Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Rnd 8. North Melbourne V Sydney. 16.40 pm. Etihad Stadium.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Its all in the mind with him.

Happy to see him do well, and worst case keep pressure on the top 22.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I've always thought Towers had what it takes.
    This year I've seen a bulkier, slightly more aggressive Towers and slight skill improvement.
    Holds his spot for now. Not saying consistently best 22, but he's on his way if he can continue the way he is.
    He seemed to have a run with role on Ziebell, and Rich last week.
    Did a reasonable job both weeks, but I think he will always be a fringe player.
    Still coughs it up too easily.

I thought our defence was pretty god yesterday. I know they were missing Waite, but the ball came out of there time and time again.
    They set up well and played a good team defence.
    Although we did hand North a number of goals with silly mistakes.

RE: Towers

I stuck by Towers for a long time. Even after last year's after-the-siren Richmond loss at the G. Then, I think it was after the Bulldogs game where he again took the wrong option that led to us losing another close one, I finally gave up on him. Not just because of that one bad decision but because of his general lack of hardness and deer-in-the-headlights game style (if not actual appearance too).

Clearly Towers has a lot of great attributes that led us to waste our first round draft pick on him. What's more he has played well these last two games and he's had some excellent matches in the past (I think especially during the 2015 finals series). But overall he just hasn't shown enough after having enough opportunity. I no longer think of him as best 22 - just a useful, versatile depth player who we can call, like Laidler (and possibly Marsh who may not make our best 22 either). If Towers can continue to play well in coming weeks he may hold his spot a while longer but even then, in the long term, I think that someone like Dawson, who is a not dissimilar player (tall, athletic, marking forward but with a bit less of a leap but better in most other departments) will take that spot away from him. Even sooner than that I rate Robbo ahead of Towers but I think Towers has to stuff up before Robbo can be called in to replace him. Robbo is more of an honest player and doesn't have quite the talent and flashiness that Towers can occasionally offer. But Robbo is more reliable and does his job with pretty good consistency for a player with just 12 games to his name.

I meant to say also ....... how much do the players love playing with papley !!!!!

His energy, grit and creative flair is imposing on the opposition but magnetic for his team mates to lift

Plus I hope the macca couple weeks out might be the opportunity for Newman to take over the link role with Lloyd.......he showed plenty yest and really stepped up with his run thru the middle

Jones can then spend more time in the midfield and Newman with more snr game time can jump ahead of Macca's role which is obvious that a youthful player or two need to take over this role anyway and Newman has had 5 years experience in neafl or vfl in the backline

Looks like last year I could be wrong re Newman.....I honestly did think he would fit into an evolving run and carry style of football off the backline which is dominating AFL right now

The top teams are so quick on the transition

Time will tell against intense forward pressure on our backline and their ability to control our transitions

Speaking of super quick run and carry transition I wonder how edwards is going in ressies ?
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 15th May 2017 at 02:26 PM.

Regular in the Side
    Comments of newman and mistakes a bit rich. Lloyd also makes plenty with his dinky kicks (like reg) wish he would cut them out. Horse really needs to iron out this problem with most guilty.

Senior Player
    A different team played yesterday it seems. Leagues better than what was served up in the first 6 weeks. Heres hoping the boys can continue this good form. Just bring the pressure every week, boys!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

I think we can put to rest that we need McVeigh in the backline pointing to win. Unless he was doing some serious long range pointing, including some monster 150m points.
    I was at the game and when he was moved to the forward line he continued his pointing and was instructing Hayward where to stand .

It's interesting how our games against North in Melbourne have niggles both on and off the ground. It was pretty heated in the crowd. I got into an argument with a north supporter about the deliberate rushed behind decision. He obviously had no idea that the rule had changed with regards to the distance from goal you are allowed to rush the behind. He kept going on about that he was under pressure and he wouldn't listen to me.

There was an interesting incident with David King. Just before the start of the third quarter I noticed he had come up into the crowd and was talking to a swans supporter. I thought he must have known the guy but then I realised his face was angry and he was berating the guy! I tried lip reading and I think he said "come and say it to my face you dog". I wonder what was said to him to make him go off??

As strange as it may seem, I think Towers' best role is an inside midfielder. There's not enough time to think about anything, just try to win the ball, kick it or run with it, and if the other side gets it, then tackle. He does this quite well. He certainly can play a 2nd ruckman against other 2nd ruckmen, like we will see this week with Josh Bruce.

He's been trying hard and there is improvement there, but still has a way to go.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I was at the game and when he was moved to the forward line he continued his pointing and was instructing Hayward where to stand .

It's interesting how our games against North in Melbourne have niggles both on and off the ground. It was pretty heated in the crowd. I got into an argument with a north supporter about the deliberate rushed behind decision. He obviously had no idea that the rule had changed with regards to the distance from goal you are allowed to rush the behind. He kept going on about that he was under pressure and he wouldn't listen to me.

There was an interesting incident with David King. Just before the start of the third quarter I noticed he had come up into the crowd and was talking to a swans supporter. I thought he must have known the guy but then I realised his face was angry and he was berating the guy! I tried lip reading and I think he said "come and say it to my face you dog". I wonder what was said to him to make him go off??
    Probably something along the lines of, "I will never forgive you David King for that gutless act you committed on Craig O'Brien in the 1996 Grand Final. Only a coward would do something of that nature."
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I would think nainsmith is more likely to make way for tippet than Sinclair. Tippet/Sinclair is a better combo IMO.

I think we can put to rest that we need McVeigh in the backline pointing to win. Unless he was doing some serious long range pointing, including some monster 150m points.

So far we've beaten 16th and 18th. Saints are our first real test of this mini revival.
    To be fair, Norf are better than 16th but there are two Norf's. Against Adelaide, we saw good Norf, against us, we saw bad Norf, so you may have a point. Agree that this week against the Saints is our first real test.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    As strange as it may seem, I think Towers' best role is an inside midfielder. There's not enough time to think about anything, just try to win the ball, kick it or run with it, and if the other side gets it, then tackle. He does this quite well... [removed references to Towers in the ruck]... He's been trying hard and there is improvement there, but still has a way to go.
    My thoughts exactly. A quick, evasive inside midfielder would be quite handy too.

I was a little surprised Reg didn't feature in the coaches votes. I thought he did a superb job on Brown yesterday. He only kicked two, one of which was for the ruck infringement right in front, which Reg had nothing to do with.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph