Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 71

Thread: Xav Richards

  1. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Simple question ... is SU good for the SAFL competitions in it's current format?
    Yes.

    Imagine how boring this forum would be if the only thing we had to whinge about was St George's fly in fly out program and them complaining about everyone else to try to manage the competition down to a level where they can finally win one!!

    There is still a genuine problem to solve re Sydney Uni being able to use the NEAFL program as a lure to transfer players from other SAFL clubs to Sydney Uni at SAFL level, but fix that and I don't have a problem with it.

    Getting this fixed will actually help everyone in the long run, including Sydney Uni's NEAFL program.

    If clubs are less reluctant to promote the NEAFL program to their players for fear of them being converted to Sydney Uni players, like some have been in the past, then Sydney Uni are more likely to get the best kids in Sydney into the NEAFL squad. So they get a stronger squad and if the NEAFL squad has plenty of players from SAFL clubs, when those guys don't get a NEAFL game, they won't go back to Sydney Uni prems.

    So make it impossible for players going into the NEAFL program from other clubs to ever play for Sydney Uni at prem div level and then get the best young players in Sydney into the squad - problem solved. Then we'll have to find something else to whinge about.

  2. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber. View Post
    There is still a genuine problem to solve re Sydney Uni being able to use the NEAFL program as a lure to transfer players from other SAFL clubs to Sydney Uni at SAFL level, but fix that and I don't have a problem with it.

    Getting this fixed will actually help everyone in the long run, including Sydney Uni's NEAFL program.
    It's why Sydney Uni should have a core of NEAFL dedicated players, say 25, who cannot play below that level or are limited to a handful of games for fitness only and are ineligible for finals.

    The remaining topups from the local comp should come as evenly from the district clubs and the best way to do that is to cap the toppies per club so that Sydney Uni cannot stockpile

  3. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    I'd like to think that our seven teams, 250+ players and accessibility to everyone from first time players to former AFL players means that, yes, we probably are good for the SAFL competitions in our current format.
    You obviously misread the question.

    I didn't ask if the SAFL was good for SU.

    The current structure only serves to disrupt every SAFL comp from PD down, and is simply unfair.

  4. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    You obviously misread the question.

    I didn't ask if the SAFL was good for SU.

    The current structure only serves to disrupt every SAFL comp from PD down, and is simply unfair.
    Ha Ha, yes he has a bit of trouble getting his head around that concept.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Simple question ... is SU good for the SAFL competitions in it's current format?
    No, it's good for Sydney Uni but the overall impact on the local comp will in time be disastrous (not that Uni care about that).

  5. #53
    The question asked "is SU good for the SAFL competitions in it's current format?"

    I would've thought that competitions meant, you know, competitions. If I misunderstood then fair enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    You obviously misread the question.

    I didn't ask if the SAFL was good for SU.

    The current structure only serves to disrupt every SAFL comp from PD down, and is simply unfair.

  6. #54
    Well retired, still sore Pekay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    In The Goalsquare
    Posts
    2,015
    We've met the Students in finals in 2014 (Div 3) and 2016 (Div 5) and both sides were vastly different to the teams we'd met a few weeks before in regular season.
    Do they filter players back through the grades? Maybe. Looks as though they do by the different faces I'd stand on.
    Does it suck? Sure does. The team that obliterated us at Henson in 2014 could've competed at Div 1 level.
    Is it within the rules? Yep.

    If its there to exploit, they are within their rights to do it. We'd do it if we could. Really, has it translated into a cabinet full of trophies?

    I think UTS flat tracking Div 4 for the past 3 years is worse, but the league should've acted on it.

  7. #55
    I have no doubt that they would be doing everything within the terms of the rules that they helped design Pekay.

    It's not the point.

    This is ...

    Sydney University 23.22-160

    def.

    UTS Bats 10.12-72

    Seems that Xavier was too embarrassed to play this week (or maybe he had an overdue assignment he was working on!) ... UTS were probably lucky Tim Barrett was underdone and only kicked a lazy seven!

  8. #56
    Floored system

  9. #57
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bateau Bay
    Posts
    508
    All the reasons to play Richards last week in the SydneyAFL should have meant he played this week. Good decision it would seem not to. Richards probably wouldn't have sustained an injury last week kicking 13....other than leather poisoning.

  10. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Boy View Post
    All the reasons to play Richards last week in the SydneyAFL should have meant he played this week. Good decision it would seem not to. Richards probably wouldn't have sustained an injury last week kicking 13....other than leather poisoning.
    Perhaps our learned friend could shed some light on his non-selection...

    I'd be interested how many of their highly scholarshipped NEAFL players played in the UTS carve up today
    Last edited by Mug Punter; 7th May 2017 at 07:56 PM.

  11. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Perhaps our learned friend could shed some light on his non-selection...

    I'd be interested how many of their highly scholarshipped NEAFL players played in the UTS carve up today
    To be fair only Barrett would appear to have played this week

  12. #60
    Well retired, still sore Pekay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    In The Goalsquare
    Posts
    2,015
    Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    I have no doubt that they would be doing everything within the terms of the rules that they helped design Pekay.

    It's not the point.
    Bloody heartbreaking when you come up against completely different cattle.. at least UNSW in 09 and 12 stuck with the same squad

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO