Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Changes for R8 v North

Quote Originally Posted by Simo View Post
    Hopefully tipper just plants in goal square and plays as a forward. That way 4 kicks - 4 goals is a good return. One out he's a beast....in the air.
    Hewitt I agree himand Cunningham are my worry. Hewitt plays better as a fwd , Ritchie got lucky last week with 2 goals.Newman has to play and kick out. No more sideways . Long and running please.
    Harsh on Cunningham. If he was lucky it was because he ran hard all day. I don't know whether you were at the game, but you would have seen on screen his three big runs down the wing (none of which he finished off as well as we might have hoped); what you wouldn't have seen was that he spread wide, quickly, all day to make that link option, which was not always taken up (partly because Zac Jones had set himself up well to run through the corridor from half-back). I don't want to buy into the 'Cunningham is soft' argument (looking at you Nico), but I don't mind his game and his contribution of perceived pressure in the attacking pockets. Doesn't always nail the tackle, but corrals and closes down options.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    I for one find Rohan to be an enormously frustrating player, a bit like Jetta. Clearly he has buckets of potential and looks like the kind of player who could be one of the greats of the game. But he never seems to put it together. He goes missing in too many games, and hasn't had too many (if any) standout games where he was best on ground, let alone a standout year like like Jetta's 2012.
    Was it the prelim final against North at Homebush in 2014 that Rohan played what (I think) Duck referred to as one of the best games off half-back that he'd ever seen? True that he has rarely produced a game like that. However, I don't think that the raw stats capture his ability to produce perceived pressure, and he adds an X Factor. He has to play between the 50s, though, not as a leading forward.
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 12th May 2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Mod: fixed quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    I for one find Rohan to be an enormously frustrating player, a bit like Jetta. Clearly he has buckets of potential and looks like the kind of player who could be one of the greats of the game. But he never seems to put it together. He goes missing in too many games, and hasn't had too many (if any) standout games where he was best on ground, let alone a standout year like like Jetta's 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Was it the prelim final against North at Homebush in 2014 that Rohan played what (I think) Duck referred to as one of the best games off half-back that he'd ever seen? True that he has rarely produced a game like that. However, I don't think that the raw stats capture his ability to produce perceived pressure, and he adds an X Factor. He has to play between the 50s, though, not as a leading forward.
    I agree he needs to get out of the forward line. I thought he only went there as a transition as he overcame his broken leg. He seems to have been stayed there and hes neither strong enough in the air, or strong enough on the ground to be a good forward. Flooding has effectively killed the quick, light leading forward position.
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 12th May 2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Mod: fixed quote tags

Absolutely he did - was superb that night. But his performances at that level are so few and far between. I've talked about it before on here - as much as I enjoy watching him at his best, when you consider where he was taken in the draft, we are not getting anywhere near the return we would have hoped for with him. The injuries have played a huge part in that, but he isn't a spring chicken anymore either - we need him to consistently take the next step up and start delivering on his talent, week in, week out.

I know most would howl down the suggestion, but if I was list manager (good job I'm not!), I'd be sorely tempted to trade him if a decent offer came in from someone such as Geelong.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Absolutely he did - was superb that night. But his performances at that level are so few and far between. I've talked about it before on here - as much as I enjoy watching him at his best, when you consider where he was taken in the draft, we are not getting anywhere near the return we would have hoped for with him. The injuries have played a huge part in that, but he isn't a spring chicken anymore either - we need him to consistently take the next step up and start delivering on his talent, week in, week out.

I know most would howl down the suggestion, but if I was list manager (good job I'm not!), I'd be sorely tempted to trade him if a decent offer came in from someone such as Geelong.
    I agree, sadly. It was the same draft as Jetta wasn't it? Two blokes with wheels. I sincerely hope that he gets a good few games under his belt over the next few weeks playing on a wing and we get a chance to see what he can do. As you say, he can't much longer get by on unrealised potential. Maybe Cats would be a good option for him.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Harsh on Cunningham. If he was lucky it was because he ran hard all day. I don't know whether you were at the game, but you would have seen on screen his three big runs down the wing (none of which he finished off as well as we might have hoped); what you wouldn't have seen was that he spread wide, quickly, all day to make that link option, which was not always taken up (partly because Zac Jones had set himself up well to run through the corridor from half-back). I don't want to buy into the 'Cunningham is soft' argument (looking at you Nico), but I don't mind his game and his contribution of perceived pressure in the attacking pockets. Doesn't always nail the tackle, but corrals and closes down options.
    agreed. And the hard running to space on the wing is what opens up the corridor. We didn't have that vs gws which is why we couldn't switch and looked tentative with the ball.

Rohan is more than a year younger than Dean Towers. Who should we give more time to prove themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Rohan is more than a year younger than Dean Towers. Who should we give more time to prove themselves?
    Towers has delivered more.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Bench Florent Hayward Marsh Sinclair
    Emg Tippett Rohan Newman

Unchanged

Since Tippett and Rohan need to get game time under their belts, you would assume Newman is the traveling emergency.
    Last edited by ugg; 12th May 2017 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post

Yep, I'd trade him. 1 really good game in more than 80 doesn't cut it. Nor does flashes of brilliance.

Like Reid, he's a tease.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Emg Tippett Rohan Newman

Unchanged

Since Tippett and Rohan need to get game time under their belts, you would assume Newman is the traveling emergency.
    That makes total sense. How many emergencies do they normally take?

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Emg Tippett Rohan Newman

Unchanged

Spot on Ugg. According to Swans site;

"Gary and Kurt will play in the reserves to get some continuous football under their belt, both of them haven't played much football (in recent weeks)," Longmire said in this week's Centrum Team Selection.

"They need to be able to get back in, play the game, run around, get some conditioning and some touch.

"We obviously pick the best team we think can give us the best chance of winning. The 22 that played last week obviously did the job for us.

"While we're always looking forward to improve, in regard to those particular players we just felt the lack of match play they've had counted against them so they just need to play a bit more footy."

Nic Newman will be on the flight south as the team's travelling emergency.