Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 8: Sydney University v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Henson Park

Regular in the Side
    Ronke has not been on the injury list all year!!!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The weather forecast says 80% chance of rain. Are there any covered areas at Henson Park to watch the footy from?

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Ronke has not been on the injury list all year!!!
    This is because Ronke is the Traveling Emergency for The Injury List, which means that he's very close to senior selection. The Swans have been keeping this under wraps because they know the Herald Sun is ready to publish a"Victorian Clubs circling Ben Ronke" story, which his manager will use to push up his salary demands in contract negotiations.

This is a developing story. More to come.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The weather forecast says 80% chance of rain. Are there any covered areas at Henson Park to watch the footy from?
    Seems there is. But you better get there early.....Capture.JPG

Looks like it's being streamed

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    You're looking at the wrong Ca- team. All the ex-Giants are lining up for Carlton.
    LOL!

Eight former Giants on the Carton list, Marchbank is a winner, reckon Pickett may be in time, Plowman hmmmm, but reckon 5-6 are busts and they have given GWS a lot of good picks to secure just one very good player and a couple of question marks. In the fullness of time it may prove that all this trading with GWS did them no favours.

SOS had a squillion high picks at GWS and certainly got a lot right but he also got a lot of high picks badly wrong so jury is out on whether he is a good recruiter.
    Last edited by 707; 18th May 2017 at 11:52 AM.

Great game. I look forward to ugg posting the stats and mvp and coaches votes etc. Plus his match report!

My mate that had never shown a smidgin of interest in the footy wound up bailing with the weather so we didn't go but I reckon I'll try him again next time. Instead I watched online the next morning. Was a performance every bit as good as the seniors. My memory has faded a little but from memory the players that stood out included:

* Our backline all were solid: Talia, Maibaum, Laidler, Aliir, Marsh. Pretty formidable really. They didn't have that much to do. None of them demanded a recall to the seniors. I can't remember how much time Marsh spent on the ball but he looked good at NEAFL level when he got the ball.
    * Close to our best player was Darcy Cameron. He has a terrific work rate. An easy to find example of this was the first play of the game: he got the hitout, we lost the clearance and then he intercept marked the ball near defensive 50 moments later. He was like that most of the game. Good tank. Seems ready to step up to AFL level if he is called upon.
    * BJ was busy and showed leadership but didn't do anything to suggest he has the skills at AFL level
    * Leonardis and Rose were ok but didn't impress.
    * Fisher had a much better game than last week and was involved and scored goals.
    * Dawson didn't play - he was travelling emergency.
    * Florent was really classy, especially in the wet conditions. He definitely stands out and will surely be a regular in the seniors in future. Potentially even this week. Who is going to get called up for Harry C? Dawson? Florent? Aliir? Kizza? Robinson? I reckon it will be one of them. I reckon Kizza should return via the 2s. Aliir is not like for like (which didn't stop them switching Florent out and Newman in a couple of weeks back) so I reckon he won't come in unless they decide to give Melican a break (I hope not - I think continuity is good and Melican has been solid despite not racking up many stats). Much as Dawson deserves a reward for his body of work capped by his great effort two weeks ago, I think Robbo should be the picked to return to the team as he did enough to show he has recovered from his injury. He is a valuable utility player and I like him. Then again, it may come down to match ups.
    * Pink didn't stand out this week but I still really like him. Gives good effort and I think he makes good decisions too. He will hopefully just continue to improve the more games he gets into him. He's still so young.
    * Murray? Did he even play? I can't remember. Is he injured?
    * Foote was merely alright.
    * Fox had a good game. He played on the ball a fair bit but also went forward and kicked at least one goal I believe.
    * Edwards was good. Very energetic, as ever. I didn't notice signs of his shoulder (?) injury. Some good disposals.
    * Robbo was one of our better players.
    * I don't remember O'Riordan much. I guess he was part of the solid backline. He hasn't been using his pace as much this season. Didn't, from memory, do anything spectacularly good or bad.

So my bests would be something like: Cameron, Fisher, Florent, Edwards, Robinson, Marsh. But it's hard doing this days after watching the match and I've probably stuffed up somewhere.
    Last edited by bloodspirit; 23rd May 2017 at 10:16 AM.

Murray was not named for this game. No news on his absence

Robbo was hit late and high by Zac O Brien who was reported. It happened while the stream was offline with issues so we can't see how bad it was

A lot of niggle in this game which was a little surprising for me with many Uni players having a connection to the Swans

Aliir had an altercation with Bonney which looked horrible when watching it live as it seemed as if Aliir just punched Bonney in the face but on replay it was an open hand push to the chest

When Richards kicked a big goal from outside fifty he went around offering high fives to Swans players which got under the skin of Brandon Jack in particular who was really incensed and really wanted to have a go at X. Eventually a free kick was paid against the Swans and Uni kicked a second goal but I'm not sure who was the culprit

On the Rookie List
    Robbo cannot take a trick. I understand Robbo's jaw took the OBrien hit. Includes broken teeth and a fractured jaw. He will be out for many weeks.

NEAFL MVP votes
    Sydney University v Sydney

9: Oliver Florent (Sydney)
    5: Darcy Cameron (Sydney)
    5: Brandon Jack (Sydney)
    4: Jeremy Laidler (Sydney)
    3: Tom Young (Sydney Uni)
    2: James Rose (Sydney)
    1: Lewis Stevenson (Sydney Uni)
    1: Aaron Day (Sydney Uni)