Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for R8 v North

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    There are three lines of thinking in this thread:
    - We won. Therefore everyone in the team played well regardless of stats or stats rolled up into fantasy point summary.
    - We won because of leadership, despite this being difficult to measure, and leadership is attributed on a sliding scale of oldest to youngest, or favorite to least favorite to suit your point of view.
    - Direct player analysis irrespective of the result.

For example, Dean Towers is a mature age player, experienced, captain of the 2's, got a lot of the ball, came into the side as we had our first win. Surely his "leadership" index must be higher than McVeigh for this game? lol.
    Like you, I didn't agree with McVeigh coming straight back into the side. Not because I don't rate him, but because every time he's come back into the side after a long injury it's taken him many weeks to find form. Hopefully he plays well again this week and it wasn't an anomaly.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Like you, I didn't agree with McVeigh coming straight back into the side. Not because I don't rate him, but because every time he's come back into the side after a long injury it's taken him many weeks to find form. Hopefully he plays well again this week and it wasn't an anomaly.
    That's the same reason I have and so far that view still holds weight.

Also this year is entirely different to 2016 as we aren't chasing down a flag, which could be good or bad for McVeigh. I've helps the youngsters or makes his spot available for the yoof.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Our injury list is suddenly looking very good with only AJ out beyond round 9. I hear Ben Ronke will appear in a video game this weekend.

HCF Injury List
    Edwards (shoulder) test

Jack (hip) 1 week
    Johnson (knee) indefinite
    Laidler (Achilles) test
    Rampe (arm) 2 weeks
    Robinson (collarbone) test
    Rohan (concussion) test
    Tippett (hip) test
    Add a fit and firing Jack, Rampe, Rohan and Robbo into that side on the weekend and it really becomes a selection headache.

Right now I'd play Tippett in the twos this week but we all know that won't happen.

Massive game for us this week to kickstart the season, not like in terms of finals but just to get some momentum. Even if we go 3-7 at the bye it gives us a fighting of a break even season which in my book will be success from 0-6

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There is zero chance of Smith not being selected in the team in the near future (unless he's injured).
    Exactly! One of Horse Pets.

When the ball is coming into the defense quickly, and he is on a fast small forward, he is very vulnerable.

Reminds me of Hawthorn Josh Gibson, once was great, is no more, but the club can't bare to drop him to the two!
    doof-doof

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Our injury list is suddenly looking very good with only AJ out beyond round 9. I hear Ben Ronke will appear in a video game this weekend.

HCF Injury List
    Edwards (shoulder) test

Jack (hip) 1 week
    Johnson (knee) indefinite
    Laidler (Achilles) test
    Rampe (arm) 2 weeks
    Robinson (collarbone) test
    Rohan (concussion) test
    Tippett (hip) test
    I would definitely have some of these guys return via the twos. Sinclair did okay and improved over his previous outing. Don't see why Tippo should come back underdone. Ditto for KJ and Rohan, who looked bewildered prior to his concussion.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    Exactly! One of Horse Pets.

When the ball is coming into the defense quickly, and he is on a fast small forward, he is very vulnerable.

Reminds me of Hawthorn Josh Gibson, once was great, is no more, but the club can't bare to drop him to the two!
    LOL can you name me a defender who isn't in this situation?

He's been down this year admittedly, but I think he's shown better signs over the last couple of weeks. I don't think he's dropped off a cliff like Gibson who is 4-5 years older than him

Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    I would definitely have some of these guys return via the twos. Sinclair did okay and improved over his previous outing. Don't see why Tippo should come back underdone. Ditto for KJ and Rohan, who looked bewildered prior to his concussion.
    I can handle Rohan for Florent. assuming they bring Tippo straight in, which they will, should Naismith or Sinclair go out? I'm guessing Sinclair out.

If Robinson does come back in a week or two, who goes out? Towers, Hewett?

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    ... I'm guessing Sinclair out...
    He did look a lot better this week (but they all did) with good delivery and was actually pulling down some marks.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I can handle Rohan for Florent. assuming they bring Tippo straight in, which they will, should Naismith or Sinclair go out? I'm guessing Sinclair out.

If Robinson does come back in a week or two, who goes out? Towers, Hewett?
    Florent is the most natural to go out as he didn't do much in the Brisbane game. Although it's not a positional switch, Newman would be the best to replace him. With Macca and Newman in defence, we can release all of Lloyd, Mills and Jones to play mostly through the midfield. All 3 are good at getting the ball from the midfield into our forward line quickly.

Rohan comes in if we want to drop Towers. I'm ambivalent about this one despite not rating Towers, but he did play well against Brisbane and Gary hasn't done much this season and could perhaps look to get form and conditioning in the reserves this week.

Sinclair had a good game. I do like his hard work. It's been his marking and ball handling that let's him down. I think we should ask the question: Would Sinclair be in our best 22 as a key forward? I really don't think so. His rucking is only mediocre, so he really has to make it as a forward who fills in for the first ruckman. For Tippett, it's just a matter of form. When he is in form, he's one of the very best in the league at his position. Who knows what form he will bring to the game this week if he's chosen. It would be good to bring a more competent ruckman against someone of Goldstein's caliber.

Robinson will most likely have to wait for an injury or form drop to get back into the seniors. He's a decent player, but not yet in our best 22. We still need to work Aliir and KJ back into the senior side and would expect Rampe to come straight back when he is fit. As the injury list diminishes, the competition for spots rises.

Senior Player
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Rohan come back thru the twos. From (and including) the GF to the concussion hit, he has been unimpressive.

Towers seemed to lift a notch last week. Seemed a lot more confident with ball in hand, and would be unlucky to go down this week.

McVeigh more than justified his return. He is quite a calming influence down back. Of course, time will tell with him. He did appear slower in 2016, and this could be his swansong year. But certainly not this week.

If Tippett can find the form of early 16 in the next few weeks, he will be a vital figure in our second half.

Hayward is a big part of our future...still light , and needs management in order not to burn him out this season.

Sorry if some of this is bleeding obvious, but knee jerk reactions can be deceptive.

I would imagine Rohan and Tippett would come straight back in. But they are only worth it in the seniors if they are 100% fit. May get a run in the 2's if they only wanted a 1/4 or two game time.

How many possessions would McVeigh need to hold his place if we lost to North ?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I would imagine Rohan and Tippett would come straight back in. But they are only worth it in the seniors if they are 100% fit. May get a run in the 2's if they only wanted a 1/4 or two game time.

How many possessions would McVeigh need to hold his place if we lost to North ?
    I really do think they need to keep stats on 'pointing' and 'voice acts.' You can't judge his performance on possessions alone he is the best finger pointer in the team.

Barry, your method seems to be to go to the AFL Match Centre and identify the lowest DreamTeam points scorers to be dropped. So using this approach those going back to the NEAFL (in order) are: Florent, Smith, Reid, Hayward, McVeigh.

I really don't think you assess a players performance in that way or on a required number of possessions. What's your pass mark, 30 plus and 5 goals?

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast