Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day Rnd 8. North Melbourne V Sydney. 16.40 pm. Etihad Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Swan15 View Post
    The negativity towards newman is crazy. Yes, his error lead to a goal and he had a poor 5 mins. Lets put it into perspective, from that point he regained his composure went on to have 30+ possessions and contributed to our win. All this from a kid in his 5th game. Newman should be receiving nothing but praise for what he did today.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Bravo! It's not just the negativity towards Newman. It's towards the whole team. By so called supporters of our team. Some just thrive on the negativity. FFS we just won by 42 points. Enjoy the win people. Feel good about it. I'm so proud how they have managed to turn things around. I love this team.
    And surely some can wait at least 24hours before calling for players to be replaced.

The negativity towards newman is crazy. Yes, his error lead to a goal and he had a poor 5 mins. Lets put it into perspective, from that point he regained his composure went on to have 30+ possessions and contributed to our win. All this from a kid in his 5th game. Newman should be receiving nothing but praise for what he did today.

He recovered very well and in the final washup had a very good game, I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. I admire the resilience he showed and it was great he didn't retreat back into his shell.

But I wouldn't judge on possessions alone, those two mistakes were clangers and any criticism well justified and personally I think there is a question mark over his intensity. For all his stats if he lets too many goals like that one in the first quarter he'll be playing twos before too long.

Hopefully he keeps on improving because we need his foot skills because our field kicking was still quite average at times today.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    Bravo! It's not just the negativity towards Newman. It's towards the whole team. By so called supporters of our team. Some just thrive on the negativity. FFS we just won by 42 points. Enjoy the win people. Feel good about it. I'm so proud how they have managed to turn things around. I love this team.
    And surely some can wait at least 24hours before calling for players to be replaced.
    I second that idea! its crazy. Yes he had a couple of defensive moments that were poor, but he Has only played 5 games not 100!! And 35 disposals at AFL is awfully impressive for me.

Don't want to put a damper on the win, but once again the umpiring was a disgrace. They somehow pulled out about 5 free kicks in front of goal for incidents mostly off the ball. Having watched the holds, push in backs, around the neck etc that happens to Buddy off the ball, it is infuriating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    He recovered very well and in the final washup had a very good game, I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. I admire the resilience he showed and it was great he didn't retreat back into his shell.

But I wouldn't judge on possessions alone, those two mistakes were clangers and any criticism well justified and personally I think there is a question mark over his intensity. For all his stats if he lets too many goals like that one in the first quarter he'll be playing twos before too long.

Hopefully he keeps on improving because we need his foot skills because our field kicking was still quite average at times today.
    If we are dropping players for a poor efforts leading to a goal not many will survive. Nick smith wouldnt have played for most of the year on that thinking. Maybe what we saw was a young kid finding his way after being dropped, selected, dropped. He could have dissapeared for thr remained of the game, I find it impressive what he was able to produce what he did today after a slow start.

But anyway each to their owm i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    So, three things for me.

The next d-head that says Grundy is expendable should be banned from RWO as a matter of principle. Ben Brown didn't get a look in today.

Papley adds such value. He's occasionally a bit excited, but adds an energy, pressure and pace to our game that is crucial. And like all good small forwards, if he can add the odd moment in the centre as he has the last couple of games, his bursts will be priceless.

Hayward really is going to be ridiculously good, touch wood. There were four or five things today that made you go wow. His kick into 50 to Towers in the first quarter, a shimmy through the middle, that handball tight on the boundary in the last quarter, a squared up kick into 50 in the third quarter, and the way he kept his feet and put on a few sharp steps to create space for his own goal late. Love him.
    Yep, agree with all those posts.

I think Horse and the match committee might be tempted to give him a rest next week and play Rohan instead, just to manage him. It's a big ask and I think there is a big risk in playing undersized players (as Hayward clearly is) too much too early. Heeney was a lot more developed and even Mills had a bigger body. But he looks every bit a superstar in the making.

I'm not worried if we don't make the finals, not worried at all as long as we show that endeavour that we did today. Getting games into the kids and the list deepening will stand will not be a bad thing. And another top 10 draft pick won't hurt us.

Having said that football is a funny old game and winning can be a real habit and I think that the top 8 may be a lower wins quota this year as all teams have already lost at least two games. Clearly we need to beat St Kilda but if we can go 4-6 to the Bye and then keep the squad on the paddock then 8-4 for 12 wins and a chance of finals is not crazy talk.

If we are dropping players for a poor efforts leading to a goal not many will survive. Nick smith wouldnt have played for most of the year on that thinking. Maybe what we saw was a young kid finding his way after being dropped, selected, dropped. He could have dissapeared for thr remained of the game, I find it impressive what he was able to produce what he did today after a slow start.

But anyway each to their owm i guess.

Do you even read my posts?

I think his response today was impressive and I've said it several times but they were world class f-ups in the first quarter and if you think any defender can make them regularly and get away with it you are na�ve. Of course all will make some from time to time but Newman needs to make sure they don't become a habit

Look I'm just not totally in the Newman love in camp that seems to operate here. I am allowed to have an opinion and mine is that he has elite kicking skills (tick), he seems to have a knack for finding the footy (tick) but I have questions about his speed and hardness at this stage for AFL footy. I'm not saying he doesn't have it, I'm just holding back jumping on the bandwagon for a while

Time will tell how he develops, at the moment he is coming along quite well
    Last edited by Mug Punter; 14th May 2017 at 10:21 PM.

Goes up to 11
    I liked Hewitt's game today. There were a few occasions where his ability to keep his feet in the contest won him some important possessions. He's coming along really well.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I liked Hewitt's game today. There were a few occasions where his ability to keep his feet in the contest won him some important possessions. He's coming along really well.
    He's playing a much harder inside role this season and I suspect finding it a challenge but overall he is coming along well. He has the build to play as a JPOK type inside player but building the tank takes time, I suspect he is totally rooted after games at the moment compared to last year when he swanned around on the half forward line.

In many ways it's as big a learning year as last year for him and we'll probaboy have to wait till 2018 to really see him blossom as a mid but for now he is doing his role well

Back home from the game

I think all of the criticism of Newman is rich - I think you'll find marsh played a part in 2 of the kangas 1st qtr goals

All of the whipping boys had good games today

Difference today was our midfielders turned up to play

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    That putrid effort against the Blues will come back and haunt us at the end of the season I suspect
    Not if we smash them at the SCG later in the season.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Fantastic win! Feels like we're getting this show back on the road, especially with the additional talent still to return. All the old firm had good games (Joey, Hanners, Parker) and heaps of others played well too, including Newman and Hewett, Heeney and Mills. Even Towers did well and for the second week running. He definitely cracked in a bit which was terrific to see.

A few people that were getting stuck in to Newman after his early errors probably owe a bit of an apology for ranting too soon.

Changes next week, as others have already said, might include Tippett, Rampe, Aliir and maybe Rohan in for Naismith or Sinclair, McVeigh, Melican and maybe Hayward, if he needs a break. In the weeks ahead Kizza and Robbo should return, and Macca too, although that will also depend on the form of the likes of Towers, Harry C, Marsh and Newman, who are perhaps the players most vulnerable. Simultaneously Florent and Hayward will continue to push for more games. What actually happens will be fascinating and may well depend on injuries as much as anything. At last it feels like we are not only getting back our best 22 but also have some depth to fall back on, depth that we know a little more about than we did before the season began, and deeper depth than we had last year despite the loss of Nank and Titch.

Exciting times! Bring on St Kilda - they will be a very worthy foe but I reckon we can get them, at least if we play like we did tonight. Even more, I can't wait to (hopefully) absolutely smash the Hawks the week after. I'm going to that match and taking as many mates as I can muster (which is looking like a fair few). Then it will be on for young and old against the Bulldogs after the bye and we'll really get a sense of where we have come since round 2.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    +1

Reggie is solid.
    2 weeks ago a few had him in the retirement bin.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast