Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for R8 v North

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    FWIW I would love to see no changes. The new guys who came in all played their roles well. Winners are grinners.

However, in reality Tippett and Rohan are best 22. But should only come back in if 100% fit. They are both the type of players that need to start stringing some games together to build up some match fitness and form. So if fit
    In: Tippett, Rohan
    Out: Naismith, Florent. Both unlucky but go back to reseves and keep playing well and be ready when opportunity presents itself again. Same for Newman.
    I'd be mighty tempted to bring Tippett back through the twos given what he has been serving up this season.

Off the first win of the year, no unforced changes for mine and I'd give Gary another week

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    No changes, but work on Reg's kicking, especially around the 15 to 25 metres range.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Greene's hit was quite deliberate as he attempted to spoil with his right then followed up with a premeditated punch to the mouth. Mills was an admittedly late and clumsy spoil.

If Greene's hit was an accident he's been harshly treated, but I don't think it was. it was assesesed as "intentional" by the MRP
    Yes, Greene's claim that it was a spoil gone wrong, is an insult to everyone's intelligence. Apparently, somebody with a history of whacking people to the head, wants us to believe, that he took a swing at the ball and missed by about half a metre.
    Really, Toby? You're a highly trained athlete, with excellent hand eye coordination: nobody believes that your aim is that bad.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Classic Waite. Potentially career best game and gets suspended. Will return from suspension and get injured straight up.

That guy is a complete *#%##%= �{*#+%...

No changes. Reward the mix that fought for our first win.

Emergencies: Tippo or Cameron (if Tip is unfit); Newman; Rohan.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post

Sam Reid has done what he does ever year; never take a game by the scrap of the neck and dominate; trade end of year.

Quote Originally Posted by controlink View Post
    Trade Reid?

Sure, it'll be easy to find a tall player with that mobility and ability to play forward, back and wing to replace Reid.
    Exactly. Reid sacrificed his game for Buddy. A brilliant decoy.
    I often wonder if he could play a similar role to Goodes and just go wherever he needs on the field. He is contested game and clean hands is underrated
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Our backline still leaked a lot of goals for the relatively small number of inside 50's our midfield gave up. Expect some changes back there.
    I dont know how long we can carry McVeigh's "leadership" which doesnt translate into stats.
    He's played one game so far and it was our first win. I'm not sure we can say we're "carrying" him at this stage

Our backline still leaked a lot of goals for the relatively small number of inside 50's our midfield gave up. Expect some changes back there.
    I dont know how long we can carry McVeigh's "leadership" which doesnt translate into stats.
    Our backline has been leaking a lot of goals in the first six weeks without McVeigh. I actually think he played well. He played up in the mids too at different times. Maybe we are watching different games?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Our backline has been leaking a lot of goals in the first six weeks without McVeigh. I actually think he played well. He played up in the mids too at different times. Maybe we are watching different games?
    Having Macca back in the side seemed to coincide with the backs looking less frantic and more balanced. Sure Macca is getting old, for a footballer, but his still seems to have a quick footy brain and more time than the average footballer to make a decision around a contest. Kinda like Heeney seems to able just move in and around a contest with a lot more ease than most, like the game is moving slower for him.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

The ball spent way too much time in our defensive 50 last year. We had a difficult time getting the ball out of there, but these problems were painted over by great defensive play by the likes of Reg, Smooch and Rampe, including their ability to rush a behind and restart the process again with another kick in. We were able to absorb a lot of pressure without leaking that many goals.

The change of rules involving rushed behinds and deliberate OOB has reduced our ability to kill the ball when under high pressure. The loss of Rampe and targeting Mills as a defensive weakness is also hurting.

I think there has been a recognition of this problem evidenced by some changes in the backline. Marsh has replaced Laidler, offering more speed and rebound. Melican was introduced, again to add speed as well as kicking prowess. Zak Jones is providing more run and carry. Macca doesn't offer much in the way of pace, but if he can hit the kick in accurately and consistently, it helps to get us out of the danger zone.

I think we will need to bring back Newman and Aliir to complete this stage of the transition to a more versatile and dynamic defence. Reg will sadly need to drop out, despite being a very solid defender. He can't cover the increasing mobility of forwards and slows down the transition from defense to offense.

A lot also will depend on how well the rest of the side contribute to first getting the ball out of our defensive zone by offering more options from both our tall marking players and runners, and second by providing the next passage of play moving the ball to our scoring half of the ground. This is what the good teams are doing now and why they are winning. We just can't be kicking to a contest near the boundary over and over again. We saw better movement against Brisbane, but they're a young inexperienced team. It will be a much greater test against a much more experienced defence this week.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Having Macca back in the side seemed to coincide with the backs looking less frantic and more balanced. Sure Macca is getting old, for a footballer, but his still seems to have a quick footy brain and more time than the average footballer to make a decision around a contest. Kinda like Heeney seems to able just move in and around a contest with a lot more ease than most, like the game is moving slower for him.
    Lets not be silly about this. He was Sydney's 17th best player by stats, and I recall at least one clanger that led to a Brisbane goal.

I would saying Brisbane seemed to coincide with the backs looking less frantic and more balanced. Really, Brisbane put in a very poor display of pressure, and that Eric Skipwood (sp?) bloke shoudnt be getting games in teh NEAFL, let alone the AFL if last Sunday was a guide.

No doubt Horse has a higher opinion of McVeigh than I do, so if he's prepared to play him straight in the seniors after injury, then I'm sure he will keep his spot for the next few weeks regardless of his stats. He'll cost us a game or two like he did last year, but probably doesnt matter to much this year.

Lets not be silly about this. He was Sydney's 17th best player by stats, ...
    homer_vigilant1.jpg
    Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast