Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Match Day Rnd 8. North Melbourne V Sydney. 16.40 pm. Etihad Stadium.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Utterly astonishing numbers!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by WauchopeAnalyst View Post
    Newman. Weak as water. Good kick. Cant defend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Spot on, he is not AFL standard. Can kick the ball and that's it, cannot win a ball at AFL level to save his life.

Funny stuff, boys. If Jonesy94 hadn't been delisted, he might have made you experts in comedy.

And hey, I'm supposed to do the jokes around here.

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    Did not defend well, deep. Very solid on the wing and the flank. Maybe I am wrong.

Hrovat is tiny and Newman was like a mosquito to him.

Sometimes you got caught out of position but at that moment you go hell for leather and trying to spoil or at least heavy contact.

Newman did nothing. Dont want to see another soft effort.

Smooch is our hardest defender and always used his body and hardness to spoil.

You defend differently outside 50 and on a lead.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yes, it is impressive, but it's slightly confounded by the fact that he is a mature age draft pick, whereas all the players he's being compared to weren't.

Totally agree re distorted when older player
    Also one week doesn't make a career

But ........I was fairly strong pre season on what I wanted our backline to look like and made that known on the forum

I did not want macca and Newman and mills in the backline together as way to slow in comparison to the elite backlines

I wanted a fast break transition backline

My hope was that edwards could forefill that role like the the top teams have exploited ie gws and Bulldogs

So it is only fair to praise efforts by a player in his 5th game only of Snr football ie Newman

Newman played such a good game against north and responsed when the backline looked shaky first qtr

He didn't just break wide and behind play which is easy for him

Newman gave and spread forward

He made second and third efforts to win the ball and used his hands more then usual

He continually put himself in the areas to maintain possession and provide an exit

Good for him and I know there is a divide on this forum on what we want for our backline and who is best to make our backline an attacking weapon yet still have tremendous speed to shut down mobile fast attack

Time will tell
    The sample is to small
    But what I saw was that Newman could easily do Macca's role and probably do it better with more versatility on the kick and to play thru the middle and wide / behind the play

Let's see the response next few weeks

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Utterly astonishing numbers!
    As Mark McLure noted on 360, we had 90 more possessions than them. North were putrid - good luck to Newman but I hope he doesn't think AFL footy is going to be that easy every week. In the meantime, he should watch the replay of that Hrovat goal over and over.

Totally agree re distorted when older player
    Also one week doesn't make a career

But ........I was fairly strong pre season on what I wanted our backline to look like and made that known on the forum

I did not want macca and Newman and mills in the backline together as way to slow in comparison to the elite backlines

I wanted a fast break transition backline

My hope was that edwards could forefill that role like the the top teams have exploited ie gws and Bulldogs

So it is only fair to praise efforts by a player in his 5th game only of Snr football ie Newman

Newman played such a good game against north and responsed when the backline looked shaky first qtr

He didn't just break wide and behind play which is easy for him

Newman gave and spread forward

He made second and third efforts to win the ball and used his hands more then usual

He continually put himself in the areas to maintain possession and provide an exit

Good for him and I know there is a divide on this forum on what we want for our backline and who is best to make our backline an attacking weapon yet still have tremendous speed to shut down mobile fast attack

Time will tell
    The sample is to small
    But what I saw was that Newman could easily do Macca's role and probably do it better with more versatility on the kick and to play thru the middle and wide / behind the play

I don't always agree with you, but I think that was a fair and considered response. Well played.

Time will tell
    The sample is to small

I find that an odd comment as I didnt see newman pointing or reminstrating to teammates at all. What are his leadership qualities ?

Lol bazaa
    One of ur best
    I had a good chuckle

Veterans List
    Harsh on Newman you lot. What more does a player have to do to get the plaudits of supporters. No matter how you look at it he played a blinder. Yep he went the wrong way and got caught, but one mistake, really. His kicking is superb and he finds the footy which is the first thing a player has to do.

We've finally found our Malceski clone, now we just need a kamikaze runner like Shaw and we should be good. Would that be Sam Murray?
    "In some ways we?re less predictable to ourselves and sometimes that can be detrimental because we don?t really know where we?re going" - P.Roos

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617