Thread: Cooking with Courtney

Cooking with Courtney

We all know that a football team's success relies on more than just the skill of the players on the field. There is a huge team of coaches, physios, doctors, psychologists, nutritionists, chefs, bartenders behind them enabling them to perform how they do.

Too often we focus just on the players. This thread is for people to discuss key people involved with the club off the field. Specifically, Courtney Roulston. The club is giving us information on his work through the "Cooking with Courtney" column on the site. How do people rate his performance? Are his recipes tasty? nutritious? likely to be prepared by players and fans? What do you think? Speak up and have your say!

I'll kick it off with a review of his latest effort - Miso glazed eggplant salad

Summary:

I have only seen one of Courtney's recipes so far, but based on this effort (tasty and nutritious) I think he's got what it takes. He's not going to win any Michelin stars here, but he makes a solid contribution to the side. I enjoyed this recipe and will definitely be glad to prepare it again. It would go pretty well with a BBQ as you have already fired up the hot-plate which makes it easy to grill the eggplant.

Good:

- It's a simple game plan, fairly easy to execute which I like. Basically - grill eggplant. Throw everything else in a bowl. Brush bowl contents on eggplant. Bake. Simple!
    - It tasted great! I used a lot of toasted sesame seeds to make it extra good. (Mmmmmm, sesame!)
    - Healthy. It does have quite a bit of sugar in the sauce, but you aren't eating spoonfuls of it and other than that it's mainly veges.

Watch out for:
    - I went nuts with brushing the sauce on the eggplant but it would have tasted better with a more moderate coating of the sauce.
    - I overcooked the eggplant a bit when I was grilling it, which meant the consistency was a bit mushier than I would have liked. Thicker slices of eggplant would been better, and less time on the BBQ

YMMV / tips:
    - The recipe is quite sweet, which was ok with me but you might like to reduce the sugar a bit if you want it a bit more savoury.
    - Ingredients. I had everything in the cupboard or garden except the eggplant and some sesame seeds, so it was super-easy to pick up a couple of things and make this. If you don't have the ingredients, Mirin and cooking sake can be found in your regular supermarket (look in the japanese section in the "instant overseas meals" section). I'm pretty sure you can get white miso there as well, although I bought mine from the asian supermarket. If you're wondering what to do with the leftover ingredients, the mirin and sake can be used to make sushi rolls (maki) and the miso can be used to make miso soup. Both excellent things!

Mods, feel free to move to the appropriate forum. It's hard to argue that it is 100% related to the swans!

Are you sure Courtney is a 'he'? I thought she was a woman.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Are you sure Courtney is a 'he'? I thought she was a woman.
    Pretty sure she's a woman
    09231477ba53b3d8f88c636d2b2c42c7.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    Wow! No surprised the boys are smiling as they tuck into that dish.

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    Well there you go! My daughter is the Masterchef watcher :-)

Hilarious thread. I'm not sure to what extent if any it's meant tongue in cheek but I like it on both levels anyway. It's a worthy topic.

I haven't tried or even looked at any of the Courtney videos. In fact I wondered why the Swans were posting them (they don't post anything from their trainers, massage therapists, finance people and I'm sure they all have something they could offer too) but I suppose nutrition is a particularly important part of a footballer's (or aspiring footballer's) lifestyle and can be useful and interesting to the rest of us.

This photo makes me nostalgic. Would only have been 2015 but feels bittersweet seeing Teddy, Nank and the great one there enjoying the occasion and one another's company. Also makes me hope Sam doesn't leave. I don't want more cause for nostalgia. (Although, of course, it is inevitable. Life happens.)