Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 8: Sydney University v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Henson Park

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Round 8: Sydney University v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Henson Park

NEAFL Round 8: Sydney University v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Henson Park
    Friday 19th May 2017
    7:00pm

Sydney Uni are promoting this game heavily, see below for details. Note inaccuracy about Giants not playing in Sydney as they are hosting Richmond Saturday twilight at Spotless Stadium.

Ex-Swans Xavier Richards and Jack Hiscox are playing well for them this season along with a big bunch of ex-Swans Academy players including the majority of last year's NEAFL Development squad - Darcy Baron-Hay, Ryan Hebron, Matt Wilson, Ned Reinhard and Nathan Cooper.

Friday Night Community Football: SUANFC vs Sydney Swans - Sydney University Australian National Football Club : Sydney University Australian National Football Club

On Friday night, SUANFC will face the Sydney Swans in a blockbuster Friday night NEAFL clash at Henson Park.

In what�s set to be a cracker of a match, the two top four sides will do battle from 7pm, with plenty happening off the field too.

A full canteen will be operating for the entire game, along with a foodtruck, ensuring supporters of all ages will have plenty of food to choose from come May 19th.

There will be kids activities off the field throughout the night, while Auskickers from our junior-affiliated Clubs will take to the field at halftime of the NEAFL clash for a kick under lights.

With neither the Swans or Giants AFL sides playing in Sydney that week, Friday night community football, presented by Bendigo Bank, provides a great chance for families to enjoy local NSW football in a great environment.

Entry to the dog-friendly Henson Park is free, with some on-site parking available.

On the Rookie List
    And I for one am looking forward to this game. It may help answer a few questions like:
    1. How good is the depth of the current list? SU should provide our biggest test (ignoring R1 loss) given most of our troops are back on deck
    2. Did Beetson make the right decision in ignoring last years development crop and investing in new talent. My guess is that the 2016 Academy crew will have had this date writ large on their calendars since the draw was released.

I am guessing there will be minimal changes from last weeks NEAFL team given the six day turnaround and the quality of the win over the Kangas.

This game looks like a ripper. Can't wait!

- - - Updated - - -

This game looks like a ripper. Can't wait!

Given uni is a non afl side the swans have to play two under 18 academy players. It will be an awesome experience for the two kids that get a run!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Given uni is a non afl side the swans have to play two under 18 academy players. It will be an awesome experience for the two kids that get a run!
    Really? I thought that under the last NEAFL revamp they did away with restrictions on who the AFL clubs could play. That said, I am sure there are U18 players who will equip themselves well.

First, ugg, thanks for getting this thread rolling early this week. I was pining for it last week until it started.

Second, this game does look like a ripper and I'll be going. I've also invited a mate and his two boys, all of whom have no existing interest in footy and they're gonna come... so who knows.

Third, here's hoping a good turn out leads to more games being fixture at Henson instead of bloody BISP which is too far away. Henson and Drummoyne are both great options and more convenient for more Swans fans. What happened here? Last year all the Swans games at Henson and Drummoyne kept getting re-fixture-d to BISP at the last minute.

Go Swans. Let's show the comp who's boss.

p.s. Will it be free and will there be parking?

Yes, it most certainly is free and there is limited parking inside the venue.

Fingers crossed the weather holds off.

It's great to see Uni going so well and that the increased standard of local footy, via those who have come through the Academy, is now becoming apparent. Get one strong NEAFL team based on Sydney then start to build up a second one. Soon there will be more ex-Academy players who want to play NEAFL, and are good enough, than there are spots for them, so that'll be the obvious move.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    It's great to see Uni going so well and that the increased standard of local footy, via those who have come through the Academy, is now becoming apparent. Get one strong NEAFL team based on Sydney then start to build up a second one. Soon there will be more ex-Academy players who want to play NEAFL, and are good enough, than there are spots for them, so that'll be the obvious move.
    Yes, I also think that it's a good thing that Uni is doing well, probably through an influx of a few previously listed Swans and young guys that went through our academy and didn't quite make the grade. As you say, it will increase the standard of the NEAFL: which will give our reserves more genuine match practice. I also suspect that, at least some of the players that didn't quite make it previously, are still on our radar. That is, if a player who wasn't drafted as an 18 year old, plays an excellent season or two with Uni, then there's no reason why we can't draft him. In fact, there's a fair chance that some of the players would've been told just that.
    I'm also a bit surprised that the other clubs haven't really been running with it. I mean, Southport only has a couple of ex-Suns, and I didn't recognise too many ex-Giants when I looked at the Canberra side the other day.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    You're looking at the wrong Ca- team. All the ex-Giants are lining up for Carlton.

I'm just waiting to see what Dawson does.

If he repeats what happened last week, against stiff opposition...we have one here.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Looking forward to Ben Ronke's debut. It's been a long wait. Good not to see either Ben or COR's name on our injury list.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    You're looking at the wrong Ca- team. All the ex-Giants are lining up for Carlton.
    "So, SOS, what do you think you can bring to the position of list manager at Carlton?"
    "Ummm, probably about a quarter of the GWS list."
    "Oh, okay then...you're hired."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast