards to agendas it's a lot of things. Dismantling of Brisbanes retention allowance, the equalisation committee which consisted of the 2 richest clubs from Melbourne n the token poor club, the setting up of NGA's in regards to who is eligible, the rediculous situation of the northern clubs not being able to take 2 players from their academy in the top 20 if finishing top four but not In regards to NGA's, just coincidentally no changes in regards to points bidding until after Collingwood got their F/S. All these things n more start through the media. Seriously you can't see that clubs set their campaigns through the media? You only have to listen to crap that spews from the Melbourne media to realise this. I lived there for a while n it's exactly what Melbourne clubs do.
    Where are the phantom drafts?

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Where are the phantom drafts?
    ESPN, afl draft hub, BigFooty etc there are plenty around if you look.

I really like Charlie Spargo. I see him as a very quick and agile small defender that can stay with those dangerous small forwards like Betts and Rioli. On the rebound, he can really break the lines. I still think he's in top 10 consideration.

I really like Charlie Spargo. I see him as a very quick and agile small defender that can stay with those dangerous small forwards like Betts and Rioli. On the rebound, he can really break the lines. I still think he's in top 10 consideration.
    I wouldn't rate him that high but fully agree would be good running off half back. He's not top ten for me. I'd rate him late 1st early 2nd round pick. Pick 15/16 to 25ish. He'll struggle as a full time midfielder just because of his size but as hb/back pocket I could see him making it. put it this way Oli was taken at around pick ten n I'd taken Florent over Spargo every day of the week.

ESPN, afl draft hub, BigFooty etc there are plenty around if you look.
    Thanks Boddo. Quick rant from a dad of a swans academy kid: Those phantom drafts are too Melbourne centric. They don't take any real interest in the kids from the other states. For example you would have thought that the domination by the swans academy of the div 2 champs would be a major talking point for them, with interest in who the players are. I have seen every swans div 2 game and many of the players they keep going on about like Ballenden and spargo etc were beaten or matched by a bunch of unknown kids. If we are going to have a truly national comp these phantom draft guys need to do more than wander down the road to a TAC cup game. There endeth the rant!

I wouldn't rate him that high but fully agree would be good running off half back. He's not top ten for me. I'd rate him late 1st early 2nd round pick. Pick 15/16 to 25ish. He'll struggle as a full time midfielder just because of his size but as hb/back pocket I could see him making it. put it this way Oli was taken at around pick ten n I'd taken Florent over Spargo every day of the week.
    It's too early to say if someone like Spargo would come into our draft picture, 1st or 2nd round. I've been impressed by how well these small quick players have been going of late. Spargo is around Tom Papley size, but I think Spargo is more explosive and agile. I would love to get someone like a Tippungwuti, a small but quick and powerful player. Spargo may be smallish, but he certainly goes in hard.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast