Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for R8 v North

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I'm happy to lay in to McVeigh when he isn't performing.
    Not personal at all, I'd do the same for any Swan.
    In the past I've been a critic, and may well be again, but i saw good reason for bringing him back, and I thought that he did what was required.
    As others have said, not too bad for a first game back.
    He made less stupid errors than usual, and brought some much needed leadership and kicking skills.
    There are three lines of thinking in this thread:
    - We won. Therefore everyone in the team played well regardless of stats or stats rolled up into fantasy point summary.
    - We won because of leadership, despite this being difficult to measure, and leadership is attributed on a sliding scale of oldest to youngest, or favorite to least favorite to suit your point of view.
    - Direct player analysis irrespective of the result.

For example, Dean Towers is a mature age player, experienced, captain of the 2's, got a lot of the ball, came into the side as we had our first win. Surely his "leadership" index must be higher than McVeigh for this game? lol.

It was clearly leadership that turned the game in our favour.

Brisbane were without their captain for the game, so they were seriously outnumbered in the leadership stakes, having only 1 ex-captain versus our full captain plus an ex-captain. If McVeigh were playing for Brisbane, then they would have had 2 ex-captains versus our 1 inexperienced captain, and the result might have been different.

Brisbane also have a very small leadership group, consisting of Joh Bjelke-Petersen (deceased) and the Loins' mascot.

North Melbourne are also down on leaders with ex-captain Andrew Swallow dropped from the senior squad. They are now being captained by Byron Pickett Jr., who leads by example, although a poor example.

In - Newman, Allir, Tippo
    Out - Florent, Smith, Reid

Sinclair and McVeigh keep their spots. Didn't think I'd be saying that.
    Towers is on the up. All the naysayers will soon be changing their tunes. He looks a stronger player to me.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Goes up to 11
    Macca will be better for the run and it was good having him there to help organise the youngsters.

And his sweet scything pass to Buddy in the first minute was sublime and for me the highlight of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    In - Newman, Allir, Tippo
    Out - Florent, Smith, Reid

Sinclair and McVeigh keep their spots. Didn't think I'd be saying that.
    Towers is on the up. All the naysayers will soon be changing their tunes. He looks a stronger player to me.
    If Thomas comes back into the Roos lineup, who do you propose lines up on him.

Veterans List
    Thomas won't come back. He will go for a very bad point of the elbow to a players head in the 2's. Was a low act.

Our injury list is suddenly looking very good with only AJ out beyond round 9. I hear Ben Ronke will appear in a video game this weekend.

HCF Injury List
    Edwards (shoulder) test

Jack (hip) 1 week
    Johnson (knee) indefinite
    Laidler (Achilles) test
    Rampe (arm) 2 weeks
    Robinson (collarbone) test
    Rohan (concussion) test
    Tippett (hip) test

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Thomas won't come back. He will go for a very bad point of the elbow to a players head in the 2's. Was a low act.
    How very surprising.

The way he plays is just appalling.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Make it 3 weeks. My point is without Smith who lines up on the dangerous small forwards. Saints have Gresham playing well and Rioli the week after that. If we can win the next 3 games before the bye we can bring ourselves right back into contention. If we do, I have us in 11th place and 2 games out of the 8.

Veteran Site Admin
    There is zero chance of Smith not being selected in the team in the near future (unless he's injured).

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There is zero chance of Smith not being selected in the team in the near future (unless he's injured).
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    +1. Reg likewise.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast