Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for R9 V St Kilda

Am I the only one who has Laidler in our best 22? I think he's a really underrated player and I'm never sure why he gets dropped. I think he has more upside the Marsh (besides age) and some of our other defenders.

Would like to hear peoples thoughts on why he isn't getting consistent games this year

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Am I the only one who has Laidler in our best 22? I think he's a really underrated player and I'm never sure why he gets dropped. I think he has more upside the Marsh (besides age) and some of our other defenders.

Would like to hear peoples thoughts on why he isn't getting consistent games this year
    He's hard, reads the play well, marks and kicks well but is really really slow. i like him but I can understand the reason he's not a regular.

Senior Player
    Is it time to push Nick Smith up into the mids as a true lockdown tagger?
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by moocher View Post
    He's hard, reads the play well, marks and kicks well but is really really slow. i like him but I can understand the reason he's not a regular.
    He's a good player, but I dont think we can beat the main contenders (dogs, giants) with him in the team.

The more i think about last years grand final, the more I believe it was lost a the selection table. We should have played Reid. He was fully fit, tearing up the training track, and would have provided an X factor the dogs couldnt counteract. Also, playing McVeigh and Laidler in the back half left us exposed. Should have brought in a younger player earlier in the year.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Harry C tagging Jack Steven would be a good call. It could take away so much of their outside run. But this could leave Harry open to the "your shorts are dirty" sledge, which could throw off his game.
    Nah, he'll be right. Can take it out on Jack S.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Agree with all of the above, his lack of pace is the killer for a player of his size in defence(even though he plays big). I love him as a player, happy to have him on our list as depth, but if he's in our best 22 then we're not really contending

He should probably be tried forward at NEAFL level ala Xavier Richards to see if he can reinvigorate his career there where his lack of pace can't be exposed so much. Could have a career as a swingman!

Laidler was a forward at one time, then became a defender and had a great year with the Blues. Malthouse made him play forward again, which he didn't want to do, and didn't really play all that well, then got delisted.

I really like Laidler, but don't think he's in our best 22. I've always said that he's the ideal 'depth' player. He wouldn't get picked up by another club at his age and he's a reliable player who probably would be happy to play in the reserves for reasonable pay just to stay on our list and extend his career.

Regular in the Side
    I am glad Laidler has been around, but agree if he is in our best 22 we will struggle ... a move forward sounds strange to me ... saw suggestion about Nic Smith as a tagger ... sadly my thought is that he is not the player he was this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Dunno how anyone could suggest we leave out Melican, he's doing really well. .....
    I agree. His pace is amazing. There was a play where he harrassed 3 guys on a wing by himself. Once he has 50 games under his belt he will be something.

He seems to like a bit of talk as well. We've got quite a few young players like that. Don't think I saw a shot of Heeney where his lips weren't moving.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Don't think I saw a shot of Heeney where his lips weren't moving.
    I think I miss the ruffed up look of his blonde hair. Looks a little too 'tailored' for me now.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    I think I miss the ruffed up look of his blonde hair. Looks a little too 'tailored' for me now.
    Maybe he should try the classic blond Swan coif:

Or maybe he would look good in a Derm

Last edited by Ludwig; 16th May 2017 at 07:36 PM.

Jack has been ruled out for at least another week..... but Rampe only needs to get through training...So for me..

OUT : McVeigh, Sinclair

IN : Rampe, Tippett
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast