Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round 7: Canberra Demons v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Manuka Oval

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Our next game is against the unbeaten Sydney Uni on Friday night at Henson Park for the Xavier Richards Cup

Senior Player
    Watched the second half.

There was plenty of aggro, mostly initiated by the Demons. 2-3 off the ball frees to the Swans in the second half alone. This was frequently related to Fisher. He was jeered by many in the sizeable crowd too. Seemed harsh to me given the dude was drafted.

Tippett dominated the third quarter - in the ruck and kicked three easily, including two from distance. Talk was up, body language good. Didn't play most of final quarter, I think just rested. Cameron came into it well in Tippett's absence; took a couple of contested marks and kicked well.

Rohan initially looked down on confidence, dropped an easy mark on the lead and dropped his head, but then, playing out of the centre, went on a couple of decent runs and kicked a couple. Didn't demand to play firsts.

Really liked Murray's game again off halfback. Quick and decisive with an outstanding penetrating kick. Willed the team on. A leader.

Dawson was everywhere, but I didn't think used it decisively.

Rose looked well down on confidence; gave away 2-3 HTB frees, including one in 5m from goal. Foote got some ball but didn't have an impact. Talia looked shaky with the ball (although snagged a fortuitous goal in the final quarter which he celebrated), but spoiled effectively.

Harry Carr was very good again. Kicked a cracking goal, where he got the loose ball tight in the pocket, was expected to centre it but instead dashed inside along the boundary line then arced out to snap one home.

Maibaum and Pink swapped in the final quarter, with Maibaum playing out of the goal square and Pink playing CHB. Maibaum competed very well, took a decent contested grab, but didn't manage to kick one. Pink looked good on a few occasions he touched it, clean with a good kick.

AJ was down here; he didn't run the water but was with the group at three quarter time (we wandered out and stood by them). He's a couple of cms taller than Pink.

Thanks as ever for everything, ugg. Excellent post MattW!

It's going to be really interesting to see who makes the seniors 22 if/when all our list is available, which could be very soon with a bit of luck.

Bring on Sydney Uni! Let's see if they're pretenders or the real deal. There is some chance I can make the game (if it doesn't get shifted to BISP as kept happening last year). What time will it start?

Incidentally who captained today and last week?

And I can answer my own last question: next week's game starts at 7 pm.

Jack was captain last week, towers the week before

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post

Good performance from S Wicks for his first neafl game.

wicks is rated from what I am hearing

At 16 yrs of age debuted in the top grade in Sydney afl competition for the manly wolves

My confusion is that I thought we sydney swans had the northern beaches, north shore and eastern suburbs and and southern Sydney then GWS had all the rest of Sydney ?

I believe gws have an affiliation with the wolves at manly ??? So why is wicks playing for the Swans in the neafl ?
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 14th May 2017 at 08:50 AM.

Great performance by Dawson

7 inside 50s and 8 tackles outstanding

I'd like to see Dawson even up his disposals in the interest of developing his inside capabilities for snr footy

We all know he can use his kick as a weapon and sitting just wide or just behind the contest he has a that awesome kick

But to be an AFL player at the Swans he needs to bring that ability to win the ball and distribute the hand pass with greater dominance when in traffic

To be our next Kennedy or Bont project let's see what Dawson had got inside the contest as we know he can play forward
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 14th May 2017 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    wicks is rated from what I am hearing

At 16 yrs of age debuted in the top grade in Sydney afl competition for the manly wolves

My confusion is that I thought we sydney swans had the northern beaches, north shore and eastern suburbs and and southern Sydney then GWS had all the rest of Sydney ?

I believe gws have an affiliation with the wolves at manly ??? So why is wicks playing for the Swans in the neafl ?
    The Wolves are in the swans zone. Wicks has been in the academy for 5 or 6 years. The gws association with manly was a sponsorship deal aimed at raising the profile of the gws across the northern beaches. Thankfully that arrangement has now finished and the manly Wolves have no association with gws. Wicks has some good upside as he is a hard playing Zak jones, Joel Selwood type who has plenty of body growth to come.
    I understand he got into the Canberra players yesterday and got a free in front of goals as a result. The swans boys got around him and then banged six goals on.
    Wicks had the second highest tackles for the swans with only about half the game time.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    The gws association with manly was a sponsorship deal aimed at raising the profile of the gws across the northern beaches. Thankfully that arrangement has now finished and the manly Wolves have no association with gws.
    Aint that the truth, quite possibly the most idiotic and destructive "sponsorship" deal I can remember.

Shows just how out of touch the numpties out at BVlacktown are with the local scene

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast