Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Rnd 8. North Melbourne V Sydney. 16.40 pm. Etihad Stadium.

Veterans List
    Just watched the replay. Newman was even better than I thought. He had a lot of 1%ers. After his 35th possession he looked genuinely shagged. Can't possibly see him going out.
    That was as good as Hanners has played for a long time. I don't think he had a turnover by foot.
    I can only wonder that up until last week we may not have been fully fit. The 3 big mids found yards in pace. The whole team looked fast. There was no dwelling on a contest. Up and at them for a 2nd and 3rd effort. Lloyd's running was a treat. It looked like he had a free hand to just roam around the ground.
    Tarrant beat Buddy? I don't know about that. Buddy only had to kick a couple more goals and he was BOG. He played in front, moved around the forward line relentlessly and created so much. He had 8 marks, mostly on the lead. I'd love to know how many kms he ran. It just showed the value of winning centre clearances with a bloke like him reading the play a treat. He just watches the footy, pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    As strange as it may seem, I think Towers' best role is an inside midfielder. There's not enough time to think about anything, just try to win the ball, kick it or run with it, and if the other side gets it, then tackle. He does this quite well. He certainly can play a 2nd ruckman against other 2nd ruckmen, like we will see this week with Josh Bruce.

He's been trying hard and there is improvement there, but still has a way to go.
    Bizarrely you may be right....

I know he cops a lot of flak here but I really think based on the last couple of performances he may come good. It must be very difficult playing every game knowing it could be your last and I do think that lack of confidence is a huge part of his issues. I really would like to see him carve out a good AFL career for some reason

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Just watched the replay. Newman was even better than I thought. He had a lot of 1%ers. After his 35th possession he looked genuinely shagged. Can't possibly see him going out.
    That was as good as Hanners has played for a long time. I don't think he had a turnover by foot.
    I can only wonder that up until last week we may not have been fully fit. The 3 big mids found yards in pace. The whole team looked fast. There was no dwelling on a contest. Up and at them for a 2nd and 3rd effort. Lloyd's running was a treat. It looked like he had a free hand to just roam around the ground.
    Tarrant beat Buddy? I don't know about that. Buddy only had to kick a couple more goals and he was BOG. He played in front, moved around the forward line relentlessly and created so much. He had 8 marks, mostly on the lead. I'd love to know how many kms he ran. It just showed the value of winning centre clearances with a bloke like him reading the play a treat. He just watches the footy, pretty simple.
    Spot on re Buddy. The analysis, including from Scott, that he was beaten by Tarrant is a fiction. As you say, dominated on the lead. Game high 8 inside 50s, 8 score involvements, 21 possessions.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Spot on re Buddy. The analysis, including from Scott, that he was beaten by Tarrant is a fiction. As you say, dominated on the lead. Game high 8 inside 50s, 8 score involvements, 21 possessions.
    Everything is relative for North when it comes to Buddy. They will never forget the day he kicked 13 goals against them, as a Hawk. I reckon he could kick half a dozen and they would consider his opponent had "won" the contest.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    At one point late in the game he just stopped moving and stood still after a couple of long leads, and did not try and get involved in the ensuing contest.
    I said to my daughter there is something wrong withe Buddy, he's not moving. He headed walked to the i/c bench and 5 minutes later was back on, so I can only assume he was spent, rather than injured.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Could it be that despite all the claims that Horse is predictable, using Buddy as a mid and letting other players kick the goals was a tactic to throw off the opposition game plan?
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Could it be that despite all the claims that Horse is predictable, using Buddy as a mid and letting other players kick the goals was a tactic to throw off the opposition game plan?
    If so, it works a lot better with Papley and Heeney back and Parker up to speed. We could still get a little more from our resting ruckman, too.

Senior Player
    Was it just me or did Buddy have a touch of the Mr Magoo's on Sunday.

I know he worked his butt off and kicked the special goal, but there were a few instances where he missed a couple of easy marks and fumbled a few balls he would normally gobble up.

Even the champs can have one of those days I guess

We expect so much from Buddy (due to past performances) that when he has an 'ordinary' day (equal to a lot of players' 'best' days) we comment on that. What happened to 'playing your role'? Does this not apply to Buddy? With Buddy 'playing his role' on Sunday, it enabled Sam Reid to bob up.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    Probably something along the lines of, "I will never forgive you David King for that gutless act you committed on Craig O'Brien in the 1996 Grand Final. Only a coward would do something of that nature."
    Yes, I always think of this whenever King pontificates now. He was a piece of filth on the field, and I just cant see him any differently now
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    At one point late in the game he just stopped moving and stood still after a couple of long leads, and did not try and get involved in the ensuing contest.
    I said to my daughter there is something wrong withe Buddy, he's not moving. He headed walked to the i/c bench and 5 minutes later was back on, so I can only assume he was spent, rather than injured.
    Yeah, I just thought he was spent. He acted that way, hands on knees, and like he just couldn't be stuffed.
    Probably mentally spent as well, given the day he had.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Spot on, he is not AFL standard. Can kick the ball and that's it, cannot win a ball at AFL level to save his life.

Directly responsible for two of the three NM goals, he'll be out next week when Rampe is back thankfully.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to see our mids playing better, think that Towers has had a decent first quarter.

McVeigh clearly crocked, again, we cannot keep on carrying him, surely a matter of time until an early retirement
    I think Newman saved his life on Sunday Afternoon........true
    We all say things in the heap of the moment.
    One think is for sure Nic can find the ball in the NEAFL and AFL

- - - Updated - - -

Thought Melican played well especially since he had not had a kick or handpass at halftime
    His spoiling and physicality was important.
    Just needs to learn how to win the ball