Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Xav Richards

Gee there's a lot of misinformation running around on this thread... to set the record straight on a few things:

i) Every SU NEAFL player can play wherever they want if not selected for PD. It is a farce to suggest that SU are hoarding players when they can select their PD side of choice, as Manteit and Fyffe have done with North Shore, as Law has done with UTS, etc. This should really be the BIGGEST focus of this entire discussion - if you want NEAFL footballers coming back to your club, what are you doing to facilitate this? If you asked each of the NEAFL-listed players who has played PD why they chose SU, the responses would be based around the difference in culture and coaching this year in PD. Sure, a few would be because they're not currently aligned with another PD club and it's easier this way, but if this is the case then why don't you stop yelling at clouds and start doing something about it gents? All SU is doing is playing by the rules the AFL has handed down, don't shoot the messenger.

ii) Is the aim of the Premier Division to create a competition that AFL-quality footballers can come out of, and as a transition point to NEAFL/VFL/SANFL/WAFL in the interim? If so, then every footballer in the competition improves through the process of playing against quality opposition. If the point is to only exchange flags between St George, Penno, Wests, North Shore and Manly for the next 100 years so draconian sectors of this forum can have a good old circle-jerk, then all your points on SU are valid.

iii) The X Richards butt-hurt aside, Sydney AFL is better for having ex-AFL players come through the competition. Nick Salter at Wests has been great for them this year, and watching the Wests-Eagles game on the weekend seems to be enjoying himself at the Magpies while lifting the quality of the players around him. Is the issue simply that Xavier is a recent AFL delisting? Because if so, that makes less than zero sense - see point ii. The more regular it becomes seeing ex-AFL players in Sydney AFL PD, the easier it will be for all clubs to attract top-level talent.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
    Gee there's a lot of misinformation running around on this thread... to set the record straight on a few things:

i) Every SU NEAFL player can play wherever they want if not selected for PD. It is a farce to suggest that SU are hoarding players when they can select their PD side of choice, as Manteit and Fyffe have done with North Shore, as Law has done with UTS, etc. This should really be the BIGGEST focus of this entire discussion - if you want NEAFL footballers coming back to your club, what are you doing to facilitate this? If you asked each of the NEAFL-listed players who has played PD why they chose SU, the responses would be based around the difference in culture and coaching this year in PD. Sure, a few would be because they're not currently aligned with another PD club and it's easier this way, but if this is the case then why don't you stop yelling at clouds and start doing something about it gents? All SU is doing is playing by the rules the AFL has handed down, don't shoot the messenger.
    Wait your not serious are you? "Hey Austin Lucy, I know Sydney Uni bought your from interstate and gifted you a scholarship, but come play for our prems for free instead of theirs"

Regular in the Side
    ThePunter, the issue as I see it is that SU are receiving a grant/assistance from the AFL to enter a NEAFL team. This assistance is inadvertently helping SU play a better team in the SydneyAFL. No other club in the SydneyAFL gets a cent from the AFL. Can you see that this isn't fair? If SU did everything off their own bat like ECE once did(until recently), then no one would have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Wait your not serious are you? "Hey Austin Lucy, I know Sydney Uni bought your from interstate and gifted you a scholarship, but come play for our prems for free instead of theirs"
    Yep this Geezer from Uni is deluded as [email protected] course the highly paid NEAFL squad players will go there and of course there will be huge pressure for the top ups to play footy at Uni

http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=36135888

All in black and white I'm afraid.

Points 6.18 and 6.19 on page 22 spells it out.

NEAFL Listed Players (Sydney University and Swans) (Added 01/02/2017)

6.18 When the Sydney University NEAFL team is competing in a finals round on the same weekend as the players aligned AFL Sydney Premier Division finals match, if not selected in the NEAFL team, the player will be eligible to play in the AFL Sydney Premier Division match irrespective of qualification. When the Swans NEAFL team is competing in a finals round on the same weekend as a players aligned AFL Sydney Premier Division finals match, if not selected in the NEAFL team, NEAFL Development Squad (NDS) players will be eligible to play in the AFL Sydney Premier Division match irrespective of qualification.

6.19 Subject to By-law 6.18, any player, who is a listed Sydney University NEAFL player (primary or rookie list), must have played a minimum of six (6) home and away games in the current season for his AFL Sydney aligned club to be eligible to compete in the AFL Sydney Premier Division finals. NDS players must have played a minimum of three (3) home and away games in the current season for his AFL Sydney aligned club to be eligible to compete in the AFL Sydney Premier Division finals.

There's basically no quarantining of the NEAFL Squad now. They really only have the same restrictions in finals as Prem Div and Div 1 and lower divisions. And if the NEAFL Squad is playing then there is no restriction.

During the season they can drop down as many NEAFL players when and as they like.

This whole thing stinks. For years we've had muppets like The Student coming on here saying that the NEAFL squad is a separate quarantined entity and that the flow on effects of the Uni NEAFL professional program will have no flow on effect on the district clubs who run on an oily rag.

Well, that clearly is BS now and we'll see the effects this year as each week we get to see their highly paid scholarship holders plying their trade in Prem Div and the incentive for kids to move to Sydney Uni will now become even greater. And as the kids fall down the pecking order they simply strengthen their Prem Div side.

No incentive of benefit to the rest of the comp, and all about Sydney Uni and their interests.

And interesting this has come into effect on Feb 1 this year. They have accepted the restrictions for the initial years and bided their time, they've waited until ECE are off the scene and I have no doubt they pulled a thinly veiled ultimatum to the NSWAFL that they drop all restrictions or the commitment to Sydney Uni's investment in AFL will be reviewed.

Good for Sydney Uni, Bad for Sydney Football.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Boy View Post
    ThePunter, the issue as I see it is that SU are receiving a grant/assistance from the AFL to enter a NEAFL team. This assistance is inadvertently helping SU play a better team in the SydneyAFL. No other club in the SydneyAFL gets a cent from the AFL. Can you see that this isn't fair? If SU did everything off their own bat like ECE once did(until recently), then no one would have a problem.
    Of course he doesn't.

And it's not inadvertent, it's a direct result from the NEAFL Programme. Sydney Uni have, I would suggest, 30 players on their list they would not have without the NEAFL and the money they are throwing at them. And I bet they are pulling all kinds of tricks to get the best young kids in Sydney to see them as a destination club.

Welcome to the Sydney Uni sporting model, have a chat to anyone in club rugby in Sydney and they'll tell you how they have buggered up that comp with their greed and ruthless ambition

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, that's it for me in here, the local comp is now officially rooted as far as I am concerned

I'm a muppet? Ha ha you're the one who comes on here and spews absolute nonsense and has ZERO credibility or knowledge of what goes on at any club let alone Uni. Your reference to $400k teams and $20k scholarships proves unequivocally that you have no idea. Feel free to challenge me on this if you like, I'm sure the people you speak to while lurking around Picken Oval or wherever it is that you watch football are far more closely connected to Uni than I could ever hope to be.

When have I ever said that the squad is quarantined? We currently have about 25 of 47 eligible for Prem Div, not too dissimilar to last year. One rule has changed - we are now able to select players originally from interstate in return for allowing scholarship players to play for their home club. How many in the team from last weekend were in the side because of this rule? One. Jarrod Irving.

Your assertion that we have played a long con on the AFL by getting flogged every other week for six years is so ridiculous that it doesn't even warrant a response. But if you'd like to get in touch with the President or Chairman, or alternatively anyone at the Sydney AFL with that ridiculous accusation you'd be treated with the contempt you deserve.

To be honest you'd be better off staying out of any conversations regarding Uni or NEAFL because what you actually know about how it works could be written on the head of a matchstick. You are just making yourself look like a dill. Or should I say, more of a dill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Yep this Geezer from Uni is deluded as [email protected] course the highly paid NEAFL squad players will go there and of course there will be huge pressure for the top ups to play footy at Uni

http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=36135888

All in black and white I'm afraid.

Points 6.18 and 6.19 on page 22 spells it out.

NEAFL Listed Players (Sydney University and Swans) (Added 01/02/2017)

6.18 When the Sydney University NEAFL team is competing in a finals round on the same weekend as the players aligned AFL Sydney Premier Division finals match, if not selected in the NEAFL team, the player will be eligible to play in the AFL Sydney Premier Division match irrespective of qualification. When the Swans NEAFL team is competing in a finals round on the same weekend as a players aligned AFL Sydney Premier Division finals match, if not selected in the NEAFL team, NEAFL Development Squad (NDS) players will be eligible to play in the AFL Sydney Premier Division match irrespective of qualification.

6.19 Subject to By-law 6.18, any player, who is a listed Sydney University NEAFL player (primary or rookie list), must have played a minimum of six (6) home and away games in the current season for his AFL Sydney aligned club to be eligible to compete in the AFL Sydney Premier Division finals. NDS players must have played a minimum of three (3) home and away games in the current season for his AFL Sydney aligned club to be eligible to compete in the AFL Sydney Premier Division finals.

There's basically no quarantining of the NEAFL Squad now. They really only have the same restrictions in finals as Prem Div and Div 1 and lower divisions. And if the NEAFL Squad is playing then there is no restriction.

During the season they can drop down as many NEAFL players when and as they like.

This whole thing stinks. For years we've had muppets like The Student coming on here saying that the NEAFL squad is a separate quarantined entity and that the flow on effects of the Uni NEAFL professional program will have no flow on effect on the district clubs who run on an oily rag.

Well, that clearly is BS now and we'll see the effects this year as each week we get to see their highly paid scholarship holders plying their trade in Prem Div and the incentive for kids to move to Sydney Uni will now become even greater. And as the kids fall down the pecking order they simply strengthen their Prem Div side.

No incentive of benefit to the rest of the comp, and all about Sydney Uni and their interests.

And interesting this has come into effect on Feb 1 this year. They have accepted the restrictions for the initial years and bided their time, they've waited until ECE are off the scene and I have no doubt they pulled a thinly veiled ultimatum to the NSWAFL that they drop all restrictions or the commitment to Sydney Uni's investment in AFL will be reviewed.

Good for Sydney Uni, Bad for Sydney Football.
    Last edited by The Student; 5th May 2017 at 12:10 AM.

You have no idea do you? Austin came down for work - on what planet would we able to attract a player from interstate? You might find this hard to believe but young people do tend to follow their careers to Sydney. And the fact that you keep suggesting that Austin wasn't able to get into a Masters course without the football club borders on slanderous. You don't know the first thing about the bloke. What a pathetic thing to say. It's really no surprise that he chose to play for us instead of a club that has people like you involved in it.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post

Simple question ... is SU good for the SAFL competitions in it's current format?

I'd like to think that our seven teams, 250+ players and accessibility to everyone from first time players to former AFL players means that, yes, we probably are good for the SAFL competitions in our current format.

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Simple question ... is SU good for the SAFL competitions in it's current format?

No

Warming the Bench
    No

No

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast