Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Xav Richards

Xav Richards

I don't post here often these days and read even less due to the abuse I copped, some of which was partially warranted perhaps due to my lack of diplomacy.

Anyway, I see that Sydney Uni beat Manly 24.15.159 to 2.4.16, yes this is the Reserves team of NEAFL Sydney Uni versus the SFL team that went back to back senior flags in 2013 and 2014.

I then see that Xavier Richards who played in an AFL Grand Final last September, who would still be on an AFL List if not for his sheer stupidity, kicked 13 Goals, a figure I suspect he is mildly disappointed with given the gulf in class between him and his opponent.

How the F is this in the interests of the local game? All along we have been told by the likes of Student that the NEAFL squad is quarantined and that the talent bagging at the NEAFL level will not flow down with Sydney Uni following the usual modus operandi of destroying elite amateur competitions due to the resources they throw at free education (think Shute Shield)

If Xav can come down and play SFL, and from the result I am sure he wasn't the only NEAFL player going down that day, then every district club should just give up any notion of winning an SFL Flag. And I'm not sure what Xav or Sydney Uni got out of the exercise of humiliating the elite local competition in its show of power, just a king sized ego trip to show they can I suspect.

What is clear is that Sydney Uni cannot be trusted in any way shape of form to have any concept of the greater good of the game in Sydney, and if allowed they will allow the strength if their NEAFL team to flow down and kill the local game.

So, what will the NSWAFL do? Nothing is the answer but this is what should be done. And I am on the record that the Uni NEAFL programme is an important piece of the Sydney AFL puzzle but not when it destroys the local comp.

(1) Sydney Uni should announce an elite level 25 man NEAFL Squad at the beginning of each season. These players should be prevented from playing in any competition other than NEAFL. This alone would have prevented last weeks massacre.

(2) Sydney Uni will be allowed to draw on top ups for its NEAFL squad throughout the season as it feels necessary to a maximum of five players per club over the course of the season - e.g North Shore can have a maximum of five different players called up through the year to Sydney Uni in NEAFL but those five can play as many games each as their form permits. This will prevent Sydney Uni from simply hiding NEAFL players in the Div 1 squad and also builds a genuine pathway from the district clubs to the Sydney NEAFL program, which is important to the game locally. It also protects that local clubs from being destroyed via excessive topping up.

(3) Top up players may be upgraded to the Sydney Uni NEAFL elite squad at season end. If a player who has upgraded this way is subsequently delisted from the elite then he will not be permitted to be registered with Sydney Uni for the following season. Again this avoids Sydney Uni hiding NEAFL players in Div 1.

(4) If a top up player transfers to the Sydney Uni Div 1 programme then he shall not be eligible for NEAFL football the following season - same reason as (3)

(5) The NSWAFL shall retain a right of veto over any non NEAFL Sydney Uni registration if they believe that the player is of clear NEAFL standard - this would prevent a hypothetical situation of Xav being signed to a Div 1 registration and then called on as a top up

I am sure that the usual suspects will come out and abuse me for this post but have a think about what has just happened and try and tell me it is good for the game. And try and tell me why my simple restrictions wouldn't protect the local game whilst still allowing Sydney Uni to follow its programme
    Last edited by Mug Punter; 2nd May 2017 at 04:00 PM.

When you consider, kids in academy, NDS players and Syd Uni NEAFL back to their home club players, (by this I mean with the new rules when a player is selected in Uni NEAFL squad they can nominate their home club to return to when not selected, in some cases it will be Uni in other cases it will be other SFL clubs, e.g. Michael Manteit at Nth Shore), a lot of clubs in Sydney will have any number of NEAFL players playing for them.

So as best as I can work out are the issues with the result against Manly is some or all of the below:

There were too many NEAFL players in Uni's prems team, ( I don't know how many played but how many is too many). In juniors the clubs are only allowed to have 7 academy kids registered per age group.

X. Richards was an AFL player last year, (if that is a problem, how many years must a player be off an AFL list before he is "allowed" to play in the SFL)

Manly weren't that good on the day (no offence Manly) and Xavier kicked 13, (so can you only play NEAFL players against "good" teams, {define good} and/or {NEAFL players aren't allowed to kick goals}

All clubs should support their players playing at the highest level and that is generally NEAFL:
    That means we are always going to have NEAFL players playing Prems across a number of clubs.

We should welcome any ex AFL listed player playing in the SFL (and NEAFL of that matter).

We are always going to have lopsided results from week to week.

So the answer appears to be place a limit on how many NEAFL players can play in any SFL club (not just Uni) on any given day.

How many ? That is the question.

Maybe something like if they are recruited to play NEAFL they cant play prems. That said, The Student will find a way to get around that as been shown by buying players from interstate, giving them scholarships and saying "they go to our uni they can play in our prems".

The problem with it all is clubs go hundreds of thousands into debt, win a flag then "rebuild". There is no reward for good governance. ECE are 400k in the hole and are still paying players @@@@ loads.

You cant blaim clubs for paying players if they have money, but whos the next Campbelltown and Balmain? How many clubs have to @@@@ themselves up before the league says no more.

Everyone should just go borrow 400k from a bank, recruit some exafl guns and ask Sydney AFL to bail them out after like they have done in the past.

Regular in the Side
    Who is currently topping up the Swans and Giants NEAFL teams? Haven't they always required top ups when injuries hit their AFL team? Why couldn't Sydney Uni nominate their 30 players at the start of the year. If any can't get a start they top up the Swans or Giants NEAFL? Any players otherside this 30 would be unlikely to be a genuine NEAFL player and can thus join the SU Prem div team but still be eligible to play NEAFL if required.
    Before anyone says it would be ridiculous for a club to offer players to the opposition, it can't be any worse than what we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Maybe something like if they are recruited to play NEAFL they cant play prems. That said, The Student will find a way to get around that as been shown by buying players from interstate, giving them scholarships and saying "they go to our uni they can play in our prems".

The problem with it all is clubs go hundreds of thousands into debt, win a flag then "rebuild". There is no reward for good governance. ECE are 400k in the hole and are still paying players @@@@ loads.

You cant blaim clubs for paying players if they have money, but whos the next Campbelltown and Balmain? How many clubs have to @@@@ themselves up before the league says no more.

Everyone should just go borrow 400k from a bank, recruit some exafl guns and ask Sydney AFL to bail them out after like they have done in the past.
    It's simple, Sydney Uni should be able to run a highly professional and highly funded semi-professional AFL program.

It should not allow a flow on benefit doen the line that allows a complete distortion and destruction of the local comp.

A simple way to do this is to have their elite NEAFL squad quarantined with a top up system that has safeguards to prevent Sydney Uni from getting around the spirit of the rules.

Clearly this isn't happening.

And finally, I don't think there is anything good about seeing Xav at SFL, as a Swans fan it actually saddens me and I am sure he didn't sign up at Sydney Uni to play at Weldon Oval against someone not fit to wipe his boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I don't post here often these days and read even less due to the abuse I copped, some of which was partially warranted perhaps due to my lack of diplomacy.

Anyway, I see that Sydney Uni beat Manly 24.15.159 to 2.4.16, yes this is the Reserves team of NEAFL Sydney Uni versus the SFL team that went back to back senior flags in 2013 and 2014.

I then see that Xavier Richards who played in an AFL Grand Final last September, who would still be on an AFL List if not for his sheer stupidity, kicked 13 Goals, a figure I suspect he is mildly disappointed with given the gulf in class between him and his opponent.

How the F is this in the interests of the local game? All along we have been told by the likes of Student that the NEAFL squad is quarantined and that the talent bagging at the NEAFL level will not flow down with Sydney Uni following the usual modus operandi of destroying elite amateur competitions due to the resources they throw at free education (think Shute Shield)

If Xav can come down and play SFL, and from the result I am sure he wasn't the only NEAFL player going down that day, then every district club should just give up any notion of winning an SFL Flag. And I'm not sure what Xav or Sydney Uni got out of the exercise of humiliating the elite local competition in its show of power, just a king sized ego trip to show they can I suspect.

What is clear is that Sydney Uni cannot be trusted in any way shape of form to have any concept of the greater good of the game in Sydney, and if allowed they will allow the strength if their NEAFL team to flow down and kill the local game.

So, what will the NSWAFL do? Nothing is the answer but this is what should be done. And I am on the record that the Uni NEAFL programme is an important piece of the Sydney AFL puzzle but not when it destroys the local comp.

(1) Sydney Uni should announce an elite level 25 man NEAFL Squad at the beginning of each season. These players should be prevented from playing in any competition other than NEAFL. This alone would have prevented last weeks massacre.

(2) Sydney Uni will be allowed to draw on top ups for its NEAFL squad throughout the season as it feels necessary to a maximum of five players per club over the course of the season - e.g North Shore can have a maximum of five different players called up through the year to Sydney Uni in NEAFL but those five can play as many games each as their form permits. This will prevent Sydney Uni from simply hiding NEAFL players in the Div 1 squad and also builds a genuine pathway from the district clubs to the Sydney NEAFL program, which is important to the game locally. It also protects that local clubs from being destroyed via excessive topping up.

(3) Top up players may be upgraded to the Sydney Uni NEAFL elite squad at season end. If a player who has upgraded this way is subsequently delisted from the elite then he will not be permitted to be registered with Sydney Uni for the following season. Again this avoids Sydney Uni hiding NEAFL players in Div 1.

(4) If a top up player transfers to the Sydney Uni Div 1 programme then he shall not be eligible for NEAFL football the following season - same reason as (3)

(5) The NSWAFL shall retain a right of veto over any non NEAFL Sydney Uni registration if they believe that the player is of clear NEAFL standard - this would prevent a hypothetical situation of Xav being signed to a Div 1 registration and then called on as a top up

I am sure that the usual suspects will come out and abuse me for this post but have a think about what has just happened and try and tell me it is good for the game. And try and tell me why my simple restrictions wouldn't protect the local game whilst still allowing Sydney Uni to follow its programme
    Mug I think you should call on your direct line to Henny and Penny as the sky may well fall in this time. While you are at it call the SU NEAFL coach and provide him with your selection advice, I'm sure he will be as interested as Horse is with your advice. What a load of hysterical fake news. To kick 13 when deep forward even on a tiny ground you have to have a lot of looks at the footy dude - you should check the list as after half time, Nat Fyfe and Danger must have both come on based on your analysis, OR perhaps there are some more plausible football type explanations for the scoreline after half time. I thought Norris provided a decent summary you should read it.

Don't Dude me.....

Anyway, so you have no issue with the Sydney Uni $400,000 a year NEAFL Squad being deployed against Div 1 sides? And if you don't what club are you affiliated with?

I don't care what Norris' summary is, the proof is staring us in the face with what happened on the weekend.

Don't Dude me.....

Anyway, so you have no issue with the Sydney Uni $400,000 a year NEAFL Squad being deployed against Div 1 sides? And if you don't what club are you affiliated with?

I don't care what Norris' summary is, the proof is staring us in the face with what happened on the weekend.
    Sorry Mug I will be my formal. I don't have an issue with X Richards or any others playing for SU and other clubs if they are deemed not good enough for selection at NEAFL level as it means they were deemed not good enough so should play the next available level not play tiddly-winks or something instead, or move to Melbourne, same with all of the higher pathway players/rep etc players that filter through and always will (and do in comps all over the country) to an extent. I would like to see as many higher standard players in Sydney AFL as possible, more and more kids staying in Sydney rather than going interstate and I would like to see NEAFL become a thing of the past personally FYI. If Pennant Hills, St George, SU, Nth Shore or whoever have more of the talented players in their club in one year or the other (ECE with 4 out of 7 flags seems to be the real operator in town.....) good luck to them, you still need a good run with injuries, good coaching and a load of luck to win anything. I know its only round 4 and you've probably done loads of research to come up with your conclusions and proposals being the massive NEAFL fan you are but I just wonder if the issue is a bit broader than you emotionally suggest. I think in true form you're coming on a bit strong. I just had a dig around and it seems SU have hardly been a powerhouse of Sydney AFL since their NEAFL experiment so maybe the NEAFL comp has actually held them back NEAFL wise as I assume they put their resources and focus into that. They haven't won a SAFL flag since 1992 I see. Manly itself has won two flags already since they've been up and no doubt gave SU a few hidings in the process.

Maybe the AFL should apply a points system as many other community leagues do. So the higher level the player has played the higher their points value, unless they are a local junior returning to their original club. So any weekend a team can only have a maximum number of points represent their tea. That prevents any club including a large number of non-local players that have played at an extremely high level bring in the one team. And it encourages all clubs to focus on their local juniors which is surely more beneficial to AFL in Sydney than clubs just recruiting and playing players from Canberra or wherever. It would mean a more even competition too which is another benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A lot of this has some merit, not a overnight fix though and one the league no doubt will need to take some leadership on.

Warming the Bench
    bring back the draft system....if that was in place Richards Murphy Lucy Irving all would not have played on the weekend....and that would have made quite a difference

Andrew1 isn't the point system applied in Canberra and most nsw and vic country comps this season? Don't understand why it wouldn't be applied here in Sydney. Maybe those self righteous academics at Syd Uni told the afl not to apply it as they would have upwards of 15+ neafl players available to Sydney prems club on a week to week basis.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast