Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What did XR do?

On the veteran's list

What did XR do?

What has happened with Xavier Richards that has caused his banishment from the AFL system? A young grand final player with his speed and height. There has to be more to the story than meets the eye.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Veteran Site Admin
    I reckon his comment, after leaving the Swans, that he wasn't too fazed if he didn't get onto another club's list might have put a few clubs off. And it probably wasn't just a poor comment to make. It quite probably reflects how he actually feels.

He's probably underachieved during his time at the Swans, given his athleticism. Clubs demand players who live and breathe AFL and want to do everything to push for a spot. I suspect that just isn't what X is about, which is fine. It's not the be all and end all of life.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It's not the be all and end all of life.
    What!

Senior Player
    It's a very strange scenario on all fronts

Why request a trade without a guaranteed offer from a Melbourne club at the other end?

I don't think he's ever going to be an elite AFL player, but surely one of the Melbourne clubs should have taken the punt on him once he was delisted, his odds of carving out an AFL career would be much higher than most of the rookies selected yesterday

I don't subscribe to the theory that clubs steered clear just because he said he wasn't going to be upset if he didn't get selected. We've seen players with actual issues and attitude problems selected time and time again

As for his manager, I can't imagine he's going to have new clients knocking down his front door

He put his hand up (like, WHY would you do that?) and then priced himself out of the market.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

He probably seen as a list-clogger. The harsh reality is that at-best he was handy for us. Did nothing in the finals, and thats what players are judged by.
    He never played that one break-out game which showcased his maximum ability. Therefore his maximum ability is a couple of goals, and 10 possessions. (relax, its a guess)

There is little point having a player on your list that cant stand up in finals. Finals is what its all about.... unless you are Richmond.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    He put his hand up (like, WHY would you do that?) and then priced himself out of the market.
    Played poorly in the finals, but it was his first finals series, so its not unusual. Has too much talent to be wasted, I suspect there is some mental health issues and that's why clubs are reluctant to take him. Otherwise it makes no sense.

Warming the Bench
    I think it's just a case of someone being home sick and not wanting to stay in Sydney even if it means a change in career. Like all of us he probably thought this would be his last year in Sydney but then he surprised everyone with a fruitful transition to the forward line. He might surprise us all by working his way back to AFL football but I suspect he is now going to pursue another career

Not sure what X was on. Lets say less than $100,000. Thats not much for the sacrifices a footy career requires, not to mention the damage it does to your body.

Maybe he just said to himself, if I'm going to put myself through AFL, I need at least $300,000 to make it worth it. Otherwise I'm better off focussing on another career where I can earn $100k+ easier.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Looking at the club from a business point of view, this was a good exercise for the club as a cautionary tale for the younger players.

Our ongoing success will be determined in how we handle the wage expectations of the lower part of the list - and in this case it was shown that X turned down the best offer.

As long as we can replace his output in the short term (and I think we can) then its a positive outcome imo.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

probably listened to a manager who fed him BS......the same type of guy that signs up a player like McCarthy, Gartlett etc etc on 3 yrs deals then try to get them home 3 months later

I wonder if Essendon spoke to the Swans for a reference and didn't like what they heard

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast