Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 67

Thread: Father/Son Vs Academy Choices

  1. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Thanks Boddo. Quick rant from a dad of a swans academy kid: Those phantom drafts are too Melbourne centric. They don't take any real interest in the kids from the other states. For example you would have thought that the domination by the swans academy of the div 2 champs would be a major talking point for them, with interest in who the players are. I have seen every swans div 2 game and many of the players they keep going on about like Ballenden and spargo etc were beaten or matched by a bunch of unknown kids. If we are going to have a truly national comp these phantom draft guys need to do more than wander down the road to a TAC cup game. There endeth the rant!
    Agree but some points are good. Speaking of Ballender I think he's rated so highly because he has so much upside. I do rate him highly, top 10. I watch a lot of underage stuff. Unlimited broadband with a smart tv helps. I realised a long long time ago that's your clubs future. Buts like a lot of media. It's so Melbourne centric driven by the clubs. It was like Hayward, I rated him top 10 but was surprised when I watched him slip so far. I also rated Oli very highly so was very happy to get both.

  2. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    Agree but some points are good. Speaking of Ballender I think he's rated so highly because he has so much upside. I do rate him highly, top 10. I watch a lot of underage stuff. Unlimited broadband with a smart tv helps. I realised a long long time ago that's your clubs future. Buts like a lot of media. It's so Melbourne centric driven by the clubs. It was like Hayward, I rated him top 10 but was surprised when I watched him slip so far. I also rated Oli very highly so was very happy to get both.
    Boddo, where in your opinion would the under 18 div 2 championships rate relative to TAC or Sanfl under 18s? Better or worse? Different?

  3. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by WauchopeAnalyst View Post
    Yep. Your right. A few mummurs, a bit of a complaint, some howls, protests, demonstrations and finally revolution. We will be screwed some way as we are viewed as the "Bondi Billionaires" club.

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    At least we are on the bottom of the ladder this time around which should be more favourable for us. The AFL don't want us to succeed, but they also don't want us to flounder at the bottom of the ladder either. That's bad for the game (assuming they realise that).

  4. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    David King can say all he wants. If I hear Papa John saying he wants his son to go to Norf, then I'd be worried.

    It's always been up to the player as to where he wants to go. Nick has 4 choices, the Academy, NM, BL and the open draft. I can't see that changing.
    He has a choice but he really shouldn't be allowed to have a choice. The moment a kid selects to join an academy should be the moment he makes his decision. Why should a club spend money and time developing a player that isn't going to play for them?

  5. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Boddo, where in your opinion would the under 18 div 2 championships rate relative to TAC or Sanfl under 18s? Better or worse? Different?
    TAC then SANFL/div 2. Div 2 has top end talent but not the depth. You only have to look at the recent draft to see overall there a lot more talent in Victoria. What I've noticed is the developing states have a lot of top end talent with not as much depth. The SANFL can be very up n down from year to year. Tassie has virtually fallen off a cliff but having family down there tells me the talent is there but the organisational part of their pathway is very disjointed. They need the Mariners back imo. NSW has come along in leaps n bounds. Just very disappointing what they did with the GWS academy just when they has started to produce good talent.

  6. #54
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    5,399
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    He has a choice but he really shouldn't be allowed to have a choice. The moment a kid selects to join an academy should be the moment he makes his decision. Why should a club spend money and time developing a player that isn't going to play for them?
    I think it's much ado about nothing. I fully expect that Nick will choose to join the Swans. So what if some of the Melbourne media buffoons want to make it into a news story that is really not a story at all. I doubt Nick feels any connection to either NM or Brisbane.

  7. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think it's much ado about nothing. I fully expect that Nick will choose to join the Swans. So what if some of the Melbourne media buffoons want to make it into a news story that is really not a story at all. I doubt Nick feels any connection to either NM or Brisbane.
    I hope so. We are well overdue to benefit from the go home or stay home factor.

  8. #56
    Here are some highlights videos i have come across of some of Academy players in action on a YouTube page called AFL Draft Central. It's a great place for highlights on draft prospects!

    James Bell v NT (2017 Under 18 Academy Series) - YouTube

    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

  9. #57

  10. #58
    Jack Hardman v NT (2017 Under 18 Academy Series) - YouTube

    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

  11. #59
    Nick Blakey v NT (2017 Under 18 Academy Series) - YouTube

    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

  12. #60
    Seriously though, how exciting does young Nick Blakey look! He is still bottom age and already appears a class above the other young lads! And how good is it to see a young tall actually nail his set shots at goal!

    We really need to get this boy! Here's hoping he has a close relationship with some of his other talented team mates and we choose a couple next year to help sway him! 😆

    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO