Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Day Rnd 8. North Melbourne V Sydney. 16.40 pm. Etihad Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    He played less than half the game, and about 25% in the second half.
    I'm amazed he played on at all. But he kicked 2 goals at a really important time. I suspect he'll retire before the end of the season.

Newman was our most damaging player today. 135 DT points with only 77% game time. Wins the ball and has a laser kick that's nearly always spot on. Was second best today for me after JPK. Parker and Hanners also back to their old selves.

Macca looks to be out with a hammy next week (so what else is new?) and Hayward needs a rest. Sinclair will likely lose his spot for Tippett.

Good 4 qtr game for us. We still need so work to do with our defence, but we will have a much different look with Aliir and Rampe back in.

Very happy with the endeavour and result today.

Random points

* Impressive response by Newman to bounce back from his first quarter brain farts. I guess it is a hard call to drop a bloke after he gets 35 possessions Having said that I am still not convinced he is part of our best 22
    * RWO whipping boys Sinclair and Towers both played quite well and whilst I suspect Sinclair will make way for Tippett I think both would be stiff to get dropped
    * Contrary to an earlier post I thought Parker played quite well and is playing himself back into form.
    * Melican also came back well after a dodgy start but I think he is still has some development and he certainly needs to hit the gym a bit but he looks promising
    * Not sure if Hayward needs a rest of if he is benefitting from the experience he is getting. He's been quiet of late but he has kicked 10 goals in 8 games which is tracking for a 25+ goals first year and I think we would have all taken that.
    * I think we really missed Papley and he is now fully match fit and a very important player for us, he was very good today
    * Heeney getting better every week, Mills is just contributing every week and is a quiet achiever and no complaints there

Next week will be a good test of where we are at. I'd expect Rampe in for McVeigh and Tippett in for Sinclair who can consider himself desperately unlucky if that is the case. You'd think Rohan will also come back in but who for? Towers you'd think who would also be very very unlucky or maybe Harry.

Down the track we still have Jack to come back in too so we now have some good selection dilemmas

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Newman was our most damaging player today. 135 DT points with only 77% game time. Wins the ball and has a laser kick that's nearly always spot on. Was second best today for me after JPK. Parker and Hanners also back to their old selves.

Macca looks to be out with a hammy next week (so what else is new?) and Hayward needs a rest. Sinclair will likely lose his spot for Tippett.

Good 4 qtr game for us. We still need so work to do with our defence, but we will have a much different look with Aliir and Rampe back in.
    I suspect that we'll rest Hayward next week too and bring back Rohan

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swansprincess View Post
    Geez, I love Grundy's ability to mark anything.
    +1

Reggie is solid.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Very happy with the endeavour and result today.

Random points

* Impressive response by Newman to bounce back from his first quarter brain farts. I guess it is a hard call to drop a bloke after he gets 35 possessions Having said that I am still not convinced he is part of our best 22
    * RWO whipping boys Sinclair and Towers both played quite well and whilst I suspect Sinclair will make way for Tippett I think both would be stiff to get dropped
    * Contrary to an earlier post I thought Parker played quite well and is playing himself back into form.
    * Melican also came back well after a dodgy start but I think he is still has some development and he certainly needs to hit the gym a bit but he looks promising
    * Not sure if Hayward needs a rest of if he is benefitting from the experience he is getting. He's been quiet of late but he has kicked 10 goals in 8 games which is tracking for a 25+ goals first year and I think we would have all taken that.
    * I think we really missed Papley and he is now fully match fit and a very important player for us, he was very good today
    * Heeney getting better every week, Mills is just contributing every week and is a quiet achiever and no complaints there

Next week will be a good test of where we are at. I'd expect Rampe in for McVeigh and Tippett in for Sinclair who can consider himself desperately unlucky if that is the case. You'd think Rohan will also come back in but who for? Towers you'd think who would also be very very unlucky or maybe Harry.

Down the track we still have Jack to come back in too so we now have some good selection dilemmas

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect that we'll rest Hayward next week too and bring back Rohan
    Robinson played a good game in the NEAFL too, I believe. Jack could be "available for selection" this week as well. I'm now excited rather than terrified by the prospect of St Kilda.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Just read through this feed and I simply can't understand how Newman could be copping any negativity
    Well, it could have had something to with the fact that he gave away a goal and then was weak as water to let another one soon after.

He then did well to regroup and contribute well, I personally don't think he's quite in our best 22 at this stage but he will be if he plays like that every week. I know he is still learning and I think his progress is above most of our expectations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    Robinson played a good game in the NEAFL too, I believe. Jack could be "available for selection" this week as well. I'm now excited rather than terrified by the prospect of St Kilda.
    We've got nothing to lose next week

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Billericay View Post
    I wouldn't think we'd be making too many changes. It won't do Robbo too much harm getting another game or so in the twos and I wouldn't be surprised to see Jack eased back via the NEAFL with half a game Friday.

Apparently we have played 36 of our list in the seniors in the first 7 weeks, far higher than any other team in the comp

Senior Player
    I agree with most of the selection changes for next week. Although I think Sinclair has been playing well enough to hold his spot. Naismith isn't jumping like he did last year and I think he tweaked his knee so even if is fit to play next week I think he should make way for Tippett and get a bit of form in the ressies again

We are finally getting to a point where we have some awesome selection headaches. I'd like to keep changes to a minimum because we are getting some good combinations going. However, in saying that, I can see the following happening:

In: Tippett, Rohan, Rampe
    Out: Sinclair (a bit unlucky), Hayward (managed), McVeigh (injured)

I find it hard to comment on games I'm watching on TV, but am interested in what people thought of Cunningham's game today. Looked like he was in the thick of it, and tackled well. Nico?

Aliir for Melican would be the other change being tossed up by the match committee I'd say, honestly not sure where I sit with that one. Logic would say that Aliir is ahead of him but there is something about the kid I really like. He needs a couple more pre-seasons in the gym but based on his season to date, at the very least he will be ready to be a long term defender for us when Reg retires at the end of next season.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    We are finally getting to a point where we have some awesome selection headaches. I'd like to keep changes to a minimum because we are getting some good combinations going. However, in saying that, I can see the following happening:

In: Tippett, Rohan, Rampe
    Out: Sinclair (a bit unlucky), Hayward (managed), McVeigh (injured)
    I'd be more than happy with that. If Sinclair plays like that every week on an extended basis he'll be very hard to leave out. Ruckman traditionally pick up knocks regularly so even as our third ruckman he'll get quite a few games you'd think

Senior Player
    Newman is going to be a 100+ game player for the Swans. Composed, great kick and clever. Made two mistakes today but 35 disposals today would mean he plays for a few weeks.

That putrid effort against the Blues will come back and haunt us at the end of the season I suspect

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast